1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Covid jab next Sat. So so happy.

Byron C, IanW, wolfticket and 6 others like this.
  2. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Car was recovered to the garage yesterday, managed to get a courtesy car in the process which saves borrowing my parents car. Financially not ideal but fixable... could have been a lot worse I suppose

Woke up this morning and by 9am was walking along the beach, nice sunshine, very little wind. Really don’t take advantage of were I live. Really took a lot of my shoulders having that walk, followed by a bit of baking and general activities.

Now I have two days left to do interview prep and I’ll finally wash my hands of it all either way and can move on. it feels like the days of leading up to a GCSE/A level/Uni Exam you just have no idea how it might go. Just hoping you do enough... all you can do is your best!

Staying positive

3. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

Got my brakes fixed. Replaced the calipers, rotors and brake pads. The reason I did those is because the calipers blew their seals so.. that's not fun. Took me and a buddy of mine 2 hours to get it sorted and tested and bleed. All a-ok now :)

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I've been down to the vaccination centre this afternoon for my injection of mind-controlling microrobots, invented by the illuminati.

Can't stop and chat - gotta run - those 5G masts aren't gunna burn themselves.

:lol:

Last edited: 28 Feb 2021
    The_Crapman, Isitari, IanW and 4 others like this.
  5. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Good stuff @David.

We seem to be in the laggiest surgery locally for the age limits coming down on vaccination.
    Neighbour 3 doors down, younger than my wife and with no medical problems had his this week at another local surgery.

No idea if our lot are into the 50-60 age band yet

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Which vaccination centre was....

Oh hang on * tippety tap tap tippety tap *

Nevermind i've located you.

IanW, Goatee, Mr_Mistoffelees and 2 others like this.
  7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I'll send you a human text next week

IanW and Goatee like this.
  8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Finally got around to testing my TPA3116D2-based amp board today - was going to do it yesterday, but I'd ordered 12AWG which was TOTAL OVERKILL and did not fit any of the terminals or spade connectors!

[​IMG]

Works just great and seems to be pretty damn loud...

Now I just need to make some real progress on the rest of the amp... I'd planned to have:
    • microcontroller-controlled input selector
    • IR remote control
    • motorised volume pot
    • etc...
    But now I'm wondering whether I should just make an old-school rotary input selector switch and have everything be completely manual... Would be much quicker to get to the point where I can throw it in an enclosure and call it done...

9. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

#12 AWG blimey how much power can that amp use? In North America #12 AWG is used for 20 A circuits. Older houses are mostly only wired wired with #14 AWG for standard 15 A circuits. Also what are you doing ordering #12 AWG rather than 4mm² (actually closer to 3mm² but I understand that its an atypical size).

Unless you want the micro-controller to provide some smarts when it comes to input selection, or have it from a remote, then I'd go with a manual selector.

IMHO audio equipment MUST have big heavy knobs. I just don't get the same satisfaction from small or low resistance knobs. Lets be professional here, please limit your knob jokes to only the most inspired and creative, and we can skip the low hang knobs. I thank you for your cooperation in advance.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  10. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Nobody likes a floppy knob...

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I initially picked 12AWG because I thought "yeah, that looks like it'd handle 15A @ 24v and it's cheap enough" - I had no idea of the diameter of the conductor.... 18AWG is far more sensible!

The idea with the input selector was to use a microcontroller to drive a relay-based input switch, and because it's hooked up to a microcontroller I can use any input I want: buttons, rotary encoder, IR remote, etc. But now I'm thinking that, if I still go down this road, it would be easier to use a Raspberry Pi in place of a microcontroller. I wanted to build a Raspberry Pi into the enclosure anyway so I could use it as a network media player.

Arboreal likes this.
  12. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Is that a Fiio Taishan DAC lurking among the detritus, Byron?

Byron C likes this.
  13. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

randomly googled an artist I follow and literally tripped over an ebay listing for an art book of his I've been trying to get for over 5 years.

It's just shipped from Texas this morning, customs are going to eat me but I really don't care. IT IS FINALLY MINE! :rock:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 2 Mar 2021
    IanW and Byron C like this.
  14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Close! It's the E10K. Doesn't get that much love these days - I'm usually using my Corsair wireless headset - but it works great as a DAC as well as a headphone amp. I toyed with the idea of integrating a USB DAC to this amp project, but they're hard to do well and the E10K already functions well enough as a DAC.

15. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I use an E10K for video and game sound, bloody good device for 60 quid.

Bought mine less than a year ago via Amazon, now the best price on Amazon is £135...

Last edited: 1 Mar 2021
  16. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

#18 AWG is the typical wire size used in ATX power supply wiring harnesses. I'd have thought it still be on the large size for your terminals.

FYI:
    Voltage is not critical for wire sizing just the amperage. P=I·R. R is set by the wire size and length, thus more current you pass through a wire, the more power the wire dissipates and more power means more heat. Voltage and temperature rise are used to select the wire insulation.

17. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm constantly blown away by how enthralling 3D printing is.

I'm currently watching Spawn's torso and arms go up and down as the FemShep model prints (It's like.. Twice the height), it's crazy. A day ago they were just files on my PC, and now, here they are.

Not to mention the Darth Talon model and the Charizard model sat on my desk having gaps filled (That resulted from my printing, not the files). What a time to be alive.

18. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I got the job.

yodasarmpit, David, Isitari and 19 others like this.
  19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Awesome :rock:

20. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Never in doubt!

Congratulations dude.