1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I was pretty impressed with that - forgot it was even a thing part-way through! Leaps and bounds better than Uncanny Valley Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy...

liratheal likes this.
  2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

While you have the Disney+, it's a good time to binge all 16 episodes of Mandalorian.

Arboreal likes this.
  3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Nah, not a Star Wars fan. I've heard good things, but it ain't my Cuppa Soup.

LennyRhys likes this.
  4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I'm not one either but I decided to give it a go. glad I did but now that s2 has ended I'm worried it'll end up like the MCU with cross overs/cameos, linking to other series etc.

5. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

6. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I couldn't give two hoots about Star Wars either but Mandalorian is set apart. Just a good sci-fi transplanting of classic spaghetti western storytelling. You can literally forget it's star wars for the most part other than the guns and ships looking vaguely familiar. It's a standard 'lone gunman takes on burden from job gone wrong and rediscovers own moral compass' yarn, very well executed. I'd recommend it in spite of its technical attachment to the sprawling mess that is the Star Wars franchise.

7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I really hope that the events of the last two episodes draw a line under Mando's crossovers into movie canon and it goes back towards being about Mando. Although with (Katee Sackhoff) and the (inverse glowstick of doom) still in play it looks like they intend to continue the story from Clone Wars and Rebels, which would be fine by me, the Mandalorian episodes from those shows were some of the best.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Maybe I'll give it a shot, then!

9. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Meh, we gave The Mandalorian a go and got as far as episode 6, and then got bored and probably won't watch the rest. Incidentally, I am a Star Wars fan.

We watched Jack Reacher last night, really enjoyed it (if you can stomach Tom-I-can-only-play-one-character-Cruise as the protagonist). Would give it a hearty 7/10.

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

As someone who has seen more Star Wars content than he willingly signed up for, The Mandalorian is pretty good. It plays out like a Star Wars themed Firefly IMO.

Even the ships look a bit similar..

11. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Signed up for Disney+ last week and am looking forward to a Mandalorian frenzy over the Christmas break.

Wait, I'm home alone this evening - S1E1 here I come!

Solo 8/10
    Kicked off the Disney+ subscription by catching up with this.
    Will want to watch again on the big TV, rather than tablet late at night...
    Some epic scenes and settings, couldn't decide whether the fitting in things to the backstory was good or a bit too clever...

On that topic, I WILL be watching Rogue One again, as I feel it to be the best of the recent films.

adidan likes this.
  12. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Yeah I quite liked Rogue One because it wasn't very Star Warsy. It was a WWII film...in space! A pattern is emerging. To remain good, Star Wars must become less and less Star Wars, and more and more other genres.

13. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Rogue One is definitely the stand-out Star Wars film of the new batch. Definitely watch it again, especially since Disney just announced that there's going to be a new series based on Cassian Andor

Arboreal likes this.
  14. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Loved Rogue One.

I also think Solo got hounded more than it deserved, I quite enjoyed it. There seemed to be alot of complaints about a backstory, in a backstory movie...

Going to get another month of Disney and get the second season of The Mandalorian in. Even the OH really enjoys it because, mainly, baby Yoda not Yoda.

15. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

One assumes you've not read the books, you'd not stomach titchy Tom otherwise.

16. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

17. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I've not read them but my mum has and all she ever says about the film is "that's not Jack Reacher".

Not reading them helps I guess, I quite liked it (I think?) - been a while.

18. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Makes you question who did the casting.
    Who would you have cast as JR?

19. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I've read two of the books and I like Cruise's Jack Reacher. If movie Reacher was like Book Reacher it wouldn't work, because no paid off mook would go within a thousand feet of book Reacher no matter how much money was on offer. Little short overly confident Tom Cruise actually looks like someone the average goon would assume they could beat up/get the better of. Besides the only person you could cast as Book Reacher would be John-117.

20. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

As a stand alone film with no knowledge of the books it's pretty ok, just don't watch 'never go back' as that sucks

No idea, I don't do celebrities, I'd struggle to id 9 out of 10 actors in a line up.
    But 10 minutes on Google I'd throw the following names into the hat;
    - Jason mamoa
    - Idris Elba
    - Dwayne Johnson

Arboreal likes this.