1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics AMD 6xxx Series (RDNA 2)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Spraduke, 12 Sep 2020.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I didn't realise today was launch day until I tried to visit Scan.co.uk this afternoon.

I'm like, wtf is wrong with Scan's websi... oh, aw ffs - not this **** again.

2. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

well still think grabbing my 3070 for £469 was a good deal if the 6800 is coming in closer to £600!

At this point I think we need to stop describing either AMD or NVIDIA launces as "Paper launches" when there is clearly unprecedented demand for new cards.

I can't think of any previous hardware which just disappeared in the first 5 minutes of launch - obviously the 3080 launch has made consumers nervy about getting one which only exacerbates the speed at which stuff sells out.

Bloody_Pete and wyx087 like this.
  3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

You got lucky there... most 3070s that people are allowed to preorder now are well over £500 as well.

4. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

If it didn't sell out immediately, how many people would be crowing 'no-one wants one, it must be ****'

IanW and enbydee like this.
  6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yup £100 over RRP for a base level entry card. Wouldn't mind if their supposed high end ones were any better, but plastic seems to be the new alu when it comes to back plates. So there have been plenty of cases of this happening lately on the high end MSIs.

[​IMG]

7. rollo

rollo Modder

Not sure the demand for the 6800 not at £600 for what is a mid high end chip. I am hoping it’s some day 1 price gouging but at a £140 above the 3070 it’s an expensive proposition for 15% faster card.

6800xt is £80 more and 25% quicker on average across the benches I have saw.

save your money and get the better card

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

That can happen to metal too, infact looking round the screw it looks like metal.

9. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Yeah based on performance in general it feels like £499 would have been a better starting point for the 6800 non XT. The performance delta to the full XT is quite large yet the price is, at least from a marketing perspective, not that big a jump.

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

The 6800XT looks like a great card for 1080p/1440p, seems a bit mixed at 4k vs RTX3080 but as that is so close to a 3090 it bodes well for the 6900XT.

Unsure if the poor high res is a hardware limitation due to bandwidth or just early drivers, the SAM performance bump is interesting, particularly as it has been suggested that Nvidia can implement it and support older hard ware, perhaps AMD will open it up too if Nvidias implementation works.

11. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

LTT's video summary is basically how I think. Not good value for the price because Nvidia's AI aspects and video encoding are added features which push the needle agaisnt it. DLSS alone is enough of a reason to choose green over red!

13. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

You're now dead to me :hehe:

Seriously though, I think we've been rather stung with the pricing. $650 dollars should be about £600-£610 for an XT, but then again 3080s are supposed to start at £650 but good luck trying to find one for less than £720. £40 for dlss, miles better ray tracing and with the added bonus of BAR coming soon to give them a performance bump, it's hard to argue against buying a 3080 if you're gaming at 4k, 1440p a little less so. It's great if you're playing at 1080 or games that aren't very demanding, but if that's the case why on earth you spending that amount of money on a GPU? go get a second hand 1080TI, 2070 or something.

At the same time, DLSS isn't going to feature on every game, AMD's version will be coming and won't be dependant on dev implementation (goes in the 'future features' column along with nvidia's BAR) and with the consoles using the same tech, it might be the better future thinking purchase. I don't think you're really going to lose out much going either way though and if you're really desperate for a new card, it just depends what you can get your hands on.

14. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

I think Linus was a bit harsh, most of the kids watching his videos aren't going to notice the difference of the features he was giving Nvidia credit for imo. That's not to say I wouldn't go for the 3080 if I had the budget and shops had the stock, but I think it's closer than the let on. The rumoured price bump the 6800 received prior to launch puts it in a slightly awkward spot perhaps as the next step is so close. Will be interesting to see where the 6700 slots in.

15. Vault-Tec

I don't agree. Most of the kids watching him are going to want star glittered Youtube and Twitch careers (note my sarcasm, but it's truth) and will want good streaming capabilities. Which you don't get on AMD without spending more money on a device.

I can see why these AMD cards cost what they do. TSMC, 16gb VRAM etc. However, feature wise they are sorely lacking. AMD's brushing off of DLSS yesterday (stating that it's not full render res and thus worse) was a stupid move. I can understand why they would not want to promise something they can not give, but yeah going the opposite and stupidly slagging it off won't help them, given it's (IMO) the best feature on RTX.

So it all seems a bit hit and miss to me. At 4k they are not as impressive as the 30 series, and they lack all of the features. Which to me wouldn't matter so much (apart from DLSS of course) but to kids gaming and streaming? where's RTX voice? where's NVenc? and so on.

16. Vault-Tec

It's for sure 100% of your finest plastic. Three cases have been reported on OCUK. Seems if you pick it up there it just snaps off.

17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I think you're assuming a lot from AMD. Their version of DLSS will lag far far behind Nvidia's. Nvidia is the world leader in AI tech and has been for most of the last decade. AMD doesn't even do anything AI related. AMD's version will be worse than the previous Nvidia version. On top of that AMD's GPU's don't have any AI cores, so it will impact performance when they do impliment it, it won't be an added bonus like Nvidia's one.

18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

These features aren't really ones most will benefit from, serious streamers, particularly gamers wouldn't waste main machine power for encoding, that's always going to be seperate box, DLSS is an upscaler, wouldn't you rather have the power to perform native, though I admit it is interesting for scenarios where then hardware can't keep up

As for the AI stuff, will it come in useful on a gaming card, for people playing games, probably not, great if your hobby is machine learning and Nvidia don't lock you out on the gaming card.

19. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

But AMD doesn't offer that either. It offers more or less the same performance but with no additional features. And DLSS is a major thing, its 3x the performance in some situations for basically the same output quality!!!

20. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Of course not, I was just adding a caveat that there is something coming just as Nvidia has BAR, but that will get bought out by honda then abandoned after spending a ton on r&d, only to be picked up by vulkan and blow everyone away (for 6months till it gets copied). But enough of F1 allusions. No one outside of amd knows exactly what it is, how it will work both from a software and hardware aspect, but no it's not going to be as good as dlss, but will (allegedly) work on every game, so holds that advantage over it. If you don't upgrade often then a 6800xt might make a better bet for the long term as more games are developed aimed more towards PS 5 and Xbox SX. But as of now 3080 is probably still the best option if you want all the bells, whistles and horns.