1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL Videos of awesome

Discussion in 'General' started by VipersGratitude, 1 May 2009.

1. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

3. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

That was epic, one of the best episodes yet

Arboreal likes this.
  4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I loved the way they took advantage of the safety car speed limit when everyone else hit the pits. World class nousing, if I ever saw it.

Arboreal likes this.
  5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah I actually clapped haha. Just goes to show, when the car is crap you need to use your noggin. Brilliant tactics there from Rich.

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Top work from Mr Brunning!

Arboreal likes this.
  7. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

8. David

Didn't they bring that out a couple of years ago?

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No, just a dumb USB keyboard to connect to your Pi. This is a Pi-in-a-keyboard. Added bonus: runs at 1.8GHz instead of 1.5GHz and with no throttling issues.

10. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

An impressive bit of work there, I only found out about it this morning when a Pimoroni email landed.

It could just be what I'm looking for to help with one of my new projects.

I'm researching alternative marine navigation systems for my Dad. As well as a commercial chart plotter on his last boat, he used to have some cheap nav software on an old Pentium M laptop with a USB GPS puck and downloaded raster (scanned) charts.
    There is an open source solution, OpenCPN which would run on an XP onwards laptop or PC, and also had a Linux variant. I was considering a NUC with a 15" touch screen for the job.
    It has also forked into OpenPlotter which is aimed at the Raspberry Pi and would run on other platforms too.

The Pi 400 would sort the keyboard and computing aspect, with a low power solution, add a mouse and the same monitor, and it'd be ready for the stage 2 USB data inputs from NMEA devices once the GPS and AIS bits were sorted.
    I guess the 40 pins could be extended to plug HATs into, as the pins are 90 degrees from the usual orientation. Maybe HATs can plug straight into the back like a ZX81 or Spectrum of old!

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You can indeed plug 'em straight in. I mean, they're upside down and facing away from you, but they work. Fine for a HAT with sensors on, say, but not much use for a hat with LEDs or a display or what have you. For those, a simple 40-pin ribbon cable - if you've an old IDE cable lying around, that'll work fine - lets you move 'em somewhere more useful.

Arboreal likes this.
  12. David

Ah, ok - I think this is what I was kinda half remembering, although I don't remember reading it on the Hackaday site. Prolly some copypasta thing.

Somebody hacked a Pi into an official RasPi keyboard.

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

In the product review on The Register, Eben Upton is quoted as saying:-

"A short female-to-male IDC expansion cable allows you to lay a HAT down flat, the right way up, behind the unit and would be available from resellers at launch."

He's also quoted as saying "Perhaps we should ship a bit of Blu Tack for old times' sake".

Arboreal likes this.
  14. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Shuffles off to rummage in old PC parts box, IDE cables you say?
    I remember those. Did I throw them all out?
    Didn't even click that it was going to be the same fitting as 'dear old' IDE/PATA
    Hang on, aren't IDE cables female to female??

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Yes they are. Stuff one of these in the far end to fix that - https://thepihut.com/products/40-pin-2x20-hat-dual-male-headers

Arboreal likes this.
  16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I love that we've come full-circle with this: from computers built into keyboards back in the 80s, to separate cases, to all the weird & wonderful variations we now have, and back to a product that puts a computer in a keyboard. Some might argue that this is the computer the Raspberry Pi Foundation should have launched 8 years ago, but *well* over 25 million units sold have thankfully proven those people wrong.

Still waiting for someone to mass-produce a 'wedge'-style PC case which can house a MiniITX board. Bonus points if they can somehow figure out how to have a slot for lower power short-length GPUs.

Arboreal likes this.
  17. Gareth Halfacree

Ta-da. Can't recommend buying one, mind, 'cos I've never seen owt but renders...

18. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Well clearly my DuckDuckGo-fu is not as good as my Google-fu used to be, because all I could find was a completed kickstarter from a few years ago that looks like it was a limited run...

That's nice, but... the keyboard... Yeah, no thanks, I need standard ANSI/ISO! :grin:.

20. David

IanW likes this.