1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft celebrates first birthday of the new Edge browser

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 22 Jan 2021.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I binned Edge when it turned out that it doesn't keep any of the tabs from your previous session after updating itself, without even asking if you want to update, or advising that this would happen.

Osgeld likes this.
  3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Until they allow a bookmark pane on the left had side like every other browser I ain't using it.

Trying to get the OH off IE onto Edge is particularly difficult because of this. A dropdown is just not as good.

4. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

A study (PDF warning) by Professor Douglas Leith of Trinity College Dublin found Edge to be one of the least private browsers.

Ranked:
    Brave was the only browser in Tier 1, as most private
    Chrome, Firefox and Safari were in Tier 2
    Finally, Edge and Yandex were ranked last in Tier 3

adidan likes this.
  5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Not even heard of Brave TBH

6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Can't remember where I heard about it - a news article somewhere - but ever since, we've had it on all desktops and mobiles. I'm using it now! :rock:

It's not infallible, but it's pretty good and the extensions I used to use in Firefox all carry over (even though it's Chromium-based, I think).

Tab session manager or whatever it's called is incredibly useful. Has a green disk as a logo.

adidan likes this.
  7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I use brave on my low powered coda spirit, it does a great job of blocking everything and keeping cpu and memory usage low. Runs quicker that every other browser, on everything else I use edge, no issue with it.

adidan likes this.
  8. souper82

souper82 Retired 'n' Lovin It !

Just tried Microsoft Edge instead of my usual Opera and i have to say that after using it for one hour it DROVE ME CRAZY !!! (sorry for shouting)
    This history pane on the left hand side which cannot be removed is impossible. I mean, i go through the process of deleting my recent history but its still there for anyone to see (unless you close each and every page you had opened), what's the point of that..?!
    No, no Edge for me...... i'll just keep my Opera even though its completely RAM hungry and loves to show me Memory errors every 1-2 hours.....
    I had to reset my password for this site and using MS Edge was sooooo difficult, i had to reopen Opera just so's i could access the site.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Eh? I'm running Edge Beta on Linux(!) so that I can play Xbox games on my desktop(!!) and there's no such history pane.

Screenshot from 2021-11-16 17-53-54.jpg

What does yours look like? Have you turned on vertical tabs? If so, it's not a history pane - it's literally just your open tabs, like you'd have along the top in any browser. Except... vertical.

souper82 likes this.
  10. souper82

No, no vertical tabs.. it was right up the left hand side of my screen and i could not get rid of it..... moot point now as i no longer have the browser..

11. souper82

Opera GX is great for gamers, i tried it but as i wasn't gaming all the time i went back to the basic and thats where i am today... Maybe give GX another go soon.. lol

12. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

You've never used Edge but have formed the opinion something else is better? An interesting way to do things :hehe:

13. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I'm struggling to tell is passpartu is a real person or a good bot.

Tags: Add Tags