1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Hi-fi and AV junkies anonymous

Discussion in 'General' started by Mister_Tad, 16 Jun 2020.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I have spent days calibrating it. With the living room door closed I have made sure when you get to the front door you can't hear it.

The flat is sound proofed too, so I have not had to faff around with that stuff you stick to the walls. I guess they realised that autistic people, especially when angry and or melting down, can be very noisy so they sound proofed the shiznit out of the place. I have never even so much as heard a mouse fart in there tbh.

It's also funny how with the windows open I need another 3db on the amp to achieve the same volume, yet with them closed it's too loud. I also had to spend hours calibrating the sub, as the room is shaped like a horn what with one end being angled. You get to the kitchen and the bass is super heavy, as it's being fired that way. Again, all tuned out. It was the bass that I had the hardest job with. Needing to be courteous and not wanting my flat sounding like a house party was the priority.

Thankfully the AV32 has it all. And I mean all. I am still learning how it works after using it for almost a year. It's an incredible piece of equipment tbh.

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

After having our house electrics sorted out last week, I can start plugging things in.

Intended to play John Wick 3 last night for a few minutes just to check all was as expected, watched the whole of John Wick 3 instead, in glorious 3.1 channel sound. Still a long way off 7.6.2, but this is the first time I've been able to use the AV setup (or at least some of it) since the end of October, and have been on TV speakers since.

No tripping so the new CU is doing its job, no humming so the regenerators are doing their job, and no gound loop troubleshooting so, I guess the regen on the AVR is addressing that too? I've used to need to tie it to the PDU ground in the past.

Is good.

Now I can get on with the fun part - planning the cinema proper.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

4. Vault-Tec

Awesome. Shame about the movie and all. I thought it was total Thomas Tit.

5. Mister_Tad

What's not to like? Sometimes you want a shooty, stabby, loud and shiny leave your brain at the door affair, and any of the three delivers.

In other news, electrician has just been around again scoping out phase 2 of the cinema build (well, phase 1 really, as it was before we knew there was a phase 0 that needed addressing) I was going to run the cable for the dedicated mains for the AV rack myself, but my intended route has proven to be problematic and going to involve a lot more work.

It's definitely DIYable for me, but it's turned it from one of those "few hours over a weekend" jobs to "eugh I really need to get to that but I just can't find one contiguous slot of time where I have the requisite motivation level to do it" jobs, and given I now know he does absolutely top notch work more than happy to have him on the job. This plan also gives me a permanent route for cat6 or fibre from the location where the comms rack will be through to the loft, as an added bonus.

6. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Insurance replacement arrived today. 2 inches bigger than the last one and I'm told size does make a difference.

Samsung EU50TU8000

[​IMG]

Pretty happy with the out of box settings but will be having a proper play later tonight.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  7. Vault-Tec

The first two were great. The third one? incohesive.

I watched all three Taken movies last weekend. Best sound experience so far with a movie.

8. Mister_Tad

Broke ground on the cinema room this morning :clap:

[​IMG]

A wardrobe no more, stripped of shelving and flooring. I was going to strip the walls too, but then decided I'd put some acoustic panels in here. There won't be much fan noise to hide... I mainly thought it would look cool when finished...

I decided I wasn't happy with screwing the rack directly into the joists and instead will be bolting it through the 2x4s to spread the load across 4x floor joists rather than just two.

Now that the IT gear will be somewhere else and this will just be AV, I absolutely don't need 45u and scoped out some smaller ones, but just made no sense since I already had this one. Too much rack space is never a problem anyway.

So now I just need 3-4 km of cables in order to put the gear in here :/

Yaka, liratheal and Vault-Tec like this.
  9. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

A big house like that and you are putting the cinema room in a cupboard? Won't it be a tad cramped?

liratheal and Mister_Tad like this.
  10. Mister_Tad

Most of the time it will be just two or three of us, so it's not too bad. Though having the TV in portrait will take some getting used to.

Arboreal, Yaka and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  11. Vault-Tec

Fart cave mk2

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  12. Mister_Tad

Added the second sub yesterday and I'm blown away by the difference dual-sub makes so far - even without calibration or dialling in of any sort (other than volume by ear).

I've not in 20 years managed to get such an even bass throughout the entire room. Even after meticulous experimentation with placement, calibration and simulation, there's always been noticeable peaks and troughs, maybe not in the main listening position, but straying too far away from it would always reveal them.

This was just a case of plug in, set to the same vol level as the other, tell the AVR it's there and job done.

Arboreal likes this.
  13. Mr_Mistoffelees

BOOM! BOOM! shake the room.

14. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

[​IMG]

B1GBUD and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  15. Vault-Tec

I never bought the Sony CD player home. I was going to sort of hide it on the floor, but the new centre went in there. It won't look nice in the stand, so I kinda went off the boil. Then last night on Facebook I saw this.

[​IMG]

Worked out a deal, and it should arrive about 5pm. £50. It's about as good a match (display, colour etc) for my system without spending £400 on an Audiolab. Not looked it up just yet, but I remember Cambridge making some killer transports so I don't doubt it'll be more than good enough for me.

Not buying the amp, as I have those coming out of my ass :D

16. Mister_Tad

Collecting these this weekend all being well...

[​IMG]

Which will round out the set for the full 7.2.6.

Granted I still only have 3.2 actually plumbed in, but at least this is more motivation to get on with it.

Vault-Tec and Yaka like this.
  17. Mister_Tad

Dedicated AV circuit finally live today too, electrician stopped by the afternoon and terminated it into the board.

Full steam ahead now.

[​IMG]

18. satisfiedwimp

satisfiedwimp Minimodder

Nice!
    Cool pairs! Very nice collection you have there.

19. Mr_Mistoffelees

I like a nice pair...

satisfiedwimp likes this.
  20. Mister_Tad

I've been working on my rack this week, but I'm too shy to post photos of it on the internet

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.