1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Smallest possible full ATX case?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bennylava, 22 Dec 2020.

1. bennylava

bennylava What's a Dremel?

Hi all, I'm looking to turn my current gaming rig into my office computer. So I want to save some space by putting everything into a much smaller case. The full tower isn't necessary anymore. So I was hoping someone here knew what the smallest full ATX case is these days. My motherboard is a Gigabyte z77x-UD3H, so it's dimensions are 30.5cm x 24.4cm. I think that might be the limiting factor.

So I'm just looking for the lowest volume case I can possibly buy that will fit that board. I figured this would probably be a good place to ask. Thanks!

2. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

The Raijintek Thetis is pretty dinky.

You motherboard is standard ATX size, 12 x 9.6 inches.

Arboreal, David and Bloody_Pete like this.
  3. bennylava

Thank you, I'd never heard of that case. I'll put it on the list. Is that the smallest one in volume? I want to see just how small I can go. I'll be working with limited office space so the smaller the better.

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

< 28 litres? Jeez, I've seen bigger ITX cases!

5. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

I think it's getting there, much smaller and you have to compromise other things e.g. won't fit an ATX PSU, or a discrete GPU, or a non-slimline CPU cooler, or any HDDs... etc. The Thetis is 5.5cm taller and 12cm wider (or deeper depending on how you look at it) than the motherboard so there isn't much more space to be deleted; here's some pictures https://semiaccurate.com/2017/09/28/raijinteks-thetis-window-case-review/

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

You need an SFXL PSU, mind.

7. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

The Sliger built Cerberus X at ~22L is about the smallest conventional ATX case out there, albeit at a cost.

Some of the SFF guys have created 10L or so ATX cases, but they are pretty compromised in terms of what you can put in them. e.g. GPU on flexi riser and mounted parallel to the board, obscuring the rest of the PCIe slots.

8. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

You mention gaming rig. What GPU are you using? That may also be a limiting factor

9. bennylava

Likely something very small, like a Gt 1030 or amd equivalent. I'll probably sell the GTX 970 that's in it now, and replace it with the smallest card that can easily handle 1440p streaming video. As I often reference youtube for work. In this way I save money, cause while an i5-3570k rig is a lower end gaming rig these days, it's a wonderful office computer, especially since I use Linux which takes up less resources than windows.

So I just need to identify the smallest case, and weigh that vs building one that's semi-open air. Once I finish researching whether or not that can become a fire hazard. Doesn't seem like it would be, but I'm sure they build cases for a reason.

10. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants