1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education The weight loss thread

Discussion in 'General' started by mansueto, 25 Feb 2013.

1. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Been stagnant on weight loss recently but my mum just hugged me and had a massive shock when both of her arms met with a bit to spare so I think it's just the cycling adding muscle.

LennyRhys, Vault-Tec, yuusou and 2 others like this.
  2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Doge requires on of dem fancy scales, I picked one up for like £20 on the South American Forest store, didn't come with any poisonous frogs either.

3. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Send it back.

4. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Well done. It's those tangible milestones that kick the motivation up a gear I find.

I am 182cm and I hit 86kg a month or so back and that was a little wake up for me.Started being a bit more careful with what I eat and got down to 82kg.

I have a discount card from the NHS so go a new Garmin Venu for £245 (£330 normally) hoping it would force me to exercise.

Found out it links to myfitnesspal so I am using that too to monitor what I am eating for the first time in my life. It is weigh in day today, but last Tuesday I had got down to 80kg. Hoping to be under 80kg for the first time in almost a decade today. I have started running again and I am not hungry between meals now I eating correctly.

The goal is to to 75kg by Christmas time.

LennyRhys and MLyons like this.
  5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Muscle weighs more than fat. Always remember that. It's amazing how many people get on the scales and get really put off.

6. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

86kg isn't heavy for 182cm, but I guess it depends on your build. I'm the same height and of a slight build, and would be pretty happy if I could get my weight down to around 85kg. Sadly it means losing a lot of muscle that I worked hard to put on, but I've decided that any weight taxes the body, even "good" weight (especially as I'm approaching 40).

I weighed myself at 92kg yesterday morning which means I've lost 3lbs in five days of strict dieting, healthy eating, and exercise. I'm now fasting for up to 18 hours every day, eating only between midday and 6pm (or thereabouts), and already I'm noticing that I am sleeping better with my waist having gone down a few inches.

I have chocolate every day, and the first thing I have every morning is a big mug of coffee with a dollop of whipping cream. Who said dieting is hard?!

7. MightyBenihana

Well, I have just also started exercising again and been reading around how this influences weight at the beginning. My weigh in come out at 80.8kg, but I am not concerned as apparently this is normal at this point and people have told me I have noticably lost my little pounch. I am slight in build and have historically been quite thin. I don't put muscle on fast but I also wouldn't decribe myself a weedy either. When I was playing basketball at quite a high level I was around 72-75kg. I was 18-22 years old physically more muscular then. I am approaching 40 too.

I am not really fat but it is moving that way and it is easier to get it under control now rather than later. I don't want to become super muscley and prefer the athletic gymnast look to a body builder look personally. I need to lose some fat whilst I gain some muscle mass, so maybe in the end I will end up around 80kg and be happy enough.

I am not finding dieting hard either, but then I don't see it as dieting really. I am not eating anything different, just monitoring it. I am a little hungrier before bed but just go to sleep instead of snacking and I don't snack during the day as I am not hunry like that anymore. May be a psychological thing in having that perspective.

LennyRhys and MLyons like this.
  8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Yep I agree - it's entirely psychological / habit based, and getting on top of it early is a really good shout. I used to eat a cereal before bed every night, and sometimes a cup of tea with a biscuit as well. I was just pouring needless calories into my system purely out of habit and it was having an adverse affect on my health in general, not just my weight or waistline.

When I started my new eating plan I was hungry in the evenings, but now I'm finding it considerably easier - to the point that I'm keen to keep it going for as long as I feasibly can. When I was in my late teens I was actually quite unhealthy at about 70kg, which is why I started weight training. Now, like you, I'm aiming for a leaner and more athletic build. Having read a few books on the subject of how excess weight adversely affects mental health, I'm interested to see what happens to my mental health if I lose at least 15kg of body mass (healthily, of course).

9. MightyBenihana

We sound as if we have had similar paths in terms of weight. Good luck going forward.

LennyRhys likes this.
  10. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

[​IMG]

Slowly moving in the right direction.

goldstar0011 and LennyRhys like this.
  11. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I reached a milestone today: 14st (196lb / 89kg). On average I've lost a little over 2lbs every week, however it has fluctuated a lot because life got in the way sometimes. Still, my quality of life has improved vastly and I am pleased that the weight is off... hopefully for good.

My next goal is 13st (182lbs / 83kg) and I will probably budget six weeks for that. My very simple approach latterly has been to eat nothing except between 12pm and 6pm or thereabouts, and to get plenty of exercise where possible. I have a sneaking suspicion that my progress would be even better had I not bought that tub of Quality Street in Asda...

Weekly_Estimate and MLyons like this.
  12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ah, remember how pleased I was with reaching this 'ere milestone?
    Yeah... it's all gone a bit wrong. Stopped exercising 'cos I was having dizzy spells for some reason, then started snacking, then... well, continued snacking.

I'm now gone from 77.9kg, within spitting distance of my goal weight, to 93.9kg. Bumholes.

Back on the 1,400 calorie diet now. Let's see if I can't make it stick this time around...

LennyRhys likes this.
  13. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Personally feel like that's a little too harsh of a calorie deficit for long term consistency. And you've shown how quickly you can regain, so better to slowly reduce than quickly reduce then rebound?

I'd aim for no more than 500cal less than your daily tdee/baseline. Unless of course your baseline is 1900 then ignore me!

Personally finally my barbell was delivered today so can hopefully start structuring my training a little more and will start tightening up my diet since at the moment it's a complete free for all so I'm not really going anywhere.
    Haven't decided if I want to gain or lose yet.

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's what I was doing before - well, I started on 1,600 then dropped to 1,400 after hitting a plateau - and it was working great. I didn't feel overly hungry, had plenty of energy. Obviously I'll be bumping it up considerably once I'm at my goal weight - but not up to the point where I'm gaining again.

EDIT:
    Oh, no, I'm misremembering:
    I was doing 1,800 then dropped to 1,600 - not 1,600 then to 1,400. Might have a bottle of beer tonight to celebrate that little discovery!

But yeah, what I was doing was definitely working. Here's the three months I was dieting before I got slack and started shovelling lard in my face-hole again:

[​IMG]

Diamonds are actual weight measurements, the red line is a weighted moving average, and the dashed line was my target to reach my goal weight within... however many months I had it set to, I forget. The blue line underneath was 5BX-inspired exercise rungs.

15. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

What are you using to do this? Looks much more informative than the fitbit interface. I'm trying to find a way to do predictions as well.

16. Gareth Halfacree

The Hacker's Diet Online, the pinnacle of 1990s diet tech. It was originally a book by the founder of Autodesk - to this day the only diet book I know of that came with a floppy disk and opened with a history of the US telephone system. You can download the book for free from the site, too. It's worth a read.

LennyRhys, MLyons and Byron C like this.
  17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It's a much better way to track and measure than looking at the individual fluctuations every day. You can clearly see the day-to-day fluctuations in your actual readings, yet the overall trend is clearly going downwards.

My own graph on the other hand is.... not so good.

18. Gareth Halfacree

Absolutely - those lines between the moving average and the readings represent floaters and sinkers. Sinkers pull the line down; floaters pull it up. If you see mostly sinkers, you're losing weight; mostly floaters, you're gaining it. Absolutely fantastic visualisation.
    Yeah, mine now has a MASSIVE spike in it. Ne'er mind, I did it once, I can do it again!

19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Uugh, probably time I weighed myself and see what the lockdown damage is.

20. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I’m avoiding the scales mate, pretty sure I’ve broke all my records not in a good way!

adidan likes this.