1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Announcement We've moved servers :)

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by MLyons, 18 Nov 2020.

1. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

We've finally moved the site from the 8+ year old servers to the new speedy boi EPYC box. This gives us much more flexibility to add cores (all of them) and memory (all of it) when needed. We can also easily expand the space on the server. The forums were moved over a few weeks ago and the site move is after around 3-4 months of me working on it. I normally don't go in depth but as it's such as big change I thought I would for once.

It gives us an up to date OS and programs and has allowed us to make tuning tweaks that we were unable to do on the old site as we had no "real" development area to test before deploying, having 256 threads now lets us easily do this :). The swap happening with 5 minutes of down time was a highlight for myself personally :p:.

You'll notice the site is quicker due to a few different reasons, Updated caching system, updated software stack, more cores and RAM, quicker cores and RAM and NVMe storage in raid in case we do need to hit disk. This updated OS opened up software optimisations such as H2 in nginx which simplified means images will download quicker on the site if there are a few on the page. We've also moved the database server from being on a separate machine to being on a local machine communicating via a unix socket to squeeze even more performance.

I've tested as much as possible but as @David pointed out there are still a few kinks which I either couldn't have seen without the site being connected to the forums or just didn't catch. We've done some benchmarking and already seen the response time for requests improve by 20% up to even 900% :jawdrop: in some specific use cases.

This is only the start of tech upgrades we'll be doing to bit-tech over the coming 6-12 months. We've still got a fully automated benchmark suite, A new CMS allowing users to "interact" with benchmarks and images and a secret project we've got in the works.

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

A big bucket of Scooby Snacks for Doge!

IanW, Dr. Coin and MLyons like this.
  3. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

You had to go and tempt fate didn't you doge. Pages partially load for me then stall and take ages.

4. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Due to us moving a different server over to the EPYC boi. We've got a few left

5. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

So curious what does the deployment pipeline look like for something like bit tech?

6. MLyons

hopes and dreams atm. Would people be interested in a behind the scenes?

deathtaker27, IanW, yuusou and 2 others like this.
  7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I would be.

8. MLyons

Here's a quick diagram I've just whipped up in paint but I'll see what I can do about a proper one tomorrow.
    upload_2020-11-18_22-9-49.png

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Demz too teknikalz for me. :happy:

MLyons likes this.
  10. David

You migrating Hexus too, @MLyons? The forums are showing 404 Not Found.

11. MLyons

that'll be HEXUS to you. the forums yes, site will be sometime soon as well

12. David

IFTFY :p

MLyons likes this.
  13. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

I'd be curious too! I was expecting something more like this:[​IMG]

Also, getting 404's from serve.themediateam.net that are causing slowdowns on loading everything. Presumably this is the ads that are now missing?

14. MLyons

Yep, this is the ad server. So it works but DNS seems to be taking a while to update for people. When I use my VPN it fixes it instantly.

It's more test>ssh to server>git pull>restart workers

15. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Flushing dns locally seems to have sorted the 404 and associated load time, still getting script errors on the homepage though: https://i.imgur.com/jVPeDXU.png

16. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

So, how many megger-bites has Bit swelled to?

17. adidan

@MLyons has this server move got anything to do with why I see

when I try to read my conversations in my inbox?

18. MLyons

You saw nothing

adidan likes this.
  19. adidan

[​IMG]

20. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

[​IMG]