1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Monitor Advice/Recommendation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 23 Oct 2020.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

So my monitor has met an unfortunate end.
    [​IMG]

A guardian angel is assisting me in replacing it, looking at getting an ACER NITRO XV272UP
    [​IMG]
    27", 1440p, 144hz, freesync (and gsync compatible), IPS, "1ms response" £320.

Has reviewed well here. Thoughts people? Any counter suggestions?

2. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

What's your maximum budget?

I find the Acer Nitro range is their budget range, so don't expect much for your money.
    No HDR if using freesync or Gsync. Though HDR400 is entry level. It's OK, but if you want true HDR, then OLED is the only way.
    Not a true 10bit panel either, and you are limited to 8bit 4:4:4 at 144Hz, dropping down to 120Hz, you can enable 10bit, but you really won't notice a difference here either.
    Input lag is mediocre at 4ms.
    Also to note, this does not have an Nvidia Gsync module inside the monitor, it relys on the VRR implemented in DP, which makes it Gsync compatible, not Gsync Ultimate.
    So you may find it only works from 48Hz up to 144Hz. The latter being, it will run from 1Hz to 144Hz.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

The_Crapman likes this.
  4. The_Crapman

I'd say £350 is the budget, maybe £400 at a stretch. This seemed to be the best in that price range as most are va panels. It'll be run with a 5700 so gsync isn't essential, just a bonus should a better Nvidia card fall into my lap. Anything with proper gsync is a good chunk more expensive so not viable.

Edit: my old monitor was a U2412M, so only 1920x1200, 60hz, but a quality IPS panel. However, I've been using a 10year old led LCD TV for a year now, so when I get this and set back up upstairs at a desk, practically anything will look a million times better. lol

Last edited: 24 Oct 2020
  5. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

If you can stretch a bit more, then I think you will be blown away by the response of the LG UltraGear monitors.

LG 27GN850 is around £439.

I have the LG 38GL950, and many people who have owned the Predator x34 says the response is night and day.
    I've owned a few 144Hz monitors before, and 144Hz really didn't feel like a difference over 60Hz. The LG, I can see what all the hype is about.
    Nano IPS, although you will lack a bit in contrast, you gain so much more in being one of the fastest IPS out there in response times and input lag.

That said, go with what you can afford.

6. The_Crapman

Given someone has offered to buy it for me I'm not sure I'm comfortable asking for so much, but certainly one to think about. Thanks.

7. The_Crapman

Did you enjoy using/see any benefits to a 21:9 monitor?

8. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Yes, I do enjoy it, especially over my last display.
    I had a 49" Acer 4K monitor before, which is a little wider than the 38" ultrawide I have now.
    Do I miss the extra height that true 4K has? - Not really. 1600px works well, the 3840 width in this ultrawide fills my view at the length it is. So I do feel fully immersed in games that support this aspect ratio.
    That said, if a game is only 16:9, then I have setup a custom res of 2880x1600 to give me a full height image at 16:9 ratio with black borders either side.
    Ultrawides do have benefits of not needing as much grunt to run the res compared to 4K.

Obviously if you plan to go up from a 27" to 3440x1440, then you will need more grunt to run it. The 5600xt I am currently using to drive my 3840x1600 monitor, does well on medium to high settings depending on what games you play.
    You can of course setup a custom res of 2560x1440 on a 3440x1440 monitor for games that don't support 21:9.

For gaming, 21:9 can be immersive with games that support that aspect ratio.
    For productivity, most definitely a big advantage if you are moving to a monitor with more pixels, where Windows scaling is at 100%. (My 49" monitor, Windows says 300% is the recommended scaling settings. even though at 100% it had the same pixel density as 4x 24" monitors. So it was very useable.
    The ultrawide, Windows recommends 100% scaling, so apps are normal sizes to take full advantage of the resolution.

Last edited by a moderator: 24 Oct 2020
    wyx087 and The_Crapman like this.
  9. The_Crapman

So confirmed budget at £350, which definitely puts getting anything even half decent at 3440x1440out of the picture, so that was my decision was made for me and obviously that would be the dell S2721DGF. :eyebrow:

It was a monitor that had come up in a few "best 1440p monitors", every review couldn't suck it hard enough. 165hz freesync premium pro, better brightness than the others, but was out of stock everywhere like it had been discontinued. But on one last look it popped up at itcsales.co.uk as a refurb. Pretty sure that's the reincarnation of the Dell refer site everyone here used to use. Pinged the link over to the person buying it, they said they couldn't open it. Weird, opens on my phone in messenger, but open it in chrome and the page craps out. Fine, tell them the site and the model. They've seen the message but not replied, must be buying it. Oh it's gone from 4 available to 1. Still at 1, not heard back. Still at 1. Still at 1. And gone. Message comes in, good news is here. No he missed it. :rollingeyes: Still, shouldn't complain I'm getting a new monitor bought for me. lol

So I've gone with the Gigabyte G27Q Andy linked, only from overclockers as delivery schedule was a bit vague from Amazon. It has freesync premium Vs plain base level freesync of the Acer unit and allegedly better colour saturation.

Will still be a big step up from my u2412m and even more so from the TV I've actually been using for a while. Looking forward to getting isac back and setting everything up properly upstairs, going to try and do stuff at a desk as much as possible in preparation for returning to work.

Thanks for all your help @Vault-Tec and @true_gamer :thumb:

Guest-44432 and Vault-Tec like this.
  10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I doubt I would have bought a refurb monitor tbh. The pixel problem could be something they cover their asses on completely. At least with a new one you can back it for any reason you like.

I think the stand on that Acer would have driven you nuts mate tbh. It looks awful skinny and flimsy. At least the GB one has some substance to it !

11. The_Crapman

12. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

The_Crapman likes this.
  13. The_Crapman

That's a right old bargain. If £350 could be considered a bargain. lol