1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding The 3D Printing Thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by SkiDave, 6 Jun 2015.

1. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Looking at a Longer Orange 30, as I will be able to do a direct swap of the LCD for a 4k one according to their site. Not the biggest, but great resolution and seems to be a great price to dip my toes in.

Will I need a wash/cure station really or is there an easier way to do things? They seem to be part and parcel according to the sellers, but I'm not sold yet.

2. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

you dont ''NEED'' a wash / cure Station, they just help

all you need is a sealable tub for an IPA wash, and some UV leds in a tin foil box

3. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Agree, however I use water washable resin (Elgoo), IPA was scarce when I started resin printing so went straight there and haven't changed resin. That further reduces the need for a wash station.

I have a UV curing station that I was pleased with.

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I have an Elegoo Mars that meets my needs.
    For washing I got a couple of pickle jars from Amazon
    [​IMG]
    For curing I got a plastic paint bucket from a pound shop & lined it with tinfoil & a 405nm LED strip, again from Amazon.
    Under it goes the print on a cheap solar powered turntable. Guess where from?

5. KayinBlack

Sounds like a plan. However, one piece is missing. I still need a PC. How powerful am I looking to make models from scratch? I already know some CAD and have unlimited time.

6. lilgoth89

honestly not that much, its mainly the amount of RAM that you need, a faster PC means things like Slicing times, and loading times go down, but its a matter of seconds here and there

7. KayinBlack

Any way to tell how big a print works out to be? I need something printed as 1/24 (75mm) for it to fit with my other stuff. I know how much to scale from 1/35, but I don't even know what scale it is now.

https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-print-models/miniatures/vehicles/tank-3d-printable

I have assembly instructions and know what I'm replacing with resin, etc. Just need to know how big it is so I can find someone to print it for me.

8. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

If you know/work out roughly how big something should be in real life you should be able to scale the model to fit your needs before printing (within reason that is, naturally there are limits on how much detail is attainable if you print a large highly detailed model much smaller than intended.).

9. KayinBlack

Thanks for that tip. As it's not based on a real item, that'll be kinda hard. But I found others that actually give their scale, and should print better to boot. Learning little by little.

10. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

My tip for finding the "actual" dimensions for something that doesn't really exist is to look for something that would be a fairly standard size if it did exist. For instance the ladder on the back: Most rungs are about 12 inches or so apart, so just by eye that would make the vehicle around 8-9 feet tall minus the turret. Once you have that it's easy to approximate the other dimensions and then scale them as required.

11. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I've only used PrusaSlicer, but I suspect this will apply in general. The slicer will provide part dimensions. Under the scaling tool you can set the size by dimension or by percentage. As that model is in parts you'll wont be able to use the length, but it looks like width would work. Import width, scale to the desired width. Note the resulting percentage and use for the other parts.

12. KayinBlack

You guys are awesome. I know how to scale up from 1/35, now I know how to scale from any size. This is great!

wolfticket likes this.
  13. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

hey guys I need some help here as I'm at the point of rage launching this thing towards france.

I'm very new to this but I've reached the point where I'm starting to regret actually buying a resin printer, The only thing thats printed successfully was the test rooks and nothing else, this is my 5th failure in a row and I'm ****ing sick of the clean up, I get the theory of how resin printer works and I've spent most of my time scouring the net looking for answers but without a working baseline I feel like I'm scrabbling around in the dark and the rising costs with nothing to show for it are starting to irk me.

They're not even complex models, what the **** am I doing wrong.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. lilgoth89

im genuinely not sure how you got from preview image to failed print, the 2 dont really look like the same file....

maybe a file corruption ? there is so much cured resin on the build plate

what do the first few layers on the preview show ? ( after you slice it you should be able to show each layer )

15. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i think either the screens ****ed or something inside has come loose

[​IMG]

chinese build quality is best quality :sigh:

stephen0205 likes this.
  16. lilgoth89

when the screen dies, it basically develops black spots on the screen, so odds are its not a dying screen

17. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

fired off email to elegoo support, everything looks fine in the box so its beyond me at this point.

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Honestly that might be the best option. I'm not familiar with resin printing, so I can't even begin to figure out what's going on.

19. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Yeah, that looks like it could be a buggered screen to me. What does the test square image look like?

20. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

Ouch man, thats not pretty :(