1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Features The Most Exciting Games Coming in 2021

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 26 Jan 2021.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Only one that really has me excited is Pyschonauts 2. The first is a gem of writing and art style. The teasers for the 2nd instalment seems to carry on this trend.

3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Bloodlines 2 has me interested, although I won't be buying it any time soon after release. I hope there is a Total War: Warhammer 3 this year (rumours appear to be circulating?) I've sunk so many hours into TW:W1&2 that it might be a close-to-day-one purchase for me this time...

4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Crossing my fingers for Starfield although it'll probably be 2022 by the time Bethesda, sorry I mean the modding community, fix the bugs.

5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Looks like yet another year will go by without Elder Scrolls 6 and, probably, no meaningful indication of when it's coming...

6. adidan

I'd be surprised if we see that before 4 or 5 years after Starfield tbh.

You never know though.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Oh, things are looking up then? :p

8. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

The next few Bethesda games will show how far they want to lock down the games and modding, now that they're owned by Microsoft.

9. adidan

True.

If they shut out the modders beyond their own shop it'll hurt them I think.

The nexus community are the ones that have kept life in the games.

10. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

The cat one made me chuckle.

11. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I've decided I'm no longer getting excited about games after Cyberpunk and so many other launches like it.

I have a very mild interest in Far Cry 6 simply because in spite of how samey and formulaic they've gotten, I've always found them good for an old-school GTA-style laugh.

12. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I'm inclined to believe Zenimax are holding Bethesda back on it, at least as long as they are making good money from TESO.

13. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

I want GTA VI to be announced and I want it to be set in the UK. Not sure what impact Dan Houser leaving Rockstar will have, feel like he was seen as the ideas guy.

I am interested to see if any more news of the next Elder Scrolls surfaces but probably won't be joining any hype trains or anything, I just enjoyed Skyrim and would like some more. Also cautiously looking forward to Diablo 4, a few missteps from the release (and subsequent patching) of D3 have hopefully taught Blizz some lessons, but again that's probably not a 2021 event.

14. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Since 3 it's been copy, paste and enlarge. They suffer a lot from the Ubisoft "sandbox" trait of having more flags in them than a greenskeeper's shed. It saps a lot of the exploratory fun of an open world when you're told exactly where to go and what to do. Would be far more fun to have NPCs tell you approximately where they are, or a rumour of "strange goings on near X" or "a base in a cave that looks like a lion's head" etc and then have to go find it. It's not like the outposts aren't obvious when you come across them with guard towers and enough flags to make Sheldon Cooper moist at the knees.

I got bored about 2/3 of the way into 5. It's mechanic of forcing you into the next boss fight as soon as you'd filled the XP meter was incredibly annoying. It meant I was scared to have too much fun out on the open world blowing up patrols and whatnot because as soon as you've completed that area's boss fight, all random patrols disappeared. Any remaining missions or outposts became a doddle with no additional enemies around to join in the fight and backup was 50miles away. Staggering the availability of the more powerful weapons better wouldn't go amiss either.

I'll probably still get 6 because they are fun for the most part. 5 just tried a few things it thought would be clever that were just plain rubbish and makes you wonder how they ever made it through to the final cut.

15. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

With you 100%, I don't think I've ever stopped playing any FC game because I was done, rather because I was bored. I haven't even played an AssCreed since... Brotherhood?

It's not the story or anything that the game tells or wants you do to I enjoy... it's the miscellaneous mayhem in between. For that reason I thought I'd really get on with the Just Cause series, but not so much. Apparently it's FarCry's particular brand of miscellaneous mayhem that really clicks with me.

The_Crapman likes this.
  16. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'll put it down to a personality quirk of mine, or irrational intolerance (take your pick), but I stopped playing the vast majority of open-world games because of the grind mechanic. Mainly the likes of Far Cry, The Witcher, Elder Scrolls etc.. I'm tired of the whole, collect 11 assorted plants and two animal skins, rub 'em together and make a satchel, so you can collect a greater number of plants and animal skins.

It's not all those games are about but, for me at least, it detracted heavily from the enjoyable parts.

wyx087 and The_Crapman like this.
  17. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I don't think Zenimax are still calling the shots, though. Now it's Microsoft, for better or worse.

18. adidan

Yeah they should get final approval this year and at $7.5billion MS will be calling the shots.

Bethesda is crucial to the future of xbox accorinding to Spencer.

perplekks45 likes this.
  19. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I was forced into the first boss fight on 5 having done VERY few of the missions because I'd spent over an hour ambushing patrols at a particular point where a lot seems to spawn. I'd see how many vehicles I could collect in a pile before exploding them all. Immense fun.

I have barely played any assassin's creed. I got 1-3 off someone in the marketplace for pittance, played through 1, went immediately into 2, but upon finding it essentially the same game I'd just played, got bored extremely quickly and have never felt the need to go back. Some of the later ones are meant to be good as "assassin's creed" has basically become a franchise of "game in X time period". Have a copy of Valhalla that I'll be on once I have my desk back up.

This is exactly why I hated RDR2. I just wanted to be an outlaw cowboy shooting Winchester's and sippin moonshine, robbing train and banks and what not, but the myriad of needless mechanics and boring as hell tasks crammed into the game were too annoying to tolerate. "Oh look your horse is dirty, it will run slower for shorter distances and die quicker, so you better clean him." :eyebrow: Nope. No. Sod off.

20. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

My buddy tried to get me to sign on the RDR2 wagon on the basis that "your horse's balls shrink in the cold".

I never actually found out if that was true, but it's never been my main impetus when considering a purchase.

The_Crapman likes this.
Tags: Add Tags