1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Big Chungus.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 24 Oct 2020.

1. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

That is a lot of case for the money.
    I'm not sure if that is a good thing though. It is not a pretty thing and there is A LOT of it.
    But whatever floats your goat.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  2. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Please tell me your going to mount a pi in that?

Even if just to post it to the sff reddit threads and watch them loose all grip on reality....

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

From my convo in Discord with a chum earlier...

I quite like it tbh
    [14:00]
    its so ugly I like it, it's kinda one of those

It's also a complete tosser to build in. It's taken me two hours to get the AIO in, and it is not where I wanted it. I think a blind man designed this case. All that room, and you can't fit a rad in the roof with a fan on it.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  4. Vault-Tec

Somehow I don't think this should ever overheat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Vault-Tec

Doh what a friggin dumbass. I fitted the cooler in the wrong way around. Have fixed that. Started cloth taping as I have no cable ties, realised it actually looks quite good. Then I thought "Hey I can unscrew that bracket like thing and hide the joins behind there" then I realised it was riveted in.

[​IMG]

Seriously I have never, ever seen such weird design decisions in my entire life. There is the weirdest thing ever going on with the front alu behind the glass. I will get a pic of it when I take the glass off next. I'm starting to think this was a prototype tbh. I won't go into why I know that, but let's just say the guy I got it off would have access to such things.... Oh, and the PSU cables won't reach as I suspected. Not bothered though, these cost me £11. 24 and 8 EPS. I already have molex in red etc and a 6 pin PCIE.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Vault-Tec

It looks smaller to me in pictures. That said I have never, ever had a case that can take 480mm of fans in the front. That should have been a dead giveaway lmao. It doesn't matter. I am getting rid of the chairs in my kitchen as I have never used them in 9 years. So it can just go on the floor next to my existing rig. All I do is put crap on those chairs any way that I should put away but am too lazy.

7. Cenedd

Cenedd What's a Dremel?

Overheat? I'd be more worried about it taking off!

8. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

So is it not going to the Gary guy now ? Does this mean, does this mean, does this mean .,. you like, like Big Chungus now ? Has the Chungus grown on you ?

9. Vault-Tec

Holy Mary, mother of god.

[​IMG]

One thing is for sure. I won't be needing a Christmas tree this year.

What I am happy about the most is how both of the remotes work with both of the RGB controllers. Meaning I have two, and only need to use one (so one spare).

It's actually really quiet. The noise you hear is the traffic, as the window is bent and doesn't seal when you close it.

10. Vault-Tec

Nah. It was just so revolting he politely refused lmao. I wouldn't force it on him, poor sod. To be fair Gary is our Lan guy, and has basically donated a huge room in his house to having lots of full set ups in it for us to use, so one more (especially this one) was too much.

11. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

:lol::lol::lol:

12. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Bruh with the lights on and all in one solid colour it actually looks...good?

I still get a headache trying to think about the airflow in it though, it's such an alien abortion of a concept. I don't understand.

13. Vault-Tec

It does look rather grand yes. I mean, it's big if anything.

You can't put a rad in the roof. Well, not with fans on. They hit the board. You can't even push pull an AIO because again it hits the motherboard. Hence why it took me two hours to work out how to fit the cooler. It's not how I wanted it.

You can't fit a rad in the floor either, as again it would obstruct the board. I did think maybe you could fit the rad under, but the PSU goes there. So that just leaves the front for a rad. To screw in the floor fans you need to remove the front, then the bottom fan. So there has been much head scratching. You also can't fit any 3.5" drives *at all* in such a huge case. It's literally bordering on hilarious.

But yeah, once that bugger lights up (it has two hidden strips underneath that scared me, I didn't realise they were there) it is pretty damn intimidating. I would say it has made me happy. Instead of throwing all of the stuff I had in the bin I can actually use it all in there. To the point of being totally ridiculous.

It does have one absolutely superb feature though. The rear exhaust fan is so close to the board that it totally covers up the GODLIKE logo.

I will definitely make a back plate for the GPU tomorrow. That green is pretty damn honking tbh. I will have to use a cut out though, or it won't go in (will hit the IO cover). Thankfully I have tons of 3mm matt black left though. So again, £0.

14. Vault-Tec

Update. I am currently clearing out piles of old wires and crap pulled from the PCs I have been stripping this year. So I am doing a big clear out, whilst doing this too. Earlier I fitted the PSU and wired up the USB 3 & C and the board headers.

I also fitted in the PSU.

[​IMG]

Some more wiring etc.

[​IMG]

The GPU got a custom back plate also. I need to do something about the edges of the card, as that green is honking. I also need to finish the edges but the most important thing of all is it fits really well.

[​IMG]

15. Vault-Tec

Missed one.

[​IMG]

Spent three hours doing this.

[​IMG]

Only to find I can't spell my own user name.

[​IMG]

Am going to leave it, to remind myself not to be a spaz.

Arboreal likes this.
  16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

OK right, so the case is actually called 'Big Chungus', that isn't just a nickname it's being given!

Well... it.... lives up to its name...! :grin:

How did you etch that side panel? It looks neat af... Neat as in, it does not look like it was done by hand!

17. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Nice work there V-T.
    There's not many mad errr, patient enough to do battle with such a ridiculous and awkward case.

Big Chungus is apparently another name for reverse tardis... For an SFF person it's a double nightmare, as it's huge AND doesn't have that much room to suff it with kit

Got your own name wrong? :lol: Silly budgerigar!
    While you're at it that's not my gaming user name.... :p:

I will get the RAM out tomorrow, had a busy week this week...actually had to do some proper work.

It'll be all ready for the Raspberry Ripple conversion! I've always wanted a motherboard with RAM slots either side of the CPU, but they're not readily available in smaller formats.
    Tried to but an X99 mATX board but the seller was a scammer and Gumtree warned me off

All in all, a brilliant an inspired way to use up kit that was sitting idle and create monster gaming server that can allow us to play private games without visitors who spoil our games by being good at them, b*stards!

Last edited: 26 Nov 2020
  18. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Look at this mad Chinese X99 mATX board!
    Lots too like:
    * Ram slots either side of the CPU
    * Unusual white board
    * 2 M.2 storage slots + WiFi slot
    * 'Tasteful' lit up audio isolation path

If it wasn't £83, I'd take a flyer on it and put a i7 6 core in it for giggles.

[​IMG]

Too much of a gamble when I have no need for it.

19. Vault-Tec

Big Chungus is a meme apparently. There was an episode of Bugs Bunny where he got all fat. Eating, IIRC. Someone, for some reason, called him Big Chungus. It spread around the net like wildfire.

[​IMG]

Then people started false rumours that it had become a game on PS4 and started posting fake boxes etc. I guess that is why Kolink decided to do it.

The "etching" is just very cheap bathroom window vinyl. Basically you stick it over a clear window and it stops people being able to see in. I can't even remember why I bought it now, but given this thing has so much glass on it I figured I would give it a whirl. Trust me to make it take two hours to pick with a scalpel.

It's a complete git too. Once the plotter has cut it it's invisble, as they put it over white backing. So I had to sit there with a LED flashlight and shine it down at just the right angle to see what I was doing.

@Arboreal look next to the names. It should make sense. Left side sar !

Arboreal and Byron C like this.
  20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Oh yeah, I know the chungus reference, that's why I initially assumed it was a nickname and not the actual product name! :lol:

Riiiiight, gotcha! :thumb:

Honestly I thought it was etched, the effect looks damn good.