1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Link to results?

2. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Will become available in the fullness of time.

3. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Cool. I trust you.

4. walle

walle Minimodder

The remains of yesterdays edit, thought I had removed it all.
    The overall point was to show that the severe risk factors were mostly a result of poor health in general, I then followed up with suggesting that if the immune system wouldn't' operate at its optimal level it would eventually be overcome.

I focused on overweight, obesity and diabetes because bawjaws pointed out that the C-virus is on the rise in the US and on third place in 2020, and since around 40ish% of the population suffers from any of these conditions it may help explain why the C-virus is high up on the list.

If the immune system could fight everything on its own, I suppose it technically should be possible, provided what's in the environment is of its own creation and not artificially created then put into IT, look at man made pollution. Nature struggles to deal with it.

A 'few' of them went off the reservation? Hopefully they won't lose their jobs.

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I have no idea what point you're trying to make here.

Surviving Covid-19 is a crapshoot. There are some predictable problem areas - fat, lung conditions, etc - but surviving the initial infection is one thing. Look at all the reports of long term damage to survivors. Look at the people who were healthy and died anyway. This is definitely an infection that needs vaccinating against. You're rolling the dice every time you go anywhere if you're not vaccinated, for both you, and everyone around you. It's a dick move to be be able to get vaccinated safely and not to bother because of some self importance issues.

The Immune system is good.

It is far from perfect (look into people who have issues where the immune response is triggered for otherwise healthy activity), and even further from being able to cope with everything on its own.

Byron C and bawjaws like this.
  6. walle

walle Minimodder

I think we're rolling the dice with both the C-virus and the vaccine at this point, so for now I remain undecided.

A bit of shaming there, other than that fair enough liratheal.

7. oscy

oscy Modder

Members of Parliament: Mass debating about tiers and stuff.

Most of People: "Coming round on Wednesday?" "What tier are we in?" "Dunno... tier 2? Does it matter? Just come in through the back garden."

[​IMG]

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I think that there is a bit of inherent contradiction in your argument. You state that a vaccine essentially introduces an unknown factor into the immune system, the response of which is therefore unpredictable. But so does COVID-19. In fact so does anything that enters our body --food (what did you have for breakfast? :p), dust, spores, bugs etc. If it gets inside, it is introduced to the immune system and triggers a response --or, quite deliberately, not. It is a miracle that most of the time it works out. Although, as auto-immune disorders and extreme allergic reactions show us, sometimes it does not.

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Labour has said they'll abstain on the vote, so the supposed Tory rebellion over the tiers is dead on arrival anyway.

10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

That's a polite way of putting it.

11. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

My wife and I have been discussing the vaccine a fair bit, and in particular the speed at which it seems to have been developed. I'm aware that there are a number of people who are reluctant to take a vaccine that has been developed so quickly, however it's really hard to get all the facts when there is so much fearmongering and misinformation being circulated by the media.

I found what Tom Fardon said about the vaccine very helpful - he's a consultant respiratory physician working at our local hospital. Here's a small excerpt:

ModSquid, liratheal, adidan and 2 others like this.
  12. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Regardless of content, which I do need to reread and absorb, you have my appreciation and respect for your delivery, sir.

Most adult of you.

LennyRhys likes this.
  13. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Very handy post thanks, i've not read much about the mrna approach that has been taken.

Well, other than beyond it needing to be stored at -70 (which also turns out to not be the full picture as when it reaches where it's going it can be stored in a regular fridge for 5 days apparently)

LennyRhys likes this.
  14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

The Moderna vaccine is also an MRNA vaccine and can be stored at -20, which is well into the realms of 'ordinary' freezers (at least ordinary in a clinical setting).

If policy-makers have their brains engaged then both vaccines could be used to great effect. The Pfizer vaccine can be distributed in high population areas where the doses will get used more quickly, whereas the Moderna vaccine can be distributed in remote or sparsely populated areas where you're not going to have the same turnover of people.

Of course the key phrase there is "If policy-makers have their brains engaged"; my hopes for the US in the new year are substantially greater than they are for the UK!

15. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

This thread explains quite succinctly why the vaccine has been produced quickly but not at the cost of testing and safe guards:

16. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

She kind of lost me with the SoundCloud reference.

17. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

It's common for tweeters of tweets that go viral to promote their wares by adding on a final reply with a link to (inter alia) their SoundCloud; she was referencing that. Fortunately, as it was the final tweet in the thread, you at least weren't lost until then.

18. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Aha! Gotcha. Always learning on this site...

19. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Worth noting that anything in research is by nature steeped in bureaucracy and fundincg concerns. It's pretty rare that you get a situation where there's an obvious need for a particular research output with tons of funding behind it.

20. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I think we could all do with cheering up from time to time, so here's something funny i saw posted on facebook, when I nurse friend of mine was trying to encourage the uptake of the vaccine. I've bolded some of my faves and put it in spoiler as it's long and don't want to make the page 5 miles long (unlike my project log :worried:)

Ok, here’s some facts u can look up yourself to check it all out. I hope I don’t loose a friend but people aren’t screaming from the root tips for no reason. XxX
    The world health org is run by a convicted terrorist
    The who also funds the wuhan lab 10 miles away from where the Wuhan market is
    He’s even changed ur local laws in the school reg sex Ed during the pandemic - look them up ul be disgusted!!!
    Bill gates and co pay all media platforms
    Google
    Fact checker
    Utube ...
    Bill gates is being done in 4 countries for crimes against humanity as he he disabled, deformed and killed a lot of women and children due to his vaccinations
    He also has openly and many times admitted he wants to depopulate the earth
    He has very strong links to Epstein
    The reason all news and media is heavily heavily against trump is because he’s pulled funding from Wuhan and cut ties with China- something Biden has already said is in motion to get back in place
    Trump and his team are stopping a world elite sex ring - famous people we will know. Hence why the world is against him and fraud was used to get him out.
    #savethechildren and #draintheswamp is part of it.
    Boris, bill gates and world leaders met two years ago for a dress reversal virus pandemic.
    Why are we all getting tracked? Cars phones iPads? Ask yourslef because that ain’t saving nana.
    In fact the elderly population has decreased due isolation and fear.
    Why have all the leaders lied about exact figures of death of COVID? Blended in normal flu 90% reduction on normal flu deaths this year
    Why if anyone speaks out including ALOT of doctors and scientists they’re stripped of their licence?
    Of corse there’s a horrible virus of corse!! But why is the government using it to control the world?
    Now back to the bible and prophecies
    Our lady stated in Fatima and garabandal in the end times the world will return to communism
    And lastly in revelations
    Anyone who does not receive the mark of the beast CANNOT buy or sell, and people will turn against each other. Anyone who does receive the mark fo the beast will NOT receive eternal life
    I’m not saying this is the mark of the beast but many believe a precursor. Bill gates patented it in 2012/13.
    There’s much much much more but don’t believe me look it all on a private search provider like duck duck go