1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Books you are currently reading?

Discussion in 'General' started by Weekly_Estimate, 7 Nov 2010.

1. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

The History of Bees was a very interesting and different take on a sci-fi story.

Read Fahrenheit 451, loved it, shockingly accurate in its description of many of today's issues in society. Followed that up with In A Glass Darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu. These old tales with their (as we may see it today) naivety and slower pace, pretty innocent by today's standard, coupled with the archaic language.... Love it.

Now reading a Jack Reacher novel. Just some very relaxed reading which let's you turn off your brain. Sometimes that's just nice.

Arboreal likes this.
  2. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Same here lol, love Brandon Sanderson and been toying with WoT. I actually started WoT a couple times but I don’t know if I have it in me to stick around for the long haul.

I find the LotR-esque (LotR - Lord of the Rings) story doesn’t quite grip me as much as other epic fantasy series such as Malazan or Game of Thrones

In other news, just heard about Isaac Asimov in another thread and started reading his Foundation. Loving it! I find the writing relaxing yet engaging. Kind of writing that leaves you with warm, pleasurable feelings. Only criticism for now is it looks like quite a short book! I have a feeling I’ll be left wanting more.

Last edited: 7 Jul 2020
  3. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Dont worry, there are plenty of other Azimov books/series. Just move on to the rest of the Foudation if you're enjoying it, the later ones are longer!

4. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Ooh that’s exciting! Looking forward to savouring some more :happy:

5. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

I assume you saw my post in the Vidoes of Awesome thread?

6. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Yeah thanks! Planning to read them in the order of being written as you recommended

MadGinga likes this.
  7. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I hearily recommend The Complete Robot in particular as an entrypoint. Has some fantastic short stories, a great toybox of sci-fi ideas that get taken off the shelf, thrown around for a few pages, then put back. Kinda like Rick & Morty but non-comedic. Excellent as a toilet book.

8. perplekks45

Finished quite a few books since that post.
    • Tenet (screenplay) - Christopher Nolan
    • Tales from the Folly - Ben Aaronovitch
    • The Evolution of the Weird Tale - ST Joshi
    • A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
    • The Island of Doctor Moreau - H. G. Wells
    • several comics
    Right now I'm reading too many books at once because none really grabbed me yet:
    • Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe
    • The Jungle Books - Rudyard Kipling
    • Black Night's Agents - Fritz Leiber
    • Seven to Eternity (comic) - Rick Remender

9. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I have started M L O but paused it to read something less taxing late at night, Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman's Long way down.

I read them years ago and it's great to have them out again, but Gibson does like to keep you on your toes.

Having read the Blue Ant trilogy a couple of years back, I think that's my favourite series from him.

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Watched Long Way Round and Long Way Down again quite recently... in readiness for watching Long Way Up on Apple TV :grin: (which just finished last week...)

Never read any of the books though.

11. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Only the last episode to go on LWU :(.
    Not an Apple person, but the free 1 year Apple Tv sub that came with my iPad Mini* has been good. * Because DJI drone apps...

Will probably re watch LWD as it's on there having read most the book.

I can send it to CF with the 'boy' after Christmas break if you like, if you can brave a trip to student land :eek: It's hardback (from charity shop), so not so good to post!

Next book is a departure for me, (another charity shop special...), autobiography of a female 'Int 14' (The Det) operator.

Really need to re engage with The Expanse and start watching the TV adaptation - could be no sleep for weeks.

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Nah, it's alright, thanks :thumb:. If I pick it up I'll likely get an ebook version, if available (doesn't have to be Amazon).

Arboreal likes this.
  13. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

reading a few at the moment, kinda jumping between them.

The Dresden files - amazing series, think im on book 8 proven guilty. Easy read, entertaining main character
    A boy and his dog a the world - brutal start to a book. not to far in, so far so good
    Obama - Promise land - this i have only read the opening page but quite interested by it
    And lastly an educational one, windows 10, inside out. 2000 pages of pure soul crushing stuff on scheduling and design and what not :)

14. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Funny, I'm reading the Unabomber's manifesto and it feels every bit as prophetic.

15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

My first foray into this thread...

Bit of a background on me: the advantage of a private education has meant I've read several of the classics, though there are many more I've yet to read! Favourite books (i.e. I could reread them at the drop of a hat) are:

Brave New World
    Catch 22
    Fahrenheit 451
    The Descent (and no, I haven't watched the movie as it seems to have completely missed the point)

Anyways, the reason I'm here is to do a little review of this (because @perplekks45 was interested and I assume comic books / graphic novels count!):

Batman: Three Jokers 10/10

[​IMG]

A damned good read with utterly fantastic artwork. I can't recommend it highly enough to any Batman fans, or people who collect this kind of thing in general. A darker and more world weary look into the classic rivalry of the Batman and Joker.

perplekks45 likes this.
  16. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Not sure you need a private education to have read "the classics".

trigger likes this.
  17. perplekks45

Thanks a lot and now it's ordered. :thumb:

You don't need one, but it certainly won't hurt. We've not read Fahrenheit 451, Catch 22, or The Descent in school. Maybe because I went to school in Germany, maybe because school education in general seems to get worse over time.

Pete J likes this.
  18. perplekks45

Oh, completely forgot: pre-ordered quite some time ago, arrived recently and read almost instantly. @Pete J if you haven't read this, you should.

[​IMG]

Pete J likes this.
  19. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Added to the Amazon wishlist!

20. perplekks45

I stopped fighting through Defoe and Kipling because I just couldn't find the motivation. Finished Leiber and the comic. Since then I've read multiple books and and continued reading several comic series including:

• Cormac McCarthy - No Country for old Men
    • Cormac McCarthy - Blood Meridian
    • H.G. Wells - The Island of Dr Moreau
    • Jeff Lemire - Gideon Falls (comic)
    • Kirkman - Outcast (comic)
    • Scott Snyder - Undiscovered Country (comic)
    • James Tynion IV - Something is killing the Children (comic)
    • Shirley Jackson - The Haunting of Hill House
    Today I started the new Sylvain Neuvel novel "A History of what comes next".