1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Is that your attempt at Scottish pronunciation? :D It's a much softer D, closer to j really, and a shorter "oo" sound - ju-kers rather than doo-kers :)

enbydee likes this.
  2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Azul is really good fun. It's also quite a tactile and pretty game; the plastic tiles that come with it are really colourful and really well done, they're just a joy to play with.

Here's the rest in case you're interested:

[​IMG]

Top right:
    • Star Wars X-Wing: Still not played this yet...!
    • Azul: See above
    • Ticket To Ride Europe & UK Expansion: TTR is a great game, it's really easy for all ages to pick up; the UK expansion brings some great additions to the basic game
    • Android: Netrunner: Cyberpunk-themed card game. Done by the same people as Magic: The Gathering but card decks are released in sets/packs, rather than random booster packs, so you always know what's in each set. Don't play it very often TBH...

Bottom left:
    • Masquerade: Hidden traitor card game. Needs a minimum of 5 players, IIRC, but it's quite good fun (as are many hidden traitor games)
    • Astronauts: Haven't played this in a while, but it's an astronomically-themed deck-building card game - I seem to recall that it's good fun...
    • Port Royale: Pirate-themed deck-building card game - another one we haven't played in a while, but still fun
    • Forbidden Island: Same designer as Pandemic, so shares some similar brutal mechanics. Quite hard, but worth it.
    • Carcassonne: Classic, this one. Nice and relaxed. We only have one expansion, The River, but there are many expansions...
    • Munchkin: Dungeon crawling card game - Didn't get on with this because it feels too much like taking a maths test, and much of the humour falls very flat
    • Several variants of Fluxx: The Fluxx games are great, IIRC we have Star Fluxx, Firefly Fluxx, and Star Trek TNG Fluxx. LOTS of themes available!
    • Hanabi: Co-operative card game... but: you're not allowed to see your hand and have to rely on limited hints from others. Quite hard, but great fun!

Bottom right:
    • Pandemic: Try to stop diseases from wiping out the world's population. For some reason we haven't felt inclined to play this for... ohhhh..... just over a year now, maybe... :grin:
    • Twilight Struggle: Quite a 'hardcore' game this one. Set during the cold war and for two players only. Not one for young 'uns.
    • Eclipse, plus expansions Shadow of the Rift and Rise of the Ancients: 4X (Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate) strategy game. Absolutely brilliant game, I absolutely love it. Don't try the PC or iOS adaptation, they suck - hard. Quite a pricey game; the originals are cheaper now, but the Second edition (which has a lot of modifications, it's not just a straight reprint) is £120+...

3. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Had my first AstraZeneca COVID vaccination around a month earlier than expected and within 3 miles of home which was a bonus.

Vault-Tec, IanW, Arboreal and 3 others like this.
  4. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

I do pronounce it soft honest, and accept your phonetic spelling is better.

bawjaws likes this.
  5. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

I think we need a board game thread!
    Whole-heartedly agree with your assessments of Azul, and Ticket to Ride (although not played any of the versions with extra mechanics as yet).
    Carcasonne - the Abbeys expansion, i think it is, adds some interesting additional elements
    Munchkin - funny at Uni, absolute tosh now - cest la vie!
    Pandemic - great fun, even with the current "situation" - especially when it goes down to the wire...

Have heard good things about Flux and Port Royale, but not played as yet. The group I play boardgames with (primarily via Table Top Simulator at the mo!) dont' seem to be that keen on card based/deck building games - I love Dominion (especially the Intrigue setup), but it is showing its age as game...

Arboreal and Byron C like this.
  6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I think I agree! :grin:

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Whisky, lots of it.

goldstar0011 likes this.
  8. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Not unrelated. Use to do Risk torments in university and given the length of a game each play had their own whisky bottle. It wasn't part of the game, we just didn't like running out. Good memories.

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The printer fans have been replaced with Noctua fans with low noise adapters. It's way quieter, and much less insufferable to be around.

perplekks45 likes this.
  10. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Tonight I made a pretty decent curry, previously I'd only ever managed passable at best, but I've been working on it recently and it seems like I'm making progress.

The inspired moment was when I trebled the garlic content, and used five times as many chillis as the recipe called for :o:

11. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Fretting for a week over an order from the EU.
    What fees, duty, VAT and other gubbins were they going to hit me for on a 100 euro purchase.

Delivered today with a declared value of 25 euros and no additional VAT or fees to pay :clap:

Pete J, IanW and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  12. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Did you burn your arse this morning?

13. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

No, it's not something I've ever experienced, despite having eaten many a hot curry in my time.

14. liratheal

[​IMG]

I love it when a plan comes together.

Aluminium tape on the inside of the 3d printed part, LED strip, bluetooth LED controller, and some of that 2mm table protector sanded with 240 grit, and some black paint and masking tape.

The fold over leather edges are a little rough because I need to take it all apart again to insert the back piece, but I'm waiting on some reflective tape to make the lettering stand out a bit more than just white behind this;
    [​IMG]

Only .. An assload more sewing to do, which is hard to get excited about 'cause I'm doing all the leather sewing by hand, and it takes for****ingever. I need to go around both arm joins once more, I need to do all the hems, and I need to finish the Crystal Jock panel. I'm also debating whether to sew and glue the shoulder piece on for some extra piece of mind, but I need to print the cups for the silicone tube first, and the bits that go on the outside of the collar where the tubes come out on the left, and there's a mirrored version on the right.

..But it's getting there.

15. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

My first thought was that radiant heat neck warmer is going to burn you if you use it. :grin:

liratheal likes this.
  16. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Day 1: liratheal is making a leather jacket, that's quite the undertaking

Day 3: he's lining it as well, really jumping in at the deep end

Day 7: and painting the back, this is becoming something special

Day 86: man, those rifle rounds just bounced off that thing, what a heist, he must've made off with millions.

Nexxo, IanW, perplekks45 and 2 others like this.
  17. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Those kevlar linings are quite something I hear!
    I thought the collar was EL lighting for a sec, hopefully there will be other 'illumerated' bits.

18. liratheal

A younger me would have considered a Kevlar lining. Not much younger, mind you, but younger. Now it just seems more complex, and for the likelihood that I get shot at, Not worth it..

The collar LEDs are Bluetooth controlled RGB strip, so.. Something something technicolour dreamcoat..

As for other lights.. uncertain. The source material allows for some wiggle room in that some of this style jacket have other lights, and some don't. We'll see how I feel. I need to decide on how to power this collar and how long that'll last first, and see what else can be achieved after the fact. Lord knows I have enough LEDs lying around.

Last edited: 3 Feb 2021
  19. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0826323677?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

A very hard to get book on my people's religion (a poor term for any shamanic or animistic faith.) I'm working on a new story based in Native Futurism and need to know more than I remember from being raised around full blooded members. I can tell some of the stories very well, but I would like to know more about the beliefs and the people that held them.

My next target is Mvskoke Empvnvkv, so I can expand my Mvskoke vocabulary and tease out the grammar. I am classified as a "rememberer" linguistically, as I know some from my childhood but am not in any way fluent. Working to preserve a swiftly dying culture and language for a few more years.

20. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Flew a photo sortie in a Hawk Mk.132, adding another 1.5h to my fast jet tally... not a bad week, this.

Obligatory cockpit selfie:
    [​IMG]

yodasarmpit, Nexxo, Goatee and 9 others like this.