1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ Da Module Thingy - Handmade Not Sponsored

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Jean R built, 19 Feb 2020.

1. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Well I have to defend the little Miata as it is amazing.

When I was the owner of an Alfa Romeo GTV :rollingeyes:, my brother lend me the keys of the little Miata to go to work, too many times :sad:.

These little cars are very dependable if you do the regular maintenance, and they are a pleasure to drive on the road and on the race track.

It stays in garage to preserve the paint.

But I have to say that I love my little Kitty too, I don't want it to get jealous.

Last edited: 4 Dec 2020
  2. Canardwc

Canardwc @French_fab_factorie

hi, new feet of your mod make me think to replicants. Very nice. still looking. :thumb:

Jean R built likes this.
  3. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

By replicants what do you mean? At first I thought about Blade Runner, and then I did a fast Google search and I found mostly Blade Runner references :worried:

But yes it has an Alienish Sci-fi vibe like the case :grin:

The fingers will be a different from the concept, I'm waiting for the aluminium to be delivered next week, then I can complete them and show you something.

If I were faster at drawing with Tinkercad, I could show you a preview, but time is getting short for the CMWS20 so I prefer to use it more in the Lab now.

4. Bossywalker

Bossywalker What's a Dremel?

They may have meant Replicants from Stargate.

Jean R built likes this.
  5. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Thanks I Googled them, and yes right now the fingers without shells can be positioned that way, and indeed look similar to the replicators.

I discovered them today, as I didn't follow the Stargate series very much, well I think that the fans will appreciate that detail of the foot.

As for the fingers design, at the beginning of the project, I wanted to have a Sci-Fi design that could vaguely remember how a mechanical octopus arm would be, but considering the time constraints I choose a crabby version.

Then when working on it, I saw the possibility that I could go with the original Idea so I'm pushing for it now.

I'll give them a finish that mix brushed and polished parts, it will have a vague jewelry/ watch metal belt vibe, I hope you will like it.

Cheers

6. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Here is an update, I thought that a 3D sketch would help you get an idea of the new fingers, and help me to check clearances before bending and cutting.

As I said earlier in other posts the sections can be configured in different ways, in the sketch you can see the what I would call "compact" configuration, as it has the smallest footprint being stable.

Another thing I want to specify is that it is a fast 3D sketch so not all parts are present/visible especially the shells.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers

Last edited: 6 Dec 2020
    4LIEN likes this.
  7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Looks like a little robot that got a rock dropped on him. :lol:

Jean R built likes this.
  8. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

I thought almost the same when looking at the photos after the post :hehe:, now I like it as I find it funny :grin:

9. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Hi all

So here is the mid week video, this time there won't be any real working, as I spent the last few days just cutting the fingers sections and drilling a lot of holes, so it would not be that entertaining to watch.

But I put in the new 3D sketches, there is even the last one I made just before the uploading of the video with some added details to the support structure.

Like last time it's more a Concept than a full 3D model and it's missing parts, I don't need to CNC or 3D print it, so who cares.

Cheers

douglas alves likes this.
  10. kim

kim hardware addict

really impressive work and accuracy on these hinged feets :jawdrop:

Jean R built likes this.
  11. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Well in the last months I was scouring the web for good deals for my PC and my brother's PC GPUs, as you may know to no avail, I won't make the same mistake I made during the Bitcoin farmers GPU starve.

This time I will wait until prices get back to normal, Black Friday, Cyber Monday didn't help me in getting any GPU deals, so I went ahead and took the deals I found on other things and upgraded the RAM and now the LCD screen I wanted since May 2020.

So the time for my 7" LCD screen has come, it's touch screen too so If I find myself in deep space only with the Case and only a way to power it I can use it anyway to save the day :cool:.

All works, I just need to move the Cooler Master RGB controller as now it's hidden by the screen, but I'm already crafting a small frame for it so it's all good.

12. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Hi all again and here it is, the new Episode is online.

I didn't upload it earlier as there was the release date of Cyberpunk 2077, so I thought that probably a lot of people wouldn't have watched it on Thursday.

Now I'm going to complete the Cooler Master Controller frame, cut the access to the LCD touchscreen on the acrylic shell and the aluminium spacer for the LCD screen.

Cheers.

Toru likes this.
  13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Food grade aluminum: Yeah, but does it taste good?
    Base is looking solid.

Jean R built likes this.
  14. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

It taste like other aluminium :worried:, but this one is guaranteed in not killing you if you use it to make/serve food, lick it :grin: as it is the same used in chemical labs.

15. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

I broke another vise :wallbash:.

I'll try fix it with an old car jack screw :rollingeyes:, I use it to extract the car bushes, so it should last at least until the end of the project.

Cheers

Last edited: 15 Dec 2020
  16. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

New Episode online this time the New Cooler Master RGB controller aluminium frame.

Cheers

17. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

here is a sneak peek at the back of the LCD support frame

[​IMG]

and some photos of me while fixing the vise, at least after spending some hours fixing the thing, it works now.

This is the square nut of the car jack screw inside a frame made out of mild steel

[​IMG]

This is the car jack screw used for the repair

[​IMG]

Drilling a hole in the screw for the locking pin

[​IMG]

Test fitting the new screw

[​IMG]

The fixed vise with the new screw on

[​IMG]

Cheers

Cheapskate and ivory2k19 like this.
  18. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

I'm adding some carbon fibre cable covers to the new aluminium frames

I used some carbon fibre scraps I have in my garage.

[​IMG]

I'm doing a last mod to the cable cover/handle module, if I can I'll upload a new video of Da Module Thingy updated.

I don't know what I'll show on the little LCD, I'm working on a dedicated Rainmeter UI, but as you know I'm busy with Leetfoot.

I don't think that I'm going to get the interface ready in the next few days, but who knows?

Cheers

Last edited: 19 Dec 2020
  19. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

I LOVE the way the music changed just as you started Deberring:rock::rock:

Short vid's on WIP is deff the way to go in worklogs now :thumb:

You got me hooked again :D fantastic work as always:rock:

Jean R built likes this.
  20. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Thanks a lot for the feedback :thumb:, it's the first time I try to record a build log.
    We were trying to gauge the best duration to see which worked better, from now on we'll keep them around 4-5 min :grin:.

Cheers.