1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice NAS build advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stephen0205, 19 Jan 2021.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Something else to bear in mind when choosing a drive is where it will live.

It's a fair assumption that the more NAS oriented a drive is, the less important acoustic performance features in it's design, and as such the noisier it will be. have 10x Exos and Ultrastar drives spinning away in my NAS and they're comparable to an idling jet engine.

So definitely don't just go for a pro because it's more betterer.

Last edited: 20 Jan 2021
  2. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

Thank you guys

ill keep a lookout for the iron wolfs and check pricing on the red pro drives. My machine at the moment has the 2 wd drives I grabbed in it and it's not overly noticeable, but I'm sure they're both 5400rpm drives and when there both spinning up I notice but not massively.

The new build I'm gonna do for it will have some sound dampening stuff in it, and its most likely gonna live in the study alongside my machine, I wear headphones all the time (noise-canceling ones) and I don't imagine 3 drives making that much racket, with the setup I'm thinking off.

If it does I think ill just make a wee space for it in the hall cupboard and see what I can do for ventilation.

The hall cupboard will be another project at some point, get a wee rack, grab a decent switch, cable the house with cat cable, get the router in there, grab one or 2 decent access points. We shall see

3. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

@Gareth Halfacree @Mister_Tad @wyx087

What is your thoughts on an all in one like this one ?

Finishes in a few hours, considering it. Can keep a hold of the drives it has as spares for any reason they may be needed and start population with 4tb drives. Not sure. Looking at this one it can run ubuntu or unraid.

The cpu on it however isn't to powerful so not sure it would be up for plex. Any all in ones that might be cheaper than doing a full build ? (synologys seem cool but damb the price for half the performance that u would get from a custom nas, but defo smaller and quieter.

EDIT::
    Looks like there is a pms version for this, but an older build. Wonder if I could get a newer one running though ubuntu or debian

upload_2021-1-21_14-35-1.png

http://www.thecus.com/product.php?PROD_ID=9

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thecus-N...890034?hash=item2f5284ae72:g:3vgAAOSwgSBgAINF

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm never a fan of the appliance stuff, 'cos I like to roll my own software. Never had any personal experience of Thecus, either - I've only ever played with Synology.

I'd make sure it'll actually boot a third-party operating system, if that's your plan - they often don't. Even my new one is limited to the Armbian builds of Ubuntu and Debian, not mainline.

EDIT:
    Looks like you can install stock Ubuntu, but you'll be following instructions from a broken website that were last updated in 2015. Good luck!

Last edited: 21 Jan 2021
    stephen0205 likes this.
  5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

According to this review, it's got a DDR1 (?) based Celeron and over 10 years old:
    https://www.gamingnexus.com/Article/Thecus-N5200/Item2107.aspx
    "The Thecus N5200 is powered by an Intel Celeron M processor running at 600MHz with 512KB of cache. Ram consists of 256MB DDR"

If you have Plex Pass, you'll want to use PMS built-in hardware transcoding feature, which have a list of requirements:
    https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002178853-using-hardware-accelerated-streaming/
    That page leads to this spreadsheet, it tells you if a given off-the-shelf NAS can do software and/or hardware transcoding.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Ac4oOLPRtCkgUxU0jdj3tmMPc/edit#gid=1274624273

stephen0205 likes this.
  6. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

pass on this it is thanks fellas

7. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

The thing is, whatever you want your server to do now, you'll want it to do more later. All roads lead to rolling your own.

stephen0205 likes this.
  8. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

Yeah I'm very much thinking that man. Home grown its. In two minds now, will need to check the nas killer 5.0 guide and figure out a few things. Concrete budget. Cpu , power usage, which system to run (something with docker by the looks)

Back to the drawing board for a few weeks me thinks lol

9. creative

creative 500rwhp

got any old hardware kicking around? I put together an old bare bones rig of stuff i literally had laying around for a mate to try Unraid. He is now on the lookout for something a little more dedicated, all he has to do is move the drives and the Unraid usb to a new build and fire it up.

10. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

Unfortunately not, usually, if I end up with stuff, it gets put together and gifted away to people who need it more than my crap cupboard. Lat bout of stuff went into 2 passable lower end gaming rigs, few people on here donated for one of them as well.

I have pretty much an i3 2nd gen cpu and some ddr3 ram kicking about as well as the drives. On the look out for some cheap machine in the local area , just want to make sure it has the capacity to take more drives

11. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

What you have sounds like it has potential, if you have room for a retired mATX business PC from HP/Dell/Lenovo, that is going to be the cheapest way to get going. I bought 8 s775 / s1155 HP PCs in lockdown locally for £20, and made up some working kits and barebones with the rest.

12. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

@Gareth Halfacree

Drive 1 / 2 = No idea why one is in exfat rather than ntfs, I assume that was the external drive which is a white label WD drive, googling I'm assuming its a standard red varient. The second drive is a WD blue model
    upload_2021-1-22_16-13-54.png upload_2021-1-22_16-14-15.png

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yeah, the one called "My Book" is shucked from a WD My Book external caddy, hence exFAT. Not sure what actual model it is, though - WD identifies it as a WDBBGB0040HBK-EESN, but what that means in its non-white-label language I have no idea. You'd need to look at the part numbers on the actual label, I think. Even then it's guesswork.

14. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

ah well they should do the now anyway, once I plan to beef my game up go for something a bit better drive-wise. In the process of part picking.

From all the info thinking of doing a raid 6 for it over raid 5, give it a better chance of not loosing everything is something fails. Still thinking Unraid is a good option. Or ubuntu maybe. we shall see.

Thanks for all the advice