1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Anyone built an AIO Barebones PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arboreal, 21 Jan 2021.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I have a spare thin ITX setup sitting round, and spotted a barebones PC that would use it, then found one even cheaper on Ebuyer.

It's a 22" Screen with all the bits ready to add your own thin ITX board and pop their cooler on.

I know it's not really a Bit-Tech thing, but did wonder if anyone had any experience with building or repairing one?

David likes this.
  2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I haven't, but that's quite cool! Have you gone for it?

Arboreal and goldstar0011 like this.
  3. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Shame it's not touchscreen

Arboreal likes this.
  4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Damn you, Tre. You've found something else I want to play with.

5. Arboreal

No not yet, I'm torn with what to put in it.

I have a spare Q87T with an i3 4130 and some DDR3 SODIMMS, but that seems a bit weak in this day & age.

Conversely, I have an i5 7500T and a 4GB DDR4 SODIMM that would work very nicely in this if I could find a suitable H110T Thin ITX board or similar

That would be a nice feature, I've not tried Win 10 with touch. Nice kitchen PC for content and working on recipes!

You welcome, David! I found a £150 one on ebay and that set me off down this rabbit hole; when I saw the newer one was cheaper on Ebuyer, that did not help my wallet at all...

I don't think having a spare Q87T and i3 4130 is healthy, it's sitting asking to be used.

My first one, (from the ebay deal), is now in a 4.6L case that was too noisy for the ITX / flex ATX / GTX 1050Ti kit, but look promising as a roll your own NAS. With the Flex ATX PSU out, a 3.52 drive will go in at the bottom, and another 3.5 will go in the GPU space.

I don't really have a home for such a PC TBH, but the idea of popping your own thin ITX setup into it is very appealing. Maybe my daughter would like it instead of her SG13 setup...hmmm

Damn YOU random ebay finds when feeding the ITX habit

6. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

hmmm that is quite tempting

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

God damnit, that looks fantastic, now I want one.... If it had a VESA mount it would be perfect.

8. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Looks uber interesting VESA would have had me whipping out the CC already...

goldstar0011 likes this.
  9. Arboreal

I am confuse... The Loop website says it has 100x100 VESA, but the only pics I have seen don't show any holes around the cooling vent

Last edited: 25 Jan 2021
  10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Huh... So it does...

11. Arboreal

Where?????????

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Sorry... The website says it has a VESA mount, that's what I was talking about...

13. Arboreal

Do I need new glasses or complain under the trades description act?

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It's tempting to buy it anyway and try to return it if it doesn't have VESA...

Arboreal likes this.
  15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Apparently no VESA mount...

[​IMG]

Arboreal likes this.
  16. Arboreal

Thanks @Byron C for digging deeper into this. Looks like a clear conflict between what's apparent and what the manufacturer's web page says.

/dashes off to design 100mm VESA mount with stand offs to allow airflow into that grille...

[​IMG]

17. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

I spose I could like without Veda if I really had too.

I like the idea of the combo for the second display on my main rig albeit with its own pc. However one of the "issues" is none of these barebone all in one's allow it to be used as a monitor on an external machine.

Where as most actual all in one's do allow for this.

18. satisfiedwimp

satisfiedwimp Minimodder

I build computers from the ground up. The systems rank from a person who wants a way to see their email to a person that wants a gaming unit.

The main factor for not wanting or recommending the purchase of an all-in-one is the problems that exist with buying labeled computers. Proprietary equipment is much more expensive and available from a limited source.

I always begin by purchasing the best equipment with the best price value. This also includes buying items that can be easily replaced at a reasonable price.

19. Arboreal

Agreed, which is why I put in my OP that this isn't really a Bit-Tech thing.

There's a number of us here who like the SFF aspect of things and a number of us bought bargain Asus Q87T thin ITX boards on eBay a while back.

I happen to own 3 thin ITX boards currently, and at least 1 is unused.

Yes, I wouldn't normally touch an AIO with a barge pole, as they are so proprietary in the main.
    I was upset when my uncle bought one a few years ago, as it's so limited.

This is a different case in as much that thin ITX is a niche product,at least there is some flexibility in building and upgrading this AIO.

I could pop in an old H61 setup or a rather newer H110 one for example.

I don't see a problem building a basic pc in this, so long as its limitations are apparent.

My H81T with no PCIE slot and only 2 SATA ports would be right at home here, particularly as you could boot from an mSATA drive to make it 3 drives.

Furthermore, it provides a home for unused kit for me and potentially other members, looking at the response on th thread.

20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I always begin by purchasing whatever's on sale and doesn't look completely terrible...

Arboreal likes this.