1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 2020 thread - Season over

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 2 Feb 2020.

1. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

i mean rolling a D20 would give us more interest than watching 'best of the rest' F1

Seeing the best team rewarded is good in theory, but people want to watch wheel to wheel action for the win, not just 'Vallteri, its James' then a race for 3rd it gets rather boring to see the same winner each and every time,
    i mean even in the Schumacher era he had legitimate rivals ( most of the time ) who could challenge for wins

2. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

My recollection of that era was very different. It was Ferrari dominating with an even weaker no2 compared to Lewis-Bottas pairing. Maybe a second team would make it look like they were challenging but not really.
    Even the periods before and after were williams then mclaren then renault challenging Ferrari or Schumacher.
    F1 through the 00's up until Raikkonens win were the most bland boring era.
    Even then F1 reverted to Red Bull dominating which was only made interesring with the 1 season they had 6 different winners in 6 races and made to look competitive with princess stampy foot crashing with Webber meaning he didnt consistently score. Ultimately Red Bull were always going to win with the Vein hope that it would be Webber
    We had that a couple of seasons ago with Vettel challenging.
    Now Merc have stopped developing and Red Bull are catching up.

The Turbo era hasnt been any better than the 00's IMO

3. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

Grim that Lando got a 5 place penalty for setting a time under waved yellows

"While the stewards acknowledge that Car 4 was not attempting to set a quick lap time, due to the changing track conditions he nevertheless did so and thereby breached the referenced regulations"

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

He got the penalty because he didn't abandon the lap under double yellows. Not just "waved yellows".

5. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Phew, hell of a race.

Lots of twirling and sliding.

Hamilton was masterful throughout which explains why he can out another championship on his resume

6. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Genuinely great race. Loved it. As much as i did not want Hamilton to win today , I do admire what he has achieved.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Nice to see Stroll revert to type after fluking the pole yesterday - wrecking his tyres and ruining his own race. It was lovely to see Norris sail past him near the end.

In contrast, Perez beat his team mate and the guy who's taking his seat. Albon must be sweating bullets. Le Clerc made a bit of a mess of it at the end - sure he absolutely had to try and capitalise on Perez going wide, but he really guffed it.

TBF though, Perez LeClerc and Vettel all deserved their places today - all of them started outside the points.

Lewis was in a different league. Again.

8. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

The race today is another example of what I was on about. He drove away from the field like they were standing still, but destroyed his tyres in the process. Hamilton and Perez drove up behind him and ultimately drove faster races on one less pit stop. Then once he had fresh tyres he couldn't make good use of them and went backwards, at minimum he should have been 4th but he could have won that, instead he faded to 9th.

If Stroll were anyone else's son he would be on his way out of F1 by now, they way he flips into those brilliant drives from nowhere, then flips out of them just as suddenly, is hugely frustrating. If the ratio between kack and outstanding were better the pay driver jibes would disappear, but here we are again, 9th from pole position when his team mate finished 2nd and drove 48 laps on one set of tyres. Not good enough.

Vettel has a good day at the office, about damn time!

Is it ok to say Hamilton is better than Schumacher was yet?

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

To be fair, Rubens had to put up with much worse knee capping than Bottas.

There is doubt?

10. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I don't think he destroyed his tyres substantially more than anyone else in the first part the race. Obviously he had huge problems with the 2nd set amazingly early on (after just a lap or two), but everyone was on a knife edge regarding tyre performance and clearly something happened in those few laps that they never recovered from.

"If Stroll were anyone else's son he would be on his way out of F1 by now" - I would contend that if he were anyone else's son people would be talking more about unpolished potential rather than whether he deserves be in the sport at all.

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

They'd probably be saying that, like maldonado, he's a pay driver who occasionally got lucky.

12. fix-the-spade

I would counter that if his father hadn't bought Force India Lance would never have left Williams.

13. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

Yeah, waved yellows... as in, not single stationary yellow or single waved yellow. He backed off through the sector and then sped up again to prepare for the next lap. The only reason the time was competitive was because of the variable conditions.

14. javaman

What i learnt....

Stroll can lead a race but as soon as he has to "race" he quickly gets out of his depth. He overdrove on 2 occasions being overtaken and almost took the other driver out. He was never going to make the corner, with those tyres in those conditions and was nothing more than desperiation when a better driver would give up the position and not go sailing off into the sunset.

The difference with Stroll and other drivers is that other drivers develop in the lower catagories before making it to F1, paid drives or not. It has taken Stroll 3 season to get up to speed with F1 and even then, with all the money in the world to train him in old F1 car track days and buying f-ing team to move him up the grid, his race craft (tyre management, overtaking, dealing with pressure etc) is ultimately very lacking. He was out of his depth when it came to doing more than "right foot make car faster". Yes i will acknowledge he was on another level when it was wet.

Verstappen may never be world champion if he doesnt grow up and learn from his mistakes. Verstappen is very very quick, but his aggression will bite him and has done so again. Over a sustained season silly mistakes and impatient moves can add up and cost him as it has other drivers when it comes to titles.
    *NOTE: F1 doesnt work like that so in all likelyhood he will be world champion regardless.

15. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

So, he has the makings of a four time world champion?

The_Crapman and javaman like this.
  16. javaman

I reckon he could make it 5 :hehe:

In all seriousness i dont think his money will buy any more than a drive at a midfield team. None of the top teams have any reason to touch him so he likely not going to ever be in that position often.

Vettel was quick and had racecraft, he was just stupidly error prone, even more so under pressure

17. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

He also had a car/set of regs that was almost tailor made for his driving style.

Also... what in the name of everloving **** was bottas doing?

I know pretty much ever driver out there spun at least once, but holy ****balls bottas could not keep that merc in a straight line.

javaman likes this.
  18. javaman

He supposedly took damage from the spin avoiding Ocon but when does his car not have damage this season?

19. fix-the-spade

I think Bottas may have angered one of the Norse Gods somehow, debris from other people's cars seems magnetically attracted to him. Remember that year in Baku when he was leading with a couple laps to go and his front wheel/suspension just sort of exploded into a hundred pieces?

20. legoman

legoman breaker of things

The in car camera on his car after his second spin you can see in order to go straight he had to hold the wheel at an angle. Also he kept munching his front tyres.
    So along with wing damage he also picked up some steering/suspension damage and constantly bad tyres. I'm amazed he didn't just park it an give up.