1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

The installs have already begun, as a new housing estate on the edge of town already has FTTP, and the exchange carpark is currently home to many economy size cable reels.
    Due to having an "Exchange Only" line during the DSL years, my street cabinet is currently around 1km away at the edge of that car park.
    This means I can only get FTTC speeds of around 37Mb down / 7Mb up from Sky for around £43/month inc line rental.
    Switching to Sky's "Ultrafast" FTTP package seems like it'll give me 3-5x the speed for around £8 less! (£35/mo for 18 months, then £45)

ElThomsono and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

We've just had CityFibre install, service via Vodafone, £45 a month for 500Mbps symmetrical connection.

It's via overhead line which I wasn't expecting, but overall it's less intrusive than the BT line or Virgin which are both tacked along the front of the house, at least CityFibre took it along the back wall where no-one sees it.

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Not especially awesome, but received a cheque for £50 from HSBC as "the service you received by our collections and/or recoveries team did not meet the standards we would expect". That's a mild way of putting that you lost £2000 I paid back when you switch debt collector and then slapped a ccj on my credit file for 6 years, as I refused to pay another penny until the balance was corrected and you sent the summons to the wrong address. Will have to have a look and see if I should accept this random gesture or if it's a pair of balls to squeeze.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'd say you could milk 'em for a lot more than that. A few years back someone signed up for a Barclaycard and put my mobile number down - just my mobile number, none of the other details were mine. Still don't know if it was fraud or a simple typo, but I started getting text messages. "Your new Barclaycard will be with you in seven days." "Congratulations on your new Barclaycard," that sort of thing.

Then "Your Barclaycard statement is now available."

Then "Your Barclaycard statement is now overdue."

Then "If you do not make payment on your Barclaycard statement, we reserve the right to forward your details to our appointed collections agency."

Right at the start I'd rung Customer Services and explained the problem, and been told "no problem sir, we'll remove your number from our records." I reckon I did this about eight times, all told, and each time was assured the number had been deleted from the system.

Then I got a call from a debt collection agency.

Who, to be fair, were extremely understanding, and as soon as I explained that it weren't my account made a note that meant I didn't get a single additional call from 'em. No complaints there.

I was peed off at Barclaycard, though. Didn't get anywhere through the usual channels, so I started searching the web for @barclaycard.co.uk email addresses and telling them my tale of woe. Eventually found someone - on an Aston Villa forum, of all places - high up enough to do something, which included a guarantee that my mobile number had really been removed from the system and a £500 goodwill gesture.

If I got £500 for that, £50 for what you've been though seems off by an order of magnitude.

IanW likes this.
  5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I'd already complained and despite sending a thick dossier of bank statements and Bacs reports showing where the money was paid to, was told I needed to take it up with the (HSBC owned) collector I'd paid it to, which no longer existed. I knew that wasn't the case so told them to go f' themselves and take me to court. I thought I could get it wiped as they'd opened another account in my name to move the debt onto before "selling" it on again and seeing as how I'd never signed a CCA for the account they were chasing me for they'd be buggered. Only they then sent the summons to the wrong address and only found out about the ccj from a job application that required a credit check.

I never ended up paying the remaining £2k that I did owe though (they were chasing me for £4k). I just never gave them an updated address, took myself off the visible voters roll and if they called would tell them to go find the missing £2k and get back to me. It didn't particularly bother me having the ccj, wasn't a problem when I got a mortgage, they were more concerned with missed mobile payments 5 years ago than the ccj!? Looking around the only similar thing I can find is about solicitor surcharges added onto debt that they're refunding, but seeing as I didn't pay it anyway would be difficult to argue that I should get that. I might stick a post on money shaving sexpervs and see if there's something more to it. £2050 seems about right though. lol

Personal data being sent or used elsewhere can have serious implications and heavy fines, so they'll often give out fairly decent sums of money. At one institution they gave someone £250 just for receiving a letter meant for someone else. Didn't even have much on it, was a template cover letter with a form attached.

6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Make those balls squeal!

7. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Face is changing at a brisk pace and laserface is confirmed on dec 5th.

Byron C likes this.
  8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

2 more weeks of work and I'm done for the year.

Almightyrastus likes this.
  9. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Think all of our servers and VMs are now on our speedy EPYC boi. I also finish work for the year in 2 weeks. Old servers
    [​IMG]

flibblesan, Isitari, IanW and 2 others like this.
  10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Chicken dinner on PUBG. And I got the last kill needed, and it was a headshot from a vector.

We started out pretty well for who was playing. I wouldn't say we are crap, we're just not as good as the other two players who play with us (who were not online). They are like, really good. Any way, got off to a good start with a DBS. Managed to surprise some guy who did his best to do that annoying jumping **** but jumping out of the way of a DBS is like trying to make a cup of tea in a paper bag.

Got onto the lava map and got three 3rd places. Kept getting flanked at the end. Then last game it was three of us vs 1. He knocked us a couple of times, but we managed to res and move in on him. He had a great position too, but when he came out for the kill I managed to get along side him and put an end to it.

I love winning on that game. It doesn't happen often. Problem is? I am now so pumped full of adrenaline I won't sleep LOL.

11. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Man, what a great weekend.

My uncle was supposed to be coming today to help me drag a mattress out for the council to collect tomorrow. TBH I didn't want to see him, as he keeps saying really spiteful things to me. So I told mum last night I would do it alone (it was easy tbh). Any way, I thought I was going to get a lie in today. I had trouble sleeping (as I knew I would, see above) and then at midnight I remembered that a guy was coming to collect a bike he bought from me (which I really wanted the money for). I got a good price for the bike too.

So, pissed off that I had to get up, I set the alarm for 10. Got up groggy (6 hours sleep). Insta message from Mum on Facebook "Your computer parts are coming". Eh?. I ordered the ITX and RAM the other day because it said "Order now for guaranteed delivery on Sunday !" and then no sooner than I had ordered it they changed it to Monday. Which again I was pissed about. Turns out it was coming today. So, down I went, made a coffee and sat and waited. Amazon came around 11. I thought "I bet this guy doesn't show up for the bike and will want his deposit back". Got bored and carried the stuff up to the bedroom. No sooner had my arse hit the chair and the doorbell went. It was the guy. So now I am rather well off, my board and RAM are fitted (about to start playing with it) and the mattress is gone without another guilt trip of horror from my uncle.

And I could have easily slept through it all LOL. At least I don't have to get up tomorrow so I can have my Sunday lay in then.

adidan, IanW and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Insurance all sorted, leaving to pick up the new bike in about 30/40 minutes.

Kinda bricking it though TBH... This thing is *way* more powerful than my NC750X, and it's *way* heavier. Slightly concerned about cornering, and absolutely paranoid about dropping it! My NC750X is 240kg and I struggle to pick that up on my own; the Pan European is 320kg, so I've got no chance of getting that off the ground myself!

13. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I'm sure it will be just fine, if ever there was a time to upgrade to a heavier more powerful bike it's *checks encyclopedia*: winter :lol:

Byron C likes this.
  14. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Hire a friendly powerlifter to follow you around.

Byron C likes this.
  15. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

3 things...

1 congrats on the new ride :clap:
    2 don't drop it
    3 learn how to pick up a heavy bike the proper way

Byron C likes this.
  16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

OMG

I love it

[​IMG]

Absolute beast of a machine, compared to my NC750X. The NC done me well, but this is just in another league. Much lower to the ground than I'm used to, but it is absolutely glued to the road. There's a certain set of bends on the M4 near where I live that always made me a little nervous on the NC750X. Nothing of the sort on this thing; it just felt so confident and... right. Bags of power, no matter what gear you're in, delivered incredibly smoothly.

Pete J, perplekks45, bawjaws and 4 others like this.
  17. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I have just managed to book the week off before Christmas so that means the rest of this week and next working at home, then a week in the office (still not sure why I need to do that, but hey keeps my manager happy and that means that he leaves me alone...) then I am off until the 4th. Marvelous.

18. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I am downloading Project Wingman.

Time to see how good a 'totally not Ace Combat' game mostly built by a team of 3 guys can be.

#Edit: Played the first two mission, turns out it's pretty good. Seems to play like Ace Combat 4 but the mission are on a scale closer to Ace Combat 6, sweet.

#Edit 2: Played 7 Mission now and the room is spinning a bit, might be time to go to bed. It's very good, but does assume you've been playing Ace Combat for a while beforehand, it's very happy to kick you up the bum. Failed one mission before the intro had ended, locked onto a civilian target and lit it up without looking, oops.

Last edited: 1 Dec 2020
  19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Tits.

The long tailed tits have returned, was starting to worry.

perplekks45, Vault-Tec and Dr. Coin like this.
  20. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

You didn't need anything after the first sentence.

adidan likes this.