1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

Cheeky little pay rise just in time for Christmas. Better still, Christmas shopping was done weeks ago so its not been automatically earmarked for anything by the wife. So far.

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

"So far." - Famous last words.

IanW and Midlight like this.
  3. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

indeed ... she just isn't telling you what she is spending it on.

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

my sig sauer finally arrived, after banging off a few mags down the garden i can see why TM are considered the best.

Byron C likes this.
  5. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

£118 from the Taxman™

Arboreal, Byron C and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  6. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Unexpected and quite substantial payrise (£500/month take-home), backdated to 1st July.

Doesn't change much in the real world but it all helps this side of Christmas, plus my job remains the same. Yay!

7. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

@Shirty Oof, that is tasty! Nice one :)

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Back dated is awesome!

My pay rise in June was... forward-dated until the end of this month.

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Nice one @Shirty

I won't find out about a pay rise or possible promotion until early January... I do get my H2 bonus in January though and it should be more than H1...

10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

What's a bonus?

goldstar0011 likes this.
  11. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

It's a carefully calculated form of remuneration that triggers a positive response in an employee for having their labour undervalued throughout the year. It's still undervalued on an annual basis of course, but the dopamine response of that one pay packet makes the employee think they're doing ok. Think of it like a cheat day if you're dieting, that one day of excess provides psychological support to endure the other six days, but you're still in a calorie deficit for the week.

Pete J, flibblesan, B1GBUD and 6 others like this.
  12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

That's... a pretty insulting way to put it.

I like my job; I don't find every aspect of it rewarding, but it's challenging and I've learned an incredible amount since I started. I work with some of the most incredibly talented and knowledgeable people I've ever met, people who inspire me to do better simply by doing what they do. The work that I do here is recognised and is valued, and the people who do the work can and do have a say in the direction of the company and its initiatives/products. For once I feel like I work for a company where management - from the CEO down to my manager - actually gives a **** about its employees. And yeah, I am paid pretty well and the bonus incentive is generous.

I worked for a large bank for the best part of 14 years, in various roles from call centres to a SQL Server Developer. It's taken three years for me to realise just how much psychological damage I did to myself while working there. In work I was cynical, bitter, self-entitled, self-important, you name it... I can blame corporate culture, I can blame bad management, I can blame all sorts of things, and for a long time I did exactly that: blamed everything else except me. The truth is that I was undervaluing me. I didn't live up to my own standards; I stuck with the easy path instead of challenging myself to do better; I didn't value my work or my contribution.

I've landed an awesome job that's very well paid at a company that I'm really happy to work for. Somewhere I feel valued and feel rewarded, and not just because I'm paid well and I get a bonus. Sure the money is nice, but 'being valued' means a whole hell of a lot more than how much money you earn or whether you get a bonus.

MadGinga and Arboreal like this.
  13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I dunno.. I think it's kind of personal.

I don't enjoy working in IT anymore. I'm passable at it, and I've no drive to be better at it in a way that impacts my job. I could spend time working out what I want to do that more aligns with my interests, but I don't want to. Last time I did that, I ended up in IT and ruining one of my hobbies.

I'm under no illusion that I am a lightbulb to my employer, an expensive lightbulb (And, in a way, make myself easily replaceable, because **** people who leave no or shitty documentation). To me any bonuses or benefits feel like my employer trying to trick me into liking them more and working longer or harder than is strictly necessary - If only because I know it is utterly trivial for them to do that kind of thing, and I know employers love employees that break themselves for the higher up's benefit.

I'd lean more towards Endybee's way of phrasing it, I think.

14. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

An extra £125 a week doesn't change much? Really? You realise an extra £500 a month would take most familys from the breadline to feeling vaguely comfortable, right?

Edit: Where are my manners. Congratulations. I am happy for you. Honestly, I am. People work hard and deserve more. But don't make out like its nothing. It isn't. By all means enjoy it, sp*nk it. But don't dismiss it.

Last edited: 21 Nov 2020
    spolsh and perplekks45 like this.
  15. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

You're one of a rare breed, mate. Most of us are either content (not happy) with their jobs or are unhappy. I'm happy for you and I wish everybody found a job and company/boss like that, but truth be told most people usually don't.

I like "good drones" like you in IT. Used to be just the same, left IT behind, still not happy with my job, but definitely feel there's more worth in what I do now. To my company, that is. And that's reflected in pay, standing, responsibility, expectations, pressure, and lack of understanding of what I actually do.

I have to agree with this. I'm sure many of us are in decently paid positions, some are raking in dosh like crazy, and some just survive. But if 500 quid ain't much to anyone here, I'd be more than happy to take it off them. I'm not one of the survivors, I'm lucky-ish with my salary and work, but around 300 after tax per month is a lot of money. Hell, I might be able to buy an Ampere card after a year of saving!

Fizzban likes this.
  16. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I think @Shirty meant that the pay rise may not change much in the greater big wide world but it is 'substantial' for him.

That's how I read it anyway.

bawjaws likes this.
  17. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

You guys are too used to being B to C class (look it up). You think you are the normal level but you aint. You think you are grass roots, and then you wonder why people riot. If you earn more then 25k a year you can **** off as normal. You ain't.

18. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Probably take that long to find one in stock

IanW and perplekks45 like this.
  19. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I've been spending my day alternating between finishing the building works in the kitchen, and when Laura isn't looking, doing some hobby welding. Not done any in ages and it's great fun.

Unfortunately I do it so infrequently that I'm starting from scratch each time but it's fun nevertheless :hehe:

Arboreal likes this.
  20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder