1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It is, sorry. It's saying that everything is just fine because it has been so far.

Byron C likes this.
  2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

And let's be honest, it's really bloody not.

• Chagas disease (American trypanosomiasis)
    • Chikungunya
    • Dengue
    • Cytomegalovirus
    • HIV/AIDS
    • Hookworm infection
    • Leishmaniasis
    • Malaria
    • Respiratory Syncytial Virus
    • Schistosomiasis
    That's just some diseases we're, as a species, not equipped to handle without pretty severe medical intervention.

And it's not even like some of them are that uncommon.

The human immune system is good but it's not that good. To claim it's all going to be fine because humanity has survived this long is kinda.. Sorta.. A little short sighted.

Of the things I remember as to why humantiy, as a species, has become this bloated, arrogant, piece of **** on top of the food chain - The immune system wasn't one of them. Pretty sure it was the ability to think. The ability to develop tools and progressively improve said tools. The ability to out-wit a lot of animals. To identify food-safe plant matter. That we as a species developed ways to recover from injuries that would otherwise kill another animal one way or another - Like a broken bone.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

4. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

I knew they wouldn't be happy until they could inject union flags into our veins, wait, wrong thread.

5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

There are numerous reports about this, claiming the flag branding was anything from demanded to requested, to just would it be possible.

6. RedFlames

Given the number of govt-commissioned market research type things in the last 6 weeks or so that I've been invited to that had questions along the lines of 'would you feel better about the govt if we plastered the Union Jack [and/or English flag] over everything we did?'... I'm not surprised in the slightest.

There's plenty in the govt who think they can sell any old **** to the masses if they wrap it in a flag first.

7. walle

walle Minimodder

I haven't claimed it was better, I have pointed out that there are risks involved with vaccines using an analogy, one which didn't compute.

I've been waiting for you to present us with one that works ever since the moment you picked it apart.
    What would you consider to be a sufficiently high enough bar to use as a measurement?
    What I've said Nexxo is that it's been good enough, I wasn't' suggesting it was up to any of our human standards. (I believe that's what Anfield inferred to in above quote by the way)
    I would say it's rather brilliant in its own right, it can even heal the body from cancer resorting to spontaneous remission.The body sheds itself of all cancer cells, but It's a rare occurrence.

If you by "not that good" meant that it's not effective enough to save all individuals that become infected with a disease, sure.
    1,438,096 out of 7+ billion. I'd say it's doing a good job at the moment.

If number of deaths are the argument either for or against there's plenty of those that aren't related to disease, those numbers will help put things into perspective.

Truth is you're not likely going to catch the C-Virus in the first place.

8. walle

walle Minimodder

England

Families warned not to hug elderly loved ones 'if you want them to survive'
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-families-should-not-hug-23074712?qf=

It's a disgusting statement!
    None of these ****wits seem to care that so many of them are going to spend what may well be their last Christmas alone.

It's straight out of Hannibal Hancock's "don't kill Granny" playbook.

Gaslighting an entire nation.

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

[​IMG]

10. walle

walle Minimodder

You're sure good at prancing and hamstering.

Pure gold.

11. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

It's quite on the money, except he is putting the ball squarely in the court of the general public.
    Of course those that mostly follow the rules realise that those that don't are going to F us over over the xmas 'break' , except this time when the brown sticky stuff hits the air distributing circular device we'll be able to point fingers.

Just because you can does not and has never meant you should.

12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

By "not that good" I mean exactly that. It's great for a lot of things - Eating off the floor like a savage, licking windows in a pre-corona world, not properly washing your hands every time you pee, playing in the mud because why the hell not. If life was an RPG character skill sheet, I would strongly recommend putting points into the immune system character trait. I love it.

But it's really not for basically anything that it hasn't dealt with before. As evidenced by the near constant epidemics (Measles in New Zealand, DR of the Congo, Philippines, Malaysia, Samoa in 2019, Ebola in DR of the Congo basically all the time, dengue fever in basically anywhere you can throw a dart in Latin America in 2019, Lassa fever in Nigeria in 2019... you see where I'm going with this, right?) the occasional but more devastating pandemics, and the fact that the flu vaccine changes every year because there are so many strains of the flu virus that even our, according to you, brilliant immune system can't keep track of.

It's not like there are studies on how many lives have been potentially saved by vaccines, how many lives kept from experiencing the hell of some of these diseases (coughPoliocough).

Oh, wait, there are. Here's one: https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2014/02/25/peds.2013-0698

But what, I guess that's not a high enough number for you? I mean, what's that compared to the world population? Better just scrap the entire thing and let the immune system do it all.

It's not like Polio is a big deal. It only paralysed like.. Hundreds of thousands of people, it only put people in an iron lung, but they're fine right? The dead people are less fine, but. Break some eggs, omelettes, etcetera.

It's not like smallpox is so destructive that there's been weaponised versions of it, and it's not like those ever got o.. Oh, ****, USSR did that in the 70's. Okay, but it's totally fine right? It only has a mortality rate of 1% if you get the variola minor strain. I mean, it's 30% if you get the variola major strain (I'll give you one guess as to which one is more common. Hint: It's not the 1% mortality rate one), but what's 29% between friends?

SARS-CoV-2 only has a low mortality rate too! Unless you have a co-morbidity. Which most people have, because that is a fairly broad list. Here is the CDC's list, in case you're interested: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html

It can't be that Diphtheria is bad enough to need a vaccine, right? It only has a 5-10% morbidity rate. It totally isn't a horrifying disease I wish I knew less about at all.

Measles only killed like.. 2-3 million people a year, we've totally got enough of those to spare with our currently 7bn global population. **** 'em.

Rotavirus only kills a few million a year too, so why bother vaccinating against that? It's only shitting yourself to death.

Hell, where's bubonic plague when you need it? Oh. That's right. Still out there. It's treatable, now, so not the death sentence it used to be. But I don't recommend licking random woodland creatures any time soon, because our "brilliant" immune system can't handle that one on its own, either. Not strictly a vaccination point, I admit, but it's kind of interesting to look at things in the world that haven't got a vaccine and how quickly they can tear lives apart because healthcare is apparently a secondary concern for a lot of countries. Like America. I guess it's lucky that bubonic plague isn't in North Amer.. Oh, ****, it is. Sorry about that. https://cdphe.colorado.gov/press-re...colorado-take-precautions-to-prevent-exposure

I wish I could create a parallel world where vaccines were never invented, and we could compare.

I dare say it'd be interesting to have this discussion then, but I guess we'd both have polio or something else horrifying that has been vaccinated out of our lives. Or just be dead.

There are plenty of diseases that the human immune system cannot cope with without help.

I'd like to see your data on cancer claims.

I'd like to compare it to cancer related deaths and statistics. But I guess you'd say it's fine to stop cancer research because it's not a huge percentage of the overall population, so .. What, **** 'em? I guess?

Last edited: 28 Nov 2020
    Nexxo likes this.
  13. Nexxo

Everything is good enough until it isn't.

Human cells develop DNA replication errors all the time. Mostly it makes no difference --there is a lot of redundancy in DNA. Sometimes the cell malfunctions and dies. When it doesn't, safety mechanisms kick in and the cell self-destructs. When it doesn't do that, the immune system kills it. Rarely none of these things happen, and cancer cells develop.

The immune system may still catch on eventually because of the local disruption cancer cells can cause, but they can replicate faster than the immune system can keep up with and then you're dealing with cancer. Very occasionally however, the immune system wins. New immune therapies try to tweak this balance in our favour.

14. Nexxo

Well, there is a risk in hugging your elderly loved ones at the moment. People will have to weigh up the pros and cons.

15. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

[/QUOTE]
    Over the course of 2020, Covid is third in the league table of deaths caused in the USA, behind perennial table-toppers Heart Disease and Cancer (which each cover a variety of different illnesses or conditions).

Source: https://www.scientificamerican.com/...the-third-leading-cause-of-death-in-the-u-s1/

Things look slightly better in the UK and Canada, but not by much: https://www.clubvita.us/news-and-in...-19-compared-to-other-leading-causes-of-death

16. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

The disgusting thing about this is that it's shifting the blame firmly onto the public rather than the government accepting any responsibility themselves.

enbydee likes this.
  17. RedFlames

18. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

What was the net result following the Oxford test subject developing a spinal issue after having the vaccine? Couldn't find much of substance.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yup, that's a great reason to lift the lockdown restrictions, innit?

20. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

1 it was identified
    2 the trial was paused
    3 the trail resumed
    4 the vaccine is on its way to being approved

That it is still being rolled out should speak volumes as to whatever was discovered during the investigation.