1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Pete J's thread of Lego building (current project: 76210 Iron Man Mark 44 Hulkbuster - Alternate)

Discussion in 'General' started by Pete J, 21 Sep 2019.

1. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Almost £2K for... a single minifigure? That's some expensive plastic right there. Then again, individual MTG cards have changed hands for more than ten times that amount, and they are just pieces of paper, so I guess it's ok. :lol:

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

True. When a friend of mine got out of MTG 20 years ago, selling his collection netted him enough for a decent used car. It would've paid for a new one if he'd held out till now.

LennyRhys likes this.
  3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

That is one expensive lego figure.

4. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Expensive when compared to buying new, yes.
    Cheap when compared to the super-rare minifigures...
    linky

Pete J and LennyRhys like this.
  5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Well, I'm certainly not buying it for the foreseeable future

But anyway, another update now that I'm off work for a week and visiting the folks!

Y-Wing

[​IMG]

A little bit more detail added. More progress on that when I get back home.

8838 Bike

[​IMG]

Thankfully the last package from Europe arrived before the year's end, so I started on this.

Now, onto the Harley...

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Harley update for today:

[​IMG]

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Harley-Davidson complete!

[​IMG]

A pretty cool model that was straightforward to build. Recommend it to anyone who is a fan of choppers and would like a desk ornament.

Onto the Ducati...

8. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

None of your imageshack pictures are working for me on any device, but it may just be me as no one else has piped up.

9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Working fine for me on my PC and my phone (both on WiFi and mobile data).

10. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

did you ever order any?

I was thinking about this the other day and wonder if hydro dipping with metallic paint might give you the finish you are after?

11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

For some people, it seems a bit finicky. Maybe try a page refresh, or copy and paste the link address?
    I've got an order reserved for the new year, but after a conversation with a friend was wondering about setting up a little business printing the rare parts. Getting them the right colour was one of the hurdles, so I'll have a look into 'hydro dipping' as I've not heard of it before.

12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Ducati progress today:

[​IMG]

This is with the modifications. There are two obvious ones currently present: 1) the belt drive connecting the engine has been changed to gears (probably to eliminate slip issues) and 2) the exhausts have been changed to flexible ducting. More fiddly than the Harley, but also more technical. Certainly still a fun build.

@mrlongbeard I've tried using an alternate link. Let me know if it works.

13. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Looking good on the duke. They remind me of my teenage years.

My old man had a couple (916 > 996 > 998) and finally an MV (before he became old to ride them).

Having said that I don’t I miss him turning it over and giving it some beans sat on the paddock stand at 7am after I woke him up coming home drunk or the neighbours had a noisy party.

It was like hell opened and all the beasts were released.

Pete J likes this.
  14. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Ducati completed!

[​IMG]

Heh, just looked at the picture and realised there was one missing piece - sorted.

This is a damn cool model that any Lego fan should own. A very detailed model, both in terms of technical features and appearance. Easily the best value set that can currently be bought. The modification also added in a front wheel guard and brake callipers, as well as a few aethetic changes here and there. I also accidentally dropped one of the chain links and wondered why it was a bit tight, but left it as was: I find that putting the chain on 'upside down' seems to be a bit better too.

And now, onto the Hulkbuster...

15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Hulkbuster progress:

[​IMG]

I'm actually going to have a lot of spare parts left over as the upgrade uses far fewer parts than the vanilla model and also combines the 76031 set. In retrospect, it may have been cheaper to have just ordered the parts needed for the model; oh well, at least I have a Hulk. I may look into building a Hulkbuster mk2 as the spares may cover most of the parts needed.

16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Hulkbuster complete!

[​IMG]

A really nice 'conversion' of the UCS set that is a hell of a lot closer to the version seen in Age of Ultron, though my research has shown that there are actually many variants of the Hulkbuster out there. There are a few small scale accessories to build too (the satellite 'Veronica, Dum-E and a hot rod), as well as needing to place an Iron Man minifig helmet under the larger helmet (at home). There's also a small clip bit that holds the helmet on that should be dark red (currently Dark Bley) that I'll buy when I order the parts for the Hulkbuster Mk2 - just need to do a stock check before ordering.

I'll be returning to the Rebel Starfighters soon, though am tempted to take a break from Lego to complete a PC game or two.

17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Bonus update!

The 8838 is complete:

[​IMG]

I had this set as a young youngster and must've rebuilt it at least a dozen times. God knows where it is now (this one is built from sourced parts), though one nostalgic touch is that the number 7 plate on the front is actually from my original set - I had it on a MOC I built about 24 years ago.

.Anyways, here's the completed motorbike collection:

[​IMG]

Satisfying.

18. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

@MLyons Please may I ask a favour? The forum's doing that weird thing where I can't update my first post again. When you're next back in the office (so to speak), will you do that nifty thing you did that solved it last time?

19. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Should be good to go now. Will add this to my list of things to properly fix when in

Pete J likes this.
  20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Boy that's a blast from the past - I had that top motorbike kit too.

Pete J likes this.