1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Washer/Dryers Combo

Discussion in 'General' started by goldstar0011, 18 Jan 2021.

1. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Howdy

This is probably the most adult question I have asked ever!

What's the opinions on washer/dryer combos?
    I'm moving house and it doesn't have space for a seperate dryer and I would really need one regularly as it's just me. I've engery consciosue so I would use it reguarly but I would like to have one but are combo units any good?

Thanks

2. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

I used to have one a few years ago, rented place and it came with. My clothes were always cleaned well and dried fine. The drying seemed to take a while, but then dryers are never the fastest things. Usually the combo things have a condenser dryer type arrangement that pumps its own water out, which I think are the more economical and you don't have to empty a water tank.

goldstar0011 likes this.
  3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Bear in mind that the dryer capacity is typically half the washer load. So, after you've finished washing, you have to remove half the load before starting a drying cycle.

goldstar0011 likes this.
  4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I had one, and it died (drainage pump), and I bought another to replace it. Works fine. The drying cycle takes an age, but they come out pretty dry.

My current one is this, which... appears to have already been discontinued. Amaze.

I wanted this one, 'cos it's got a bigger drum and all kinds of exciting features - self-cleaning seal! Steam-freshen your clothes before you go out! - but while it's the right height and width it's just that bit too deep to go where it needed to go. Boo-urns.
    Yeah, try telling that to my wife. A washing load is "as much as will physically fit in the drum," and a drying load is everything from the washing load that doesn't specifically say it can't be tumbled. Everything still comes out surprisingly clean and dry, though!

The_Crapman and goldstar0011 like this.
  5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yup we had one because of lack of room in old house, it was great, still gets used as you can do bedding and go straight from wash to dry but in our current house missus went back to separates because you can do more in parallel, the washerdryer is a great option if you don't have space for seperates, ours was an LG direct drive, very good, 10yr warranty on the motor and as its direct drive that is basically the machine :D 5yrs parts and labour on the rest.

Our standalone cheap ass condensing dryer is a lot quicker at performing the drying task though.

Last edited: 18 Jan 2021
    goldstar0011 likes this.
  6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I have the opposite problem. Our current washing machine has a 50% greater maximum load than our previous machine but, my wife won't put any more in than she did with the old machine...

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

The conversation involving the need for clothes to move and space for water often comes up in our house too.

Plus, ya know, not having it trying to spin its way out of the house.

I've still not got up to speed with the "that's not black, this is a black wash" argument either in 40 degree washes.

8. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Far better getting dedicated machines. Not only are washer driers slower (at drying), but you can have another load in the washer whilst the previous dries.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Except, y'know...
    The only way I could have a separate dryer is if I got rid of my oven.

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

depending on where is goes you can stack them, previously had them in a cupboard one on top of the other.

11. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Ovens are over-rated anyway.

12. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I bought a combo washer dryer & it broke down at least 10 times in 8 years.

My washing machine that only washes has been solid.

Maybe a heater drying rack & a washing machine?

13. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Washer / Dryer owner here, I've got a Hotpoint RD 966 JD

All I can say is if you're thinking of getting one, get a decent warranty/cover plan as all washer dryers are unreliable. This one was a product replacement from my last machine which was 12 years old and probably had every single part replaced at least once.

14. sandys

sandys Multimodder

My LG has been reliable no doubt why they feel they can warranty for so long.

15. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Mine was horrible. Clothes used to come out steaming and stunk. Maybe because I didn't know you could only dry half of it, and mostly because it was crap.

I got a separate washer and condenser drier now. Kicks ass.

16. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

No room to stack unfortunetly.
    I've never paid for the extended warrity but I have to be grown up and do it this time.

I am hoping to build outhouse/shed that could house a dryer but that won't be anytime soon so a combo unit for the odd drying and probably a heated dryer rack.
    It's only me inteh house so there shouldn't loads of washing and drying

17. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

We just got one of these for things we don't put in the dryer and it works better than I expected, though for things like jeans have found you do need to reposition them a few times.
    Definitely stops the slightly musty stank that had come from hanging things to dry in a fairly cold utility room before. It dries quite quickly too if you ignore the advice and lay things out on it instead of hanging things off it.

I haven't used one for a long time so perhaps they're better these days, but IME all-in-one washer/dryers compromise both aspects, so a heated drying rack may work out if you have the space to have it up when you need it.

18. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Make sure it's covered & it'll dry jeans without the faff. We've got the dry:soon one with the cover and it works a charm

19. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Didn't realise dryers were so common and imagined they were going the way of the dinosaur with people becoming more energy concious.

Regardless I tend to think the rule is a machine that does one thing well >> something that does multiple things meh.

20. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah get the rack. They are very good. Cheaper, too, and probably cheaper to run. Just have enough clothes to not be in a rush for them. In summer I use a rack, don't need my drier at all (not a heated rack). I keep mine in the bathroom in the area where the ceiling is low.