1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

"After Brexit we will have control over our own borders". :hehe::hehe::hehe:

The staff in our hospitals are pretty traumatised...

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

There are some talks of proposals being drawn up at some time in the future...

Meanwhile elsewhere:

loftie and adidan like this.
  3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

4. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Interesting thread. I stole the threadreader link from one of the replies https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1345210393715564544.html

I was chatting to my sister and discussing how my grans 2nd vaccine shot has been cancelled (awesome :rollingeyes:), and got around to discussing schools/nurseries etc closing/staying open. She mentioned one of her friends who works in biosciences as a researcher was worried that nurseries were staying open as it would increase the chance of mutation to affect toddlers.
    Now IANAS (technically I am, kinda, since I did a maths degree), but I wouldn't have thought that leaving nurseries open would have increased the chance of mutation as they were open before. So I thought I'd see if any of our bittech family here had any knowledge in the area to explain the thinking. My googling has failed me.

5. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

...things are being done properly.

6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Here we go again - big man about to advise.

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I think he should stay quiet and let the grown ups talk.

ModSquid and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  8. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I think that will require a change of government.

9. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

:hehe:
    Ha! You say that, but Chris Whitty has just answered a load of the questions I was going to put in a massive post earlier, so maybe he should swap podiums for the middle one.

I'm still not clear on though:
    • Why does Winter make it worse? Immune systems lower?
    • Can you still catch and re-transmit the virus after having had the vaccine?
    I suggested earlier that we should give it a shot. I'm still up for it.

10. RedFlames

sunday - schools are safe
    monday - we're closing school til february
    today - schools might not be back til september

11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I think the belief is that in winter people are are indoors more and so if you're inside a building with someone who has a virus you're more likely to catch it.

Plus there's less sun so less vitamin D, that may have an effect.

As for the latter question, I don't know, I would presume so. The vaccine will just enable your body to fight it.

12. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

If it's like other viruses then it will live longer in cooler drier conditions in winter so transmissability is increased. Sunlight reduction decreases vitamin d so immune systems are compromised increasing susceptibility also.

I don't think we're wholly sure as to the extent to which an immunised individual can be infectious in the future. The expectation is that it would lower the chances as a vaccinated individual is a smaller reservoir for the virus, but as nasal passages etc could harbour the virus outside the reach of the immune system, transmissability can't be ruled out.

13. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

It's worth noting that doesn't take much of a case by case increase in transmissibility to turn a low base level of infection into an exponential increase. R number is key. There are various small factors in winter that make things worse in winter rather than one or two substantial changes.

14. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

And there's my answer to why nurseries are open, but schools arent :wallbash:

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Well that logic is...
    [​IMG]

MadGinga likes this.
  16. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

It's the logic of a Tory, money has more rights than the people sacrificed to get it.

17. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

So Hancock has yet to grasp the notion that kids may not be as vulnerable to 'rona, but are entirely capable of carrying and transmitting it. I mean, Bozo only figured it out a couple of days ago, so the lag time on the rest of the clowns' grey matter absorbing the idea is yet to expire.

Or have we gone full right-wing capitalist and decided to sacrifice the proletariat on the altar of the mighty Sterling?

18. RedFlames

You only have to look at the various procurement contracts going to MP's mates and Tory party donors to know the answer.

19. walle

walle Minimodder

That may hold true if the virus doesn't mutate, maybe, and every time it did you would have to impose another house arrest and solitary confinement to try prevent the spread of the new mutation, this approach would lead to far more serious problems down the road that would make the C-virus look like a minor inconvenience.

When people lose everything they lose it.
    This could help explain why the virus kills more blacks than whites, blacks are vitamin d deficient because their skin is...black (requiring a stronger sun and more sun hours to compensate) therefore they have a weakened immune system.

Or, the C-virus is simply 'racist', I suppose we could also add 'sexist' to the list since it kills more males than females. Or, women have a stronger immune system, which would make sense since they are the incubators of the next generation. But in a post-rational world such a statement would most likely be deemed 'sexist' in and of itself.

PS
    Are you guys team X-Men or team Magneto? :D

20. walle

walle Minimodder

Oh, it wants my attention again.

...Hello

You're welcome.

:)