1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics AMD 6xxx Series (RDNA 2)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Spraduke, 12 Sep 2020.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Upscaling doesn’t need AI. Death Stranding have an upscaling + sharpening setting that AMD and nvidia can both enable.
    Sure, AI will help by recognising patterns and apply matching sharper patterns.

The encoder is the reason I’d choose nvidia. Another use-case is wireless VR gaming with Quest. It need as sharp output as possible. From benchmark videos, the AMD cards seems to be blurry.

Lastly, the thing to look out is ray tracing. Although nvidia RTX titles all seem rather slow on AMD cards. Future console ray tracing will be optimised for RDNA2. I wonder if we revisit in 12 months time with all the new titles, could AMD cards overtake in ray traced performance?

2. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I was all about a Nvidia 3070 then I saw the AMD 6800 and made cooing noises. Then I saw the price. Bruh. Not that it matters. They wont be buy-able until summer with these stock levels. Kinda funny really. Console players are suffering the same ****. Big wow, no chow.

3. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

I bought a MSI RX 5600 Gaming X super gaming edition ti darn near 6 lb monster cause it was on sale for like under 200$ MSRP (aka normal price), and I am tired of running my 2015 era GPU, while also waiting on the next big thing to drop prices down to non retarded.

Seriously I thought 500 something USD was insane for my wife's 980ti and were up what 4x that for a 2 gen upgrade that supports features... hardly anyone supports

really DLSS is a thing, wow your paying so much more for a card to not run at 4k but it looks pretty close to not running 4k while not running 4k?

How about not running at 4k since ya cant do it most of the time? Just a thought...

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

:grin: Pretty much sums up my thoughts

Sure if the games that work really well with DLSS are games you want to play at a lower resolution upscaled to match your display then more power to you, I have spent 700 quid on a second/third GPU for SLI/CF with similar level of compatibility and support acceptance from Nvidia/AMD but you really want the GPU features to work on everything you throw at it when you want it, not 6 months down the line when the driver comes out.

I have been playing death stranding this is supported by DLSS, and the work it does looks amazing from screen shots but I'm doing 4k60 on a 1080Ti so for me at least it is a bit redundant and it's not a game that needs more fps.

I would be looking first at what gets me the best framerates @4k for the dough natively, its all about the grunt rather than faking it for me, at the moment that seems to be 3080 but I can wait and see what the 6900XT brings, expecting similar bump from 6800-6800XT it should level the 4k playing field to the 3090 for less dough, looks like a buy.

AMD hardware is already doing something akin to DLSS on consoles, so its not a stretch to imagine AMD implementing some form of directML based upscale on desktop but the core features that it does well already are good enough for the price, the rest is frippery, for me at least, I am sure there are those on the fringe that will have a different opinion and that's fine each to there own.

I am interested in this SAM/re-BAR thing, as it is providing an appreciable bump without special game support, AMD are suggesting they are only supporting 5 series boards and chips, not a platform of interest, I will likely upgrade to TRX40 if anything and would like to know if such a feature is useable there, should imagine it is as it is a PCI express spec.

Last edited: 20 Nov 2020
  5. rollo

rollo Modder

6800 and 3070 both dont really deliver 4k 60fps without compromise, Minimum for that is a 6800xt or a 3080. And realistically its a 3090 or 6900xt.

Which As I said before puts the 6800 in a terible spot for £ for performance. Needs a much bigger lead than it has to demand the current price premium.

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

You need to be realistic about the price. Or rather, maybe it is the price that is realistic?

Nvidia have caused nothing but crap by promising cards at prices they can't be delivered at. They expect a 60% margin on their "kits" and then expect the AIBPs to make sod all. That is why there was the clock gate issue, and quality issues and etc. Because Nvidia set a RRP no one can match and still turn a profit. At least with these Radeons those are the "FE" prices, and they could even get cheaper once the board partners make them. Unlike the Nvidia cards. Find me one at retail price, then we will talk. Because right now 3070s are all £100 over their RRP and 3080 at least £150.

It wouldn't have even been as bad if Nvidia would have added those costs, then let AIBPs war with each other. Instead we get a fictional price that no one can meet, and therefore the cards all "seem" too expensive. Had they RRPed them higher I am sure many would have been fine with it.

I would watch that. Apparently a few AIBPs who he says will remain nameless have said that if they made cards to RRP they would go bankrupt. Normally I would have no idea who he is talking about, but knowing his history and where he has been I can 100% say that MSI is one. Then less than a month later people start having back plate issues with the Trio cards (which aren't even cheap) and the plastic is snapping. Yup, plastic back plate that serves no function at all apart from covering a PCB. Because they are skimping trying to make a decent profit after Nvidia gave out false prices to make their products look better.

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Ironically it is actually better if it breaks rather than bends, if someone is dumb enough to drop a £500+ piece of tech they are also dumb enough to not bend it back to the original shape, so a bent metal backplate would risk shorting something, plus it makes it easier to filter out warranty fraud from those Trump brains.

8. rollo

rollo Modder

Eventually there will be cards at RRP, the gap between them at those price points is pretty massive.

today in price gouge land maybe not

give it till feb or March next year and you will find a 3070 at RRP even if it’s just the FE version

if the 6800 price sticks at £599 that’s a huge price gap that nvidia will surely fill sometime

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

It was supposed to be more like £520... but with the imminent cancellation of the reference design AIBs will have freedom to gouge however much they want, so sticking to £599 is very optimistic.

10. Vault-Tec

It can be seen two ways I suppose. However, when the non reference cards come there is competition from other partners. The AMD cards look OK I suppose. Good quality and parts, but not what I could consider good looking. At least this way AMD are leaving it up to their partners. Unlike Nvidia, who basically show a $100 cooler and then all of the third party cards look like dog droppings.

Rollo - "just the FE version" is the best card to have. It's whether Nvidia will continue to make them at a supposed loss that remains the question. Obviously they are cutting out the middle man by doing so, but whether they will be available until true EOL or whether they step aside remains to be seen.

I've seen RRP 3070s and they look like a pack in toy from Macdonalds.

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The way I see it:
    If AIBs do not have to compete against a reference design the direction of the price will be up.

12. Vault-Tec

In most cases with AMD you get a better card for less going elsewhere. They are using a vapour chamber and a thick alu back plate.

I think once the world comes back to anything even close to reality they will be cheaper.

13. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

6900xt. Released, not worth the extra over a 6800xt, sold out.

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If you make 5 of them 10 of which went to reviewers it ain't hard to be sold out:p

15. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

There was never any chance of them not selling out. People will still be waiting for preorders when the refresh cards come next autumn. :hehe: