1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It baffles me that nobody's lead with the headline "HANDS OFF THE NHS".

Nexxo likes this.
  2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Too busy writing listicles and blaming the EU for such punning.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Consumers are now discovering that being outside the EU... means being outside the EU.

Not looking forward to the delivery of that laptop I pre-ordered a while back - it's coming from Germany. I'd have been OK it if it'd had come on time - it was originally scheduled for December.

Let's see, £1,500 plus 20% VAT is £1800, plus... oh, 84.71.30.0000 is zero-rated for import duty, that's nice. Assuming it counts as "Portable automatic data-processing machines, weighing not more than 10 kg, consisting of at least a central processing unit, a keyboard and a display," which is a subcategory of "Automatic data-processing machines and units thereof; magnetic or optical readers, machines for transcribing data onto data media in coded form and machines for processing such data, not elsewhere specified or included," which - bizarrely - is a sub-category of "Nuclear reactors, boilers, machinery and mechanical appliances; parts thereof," which is a sub-category of "Section XVI: Machinery and mechanical appliances; electrical equipment; parts thereof, sound recorders and reproducers, television image and sound recorders and reproducers, and parts and accessories of such articles."

I'm so glad we've ditched all that EU red tape, eh?

(Must check with my accountant if the import VAT is reclaimable like normal VAT payments are...)

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

(Chances are, they know as much as you do...)

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  5. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

Pretty sure it counts the same as any other input VAT, it's just the collection method that's different (i.e. HMRC is taking it off you rather than through the retailer).

6. Gareth Halfacree

That's not so bad, then - I'll only be out whatever the courier's handling fee is.

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Never underestimate customs fees.

8. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

GH, other than duty and handling fees (maybe the fees would have been applicable pre leaving), you may have saved something on the VAT.

German MwSt is 19%, which is what would have been added when we were in the EU. Now we're out, they can send it net of MwSt and 17.5% gets added here.

That said, the VAT will be on the goods + shipping + duty...grrrr

I think that @enbydee is right about VAT being VAT and it should be reclaimable.

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Why 17.5%?

10. Arboreal

Eeeek! I seem to have hopped in my time machine to the last VAT era pre 20% :wallbash: So, yes it's WORSE now as is my grip on reality.

I really should concentrate on work and not look at B-T

perplekks45 and adidan like this.
  11. loftie

loftie Multimodder

It became 15% first then 20% IIRC, all around late 2000s. :p:

12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Thought i'd missed out on some good news, turns out not :waah::lol:

13. Arboreal

It was 17.5% at one point and that's a bugger to do in your head!

I recall using x 0.851to de VAT amounts when billing.

14. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Yea it was, the 2.5% break to 15% was to stimulate the economy then it went to 20%.

15. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Did you pay on pre-order? All of the new VAT etc guidance pages say at the bottom of the page:
    Goods sold before 1 January 2021
    If a seller receives payment for an order before 11pm on 31 December 2020 and dispatches the item after that time, these rules will not apply.

Old VAT and import charges should still apply.

16. Gareth Halfacree

I did indeed - well, that simplifies things, then. Ta! (Just got to hope HMRC is aware of that when the parcel sails into Customs...)

17. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Should, being the word there.

18. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Fingers crossed, but from my experience they usually struggle to find their own ... hole without a map, a guide dog, and a written step by step guide.

19. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Wrong thread. Oopsie poopsie.

20. Gareth Halfacree

Another "being outside the EU means being outside the EU" article, this time focusing on UK-to-EU and goods returns - but I just had to highlight this:

First, there is no small print. The deal isn't a mobile phone contract with a bunch of crap hidden on the back yellow-on-white flyspeck-four. Everything is just... print.

Second, you don't even have to read the deal. Anyone who's ever ordered something from outside the EU gets a knock at the door and a demand for VAT and handling charges. The only change is that the UK is now outside the EU, and - shock horror - now gets treated like any other not-inside-the-EU origin or destination.

None of this should be coming as a surprise. Consumers I can forgive, 'cos very few people can actually be bothered to look anything up despite having immediate access to a near-infinite supply of knowledge on a magic slab of glass they keep in their trouser pocket, but businesses? C'mon, you should know better. Adam Mansell, head of a flamin' TRADE ASSOCIATION, should certainly know better.

perplekks45 likes this.