1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Your Room and Computer

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 19 Oct 2007.

1. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Here's the most up-to-date picture of my PC, I still need to get some pics of my updated desk now that I've wall mounted my monitor it's all looking much tidier than before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

The thread is 13 years old so there will likely be dead links to images and old broken bb code littering it.

3. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

[​IMG]

The new rig, setup and running.

Last edited: 14 Dec 2020
    Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  4. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

That looks a bit flash ! Will it stay so tidy ? Were those desk legs originally part of some oceanic bridge, they look sturdy enough.

... and ... was there a girly pic on the portrait monitor and thats why it's switched off for the photo ? (you can tell bit-tech, we can keep a secret).

5. BennieboyUK

Ha, thanks. :)

I do keep it tidy - it is also my main workspace, so during the day gets a bit messy but generally kept like this.

The desk legs are spec'd to 75kg, I did consider this when adding the additional AW3418 on the top. I am within the limits, but I wont be adding anything else to the desk.

The vertical monitor is only used on my work MacBook/Razer Core for email, my PC is only connected to the 34's hence why it is off :)

B

6. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I like that a lot... that’s too much monitor for the missus to tolerate in our current dwellings... I plan to sneak a small monitor vertical to my 34 liyama one of these days...

Looks productive!

7. BennieboyUK

Thanks - Yes, I find it really productive. I have Trello on the top screen, email on the vertical and then working space on the main display when working. When gaming I have the top as my OBS screen for Twitch and game on the main screen. Works for me at the moment.

B

8. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Updated the desk setup, shelf is now higher and monitors on an arm. Still more to do but I'm quite pleased

[​IMG]

Also updating the guts of the PC all black inside now, shorter cables needed though

[​IMG]

Sentinel-R1 and bawjaws like this.
  9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I bought Ion Fury recently, and I thought "wouldn't it be cool to play this on a CRT monitor!?". So I dug out my CRT monitor, and I can confirm that it is indeed cool to play a retro-style FPS on a modern computer using a CRT:

[​IMG]

But you know what? I quite like the idea of having an old-school CRT sat next to a 30" LCD so it's staying on my desk for now :grin:

[​IMG]

It desperately needs a refurb though. The anti-glare coating is stained, so that needs to come off, and it blinks & flickers every now and then... I doubt it's anything serious like a flyback transformer, I will probably be able to get away with re-capping it. I've just never been keen on opening up the casing on CRT displays!

And I won't be able to keep it there forever... Right now I'm using the iGPU in my i5-3470 to run the CRT, since my motherboard provides a VGA output. When I eventually upgrade I'll need to get an HDMI to VGA converter cable in order to keep using it, but it's likely that I'll lose access to the very low resolutions that this display can handle.

Mr Happy likes this.
  10. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Madness! I've been glad to get rid of my CRTs since circa 2005, it has notably improved my eyestrain at the computer.

I love LCDs. :rock:

Byron C likes this.
  11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Fun madness though :grin:. I love LCDs too, but honestly if you're running something from the CRT era then it just doesn't look right on an LCD. I originally dug this out to use with an upscaler; it was a compromise between using a modern LCD and getting a really good quality CRT TV. Scan lines are harder to achieve on a CRT monitor, but you can do it...

One thing that blew me away when I hooked this LCD up to a 'real' computer was just how smooth it is.... Win10 recommends 1024x768 and at that resolution it runs at 85Hz; I used 60Hz LCDs for so long that I forgot how beatifully smooth higher refresh rates are. Definitely going to have to look into >60Hz displays when I eventually upgrade my primary CRT.

12. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

@Byron C I was playing Forza Horizon 4 on my old iiyama CRT t'other day - so nostalgia, such neck glow.

[​IMG]

Byron C likes this.
  13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

That looks like a nice screen... Is it 21"? Sure looks like it - my Trinitron is only 17"...

14. jinq-sea

Yeah it’s a 20 or a 21 - I forget now. VisionMaster Pro 510. It’s a goodie!

15. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

You'll need some proper bolts for the wall mount ... over 30kg

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

DuckDuckGo tells me it's a 22-incher. Nice!

17. jinq-sea

I think 22" total, 21" viewable. She's a beaut. You've a nice Trinitron specimen there too - a few caps and she'll be right as rain I suspect.

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

The anti-glare coating is stained as well, so that'll need removing:

[​IMG]

Saw a post from someone with a slightly older model, the 200ES, who was able to basically peel it off. Hoping it's the same with this model.

Yes, that's something I do not miss about CRTs - sizes quoted being total size rather than viewable size... My 17" Multiscan 210ES is only actually 16" viewable!

19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

* must resist urge to make knob joke *
    * bites knuckle /gnnnrrr *

Anyhoo, hope the screen peel is easier done than I somehow imagine it would be. Is it just a fingernail job or do you need something to disolve it somehow?

On a tangent, anybody know where to look for a good corner desk? I need more room in the loft and I could accomodate the roof angle better with a corner one.

20. jinq-sea

jinq-sea goads @adidan into more nob jokes

That's a shame about the anti-glare coating - I know of people who have done arcade CRTs with glass polish to get out scratches, and have successfully removed anti-glare coating in a similar way, but wouldn't it be good if it peeled off.

adidan likes this.