1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL What subjects is your YouTube home page OBSESSED with suggesting videos about?

Discussion in 'General' started by oscy, 20 Jan 2021.

1. oscy

oscy Modder

Mine spams me with US election coverage in Japan (NANI?!) and Top Gear (I've never watched Top Gear, no nothing about cars, and can't think of a presenter I like).

I even tried labelling them as 'not interested', and don't have a watch or search history, yet if one time I search 'world's biggest asparagus', 3 months from now it'll be asparaguseseses galore.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I don't really use YouTube to browse, only to view videos directly. If I go to the homepage, ignoring the top section of previously-watched videos and an advert for the COVID-19 track and trace app, I get: A music mix based on a song I like, PE With Joe 2021, The Very Best of the Muppet Show - Part Two {Vol 1}, 'District 89' Best of Synthwave and Retro Electro. Then adverts for YouTube Movies.

3. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I go straight to what I am going to watch or, put in a search for it. I completely ignore the bilge that YouTube try to push at me.

4. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

yuusou likes this.
  5. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Car, bike, gun, plane, tech, makers vids mostly, to be fair it's pretty much spot on with my usual subscriptions.

But of late the blasted thing keeps triggering restricted mode which will not stay turned off when in chrome, so it can jog on.

6. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

Been getting a lot recently for model train things. So, I think my son has been into youtube.

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Not sure how the algorithm works. This is currently being suggested to me..

Pete J likes this.
  8. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

Well I don't see any issue with being shown that.

LennyRhys and adidan like this.
  9. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

This. You're welcome btw, @enbydee.
    A bunch of LTT stuff. Late night shows (Meyers, Colbert and Noah). Snippets of One Piece episodes. ETA Prime. Live vinyl sets. Restoration videos. Marc Rebillet.

10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Sidemen. Whoever the f**k they even are. I can't even remember how many times I have clicked "Not interested".

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

In no particular order: Aquaholic, The Mighty Jingles, Most of the Tech Tubers, news feeds, various bushcraft/camping/outdoors channels. Plus, whatever rabbit hole I happen to fall down on a given day.

Random algorithm suggestions tend to end with me hitting the "Do Not Recommend Channel" option, so most of my recommendations are just stuff I would normally watch.

Last edited: 20 Jan 2021
  12. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Endless Minecraft/Roblox 'play' videos from a host of vacuous American twentysomethings you'd have to pay me substantial amounts of money to tolerate.

And some woman who renovates squishes with lurid latex paint.

Yes, my kids are signed into my Google account on their PCs. I don't mind, like Gareth I don't tend to browse YouTube but rather search or link to it.

13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

The Good

• Lego
    • Vidya gaming stuff (anything from parodies to reviews, usually of old games I like)
    • Jordan Peterson
    • Gerda the Cheetah and Messi the Puma
    • Animals doing cute things
    • Jonathan Pie
    • Watches
    • Anything else I'm currently interested in
    • EDIT: oh, and HEAVY METAL :rock:

The Bad

• No counterarguments to the political videos I tend to watch from time to time (the Youtube algorithm is great at boxing you into an ideological corner) - show me the other sides to an argument you gits!
    • The News

The Ugly

• How to get a woman the slimey way (honestly, you watch half of ONE effing video like this to see how much of a bell end the guy is, and it haunts you for ever)

14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Mostly food/recipe videos... with some tech and trek thrown in. Some car/f1 stuff too.

and occasionally YT will determine I no longer comprehend English bc I've watched one too many Chinese [sometimes Indian or Japanese] recipe vids on the bounce.

15. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Hah, they do that to me after a Russian engineering binge.

16. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Lots of Gun Jesus videos, I even though I'm subscribed they just like to spam them, along with WW2 documentaries

The_Crapman and boiled_elephant like this.
  17. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Mine randomly did that to me the other day too. No earthly reason, I've had the account for over a decade, manage a business thru it, pay for stuff on Play. I even have credit cards stored in gPay, it was like "enter a card to prove you're over 18!" and I'm like "YOU LITERALLY HAVE IT ALREADY". ****ing obtuse system.
    You just summed up the dilemma of the generation right there.

It gets weirder though, because "enlightened centrist libertarian contrarian" is, itself, a cliché that the algorithm has learned. So now it spams me centrist debate videos about free speech and progressivism vs the alt-right and the partisan divide, and talking head philosophy students waffling on about the political climate, and oh Lord I just want my media platforms to stop telling me who I am and play dumb for a day.

Pete J likes this.
  18. adidan

See I think there's a theme to all these that are suggested to me but i've no idea what it is.

I just feels like there is a theme.

Pete J likes this.
  19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Y'see, if that had popped up on my page, I'd click on it. :blush:

adidan likes this.
  20. adidan

Oh I did. :happy:

I mean, YT does seems to find me videos I didn't know I wanted to watch but do.