1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Big Chungus.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 24 Oct 2020.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

So I recently upgraded my PC at my mother's house, and there was loads left over. That wasn't the plan, so I spoke to @Arboreal about building a gaming server to host stuff like Steam SDK for L4D and so on. We decided to use the parts for it, as they really aren't much good for anything else.

The rig will go to a guy called Gary, if I have my names the correct way around. Gary, like most of the guys doesn't like RGB, hates flashy PCs and cases and etc. So after thinking about it I decided to troll him and build something he totally hates.

These are the parts I have to hand. I have a Quadro GPU (based on the 8000 series IIRC) that will be going in also.

[​IMG]

The thing is how do you take the world's ugliest most stupidly overbuilt motherboard and possibly find a case for it? well I was digging on OCUK's MM yesterday and this popped up for £45 inc. It's brand new, but needs a couple of rivets redoing.

[​IMG]

It's absolutely PERFECT. The idea is to shove this match made in hell together with as many LEDs as possible.

@Arboreal has the memory for the rig at his.

boiled_elephant and Arboreal like this.
  2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Gary, our LAN host, (when going to other people's houses is a thing), is going to be SO delighted to have such a large proportion of the world's unicorn vomit in his study! :D
    He runs at least 3 guest LAN PCs, and I'm sure a couple of them are still in old school, (albeit modded), beige ATX cases. Such is his regard for aesthetics!
    I have been told off on more than one occasion for spending money on 'show rather than go' for my PC.

For my part, things start to unravel quite quickly, being a a person of the SFF persuasion.... It's an E-ATX motherboard for a start and I guess those fans are 120mm. There's four of the feckers at the front that means it's 'does not compute' BIG!

Maybe if I don't post the RAM to @Vault-Tec, the PC will never be finished ;) Shhh, don't tell him, it may spoil his fun o_O

Last edited: 24 Oct 2020
    Vault-Tec likes this.
  3. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

The best thing about his picture of the chungus is ... the RGB remote has a nice OFF button.

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

My name's Gary and I like RGB so f..k u lol

5. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

La La La ... I can't hear you

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I have custom made controls to turn it off though

7. Vault-Tec

Which I will be removing !

8. Vault-Tec

Found these earlier. They are going to look fantastic stuck on white RAM lol.

[​IMG]

9. Arboreal

Those are from exactly the same type of RAM I have, but with white PCBs as mentioned. Raspberry ripple RAM anyone?

boiled_elephant and Vault-Tec like this.
  10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Not evil enough. Set it so it turns the RGB off... for around ten seconds before defaulting to the brightest, flashingest setting possible. Give him just long enough to think it worked.

11. Vault-Tec

I could be a right **** and basically take it apart and change the way the buttons work muhahahahaha. Or just set it to the most obnoxious and accidentally lose the remotes in the sea...... In a carrier bag..... With some rocks in it........

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Do you have any other similar form remotes? I'm not sure if its standard, so another one may do crazy things...

13. Vault-Tec

The RGB fans I have in the pile there work on a remote I have. The case comes with one too, for the fans on them. The remotes don't seem to be interchangeable which is odd. Maybe one remote will control both? I would need luck for that.

14. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

:dremel::dremel::dremel:

15. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Think it'd have to be an angle grinder, not a dremel, to have any impact on the Chungus' armour.

16. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Are those real milky bar chocolate key caps V-T ?

17. Vault-Tec

Nah, they're French Fries. Mionix IIRC.

18. Vault-Tec

Big Chungus is here...

[​IMG]

Big Chungus is big. Very big. *Morgan Freeman* "And it was that moment" yeah yeah.

[​IMG]

It comes in two parts, the base is separate.

[​IMG]

A size 10 for scale.

[​IMG]

Obviously for £45 the case did have two issues. Firstly there is no headphone wires for the front (who gives a toss) and secondly it wasn't built properly and they had not riveted in one side of the PSU "holder" thing. It was bent and flopping around. There were already some of these scratches, but I did add some myself. TBH? I may not even bother touching them up as you will never see them once the base is on and the PSU is in. If you do? I will touch them up with some satin black. I ended up using my 90' drill attachment so I could get in, and instead of doing two small rivets I did one big bugger off one.

[​IMG]

Trust me when I say, that's never moving anywhere again lol.

19. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

This is so grotesque, I love it.

20. Arboreal

:jawdrop:
    I suppose BIG in the name should have been a giveaway...