1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia 3xxx series thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 6 Jun 2020.

1. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

This is pretty awful. Any chance you can phone them up and press them to reserve you one in its place? I've always found their CS team to be really helpful (though I imagine the combination of Covid fatigue and all the stress customers will be putting on due to the semiconductor shortage might, very legitimately, make them a touch less friendly than normal...)

boiled_elephant likes this.
  2. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

I called them as soon as the lines were open. What they said was that Scan essentially don’t hold the stock and only fulfil the ordering on Nvidia’s behalf with the cards shipped directly to customers. They don’t have any way of revoking the cancellation. They were pretty apologetic, but couldn’t do anything about it, or know why it happened.

Omnislip likes this.
  3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

If your ISP uses dynamic IP addresses, you may have gotten a recycled IP address from someone who already got a 3080FE in the past.

4. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

There policy is *any* 30x0 series card. So even if the IP brought a 3060ti, then you wont be able to order.

5. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

True, that is a possibility.

The issue that really irks me is that it’s an automated cancellation system, with no way to challenge it, and the cancellation email implies that it’s because I’m dodgy. And as the only place you can get a FE card, it means I’m unlikely to be able to buy one at any point.

/rant :)

6. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

Thanks for the offer - and the others following this post.

As others have noticed, I'm now in the US (though not in California for the time being, now updated). My old rigs are in the UK. I have a 750Ti in my 1st build from 2008 so I could go that route and get it shipped over here but I'd rather keep that build as-is. Also slightly regretting selling my 970 2 years ago, though it was too long for my 2013 rig and considering the shipping address I was given when I sold it, I'll take partial credit for Max Verstappen winning a few F1 races last season.

I'd rather buy new but I'll post in the sales forums if I change my mind.

Probably better than the iGPU on a 10600K, but at least that gives me a usable system for office based work that is the 2nd use for the new rig - I was leaning Intel anyway just for the flexibility an iGPU provides but the current scalping/shortages of GPUs and a lack of Zen2/Zen3 AMD APUs made the decision easy, especially after I got one on sale Thursday for $175 including tax, which was just too good to pass on.

Everything else I need is either in stock or in my apartment so I can at least go ahead with a new build I'm happy with and drop in a GPU later on.

7. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

Ive been waiting for both camps to release their GPUs as im due a refresh. Bad news though my GPU bricked it last night !!!

i was looking to get a 3060 or 3060Ti or maybe the 6700 or 6700 XT now i NEED one and my chances are slim to none. 2nd hand is a joke. people are selling GPUs from several years ago that cost £200-300 at £300+ now :(

what the best way to try and get a card?

8. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I just sold a 1650 for £175, a 1070 (special version with block) for £285!

Got to agree, it mental out there on the use GPU market!

EDIT: To be more helpful have you registered for the part alert discords? If you in a desk job and can drop everything to order you have a chance of getting something.

9. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Try adding cards you want to account wishlists and then when they do drop into the systems you can refresh the wish list rather than the product page (with everyone else). Helped me secure a 3070 on launch day. You will need to do some digging on when stores are restocking as I suspect there is a pattern. Part alerts seem sensible but they're so common place that you're still competing with 100's of other people.

10. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

bagpuss, maybe just aim lower for the time being - if you can get by with a 750 Ti and foresake the more demanding games for a few months, they're still about £50-70 on eBay. The silver lining is that a 3D-capable GPU has a lower limit value it always retains of about £30, no matter what it is, so you'd be able to sell it on for about that on the forums and then you've only spent like £40.

It's a good time to take a break from Warzone and fire up Left 4 Dead 2 again...

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Spawn camping with F5 at nvidia.com, scan.co.uk, aria.co.uk and currys.co.uk, if you try anywhere else the prices will be off the charts.

12. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

annoyed that Scan are still putting up stock for spawn camping when I'm still 94th in the queue for my PC build to even get started...

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

It's not Scan. It's Nvidia. Scan are just the sole official distributor for 30x0 FE cards in the UK.

14. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

16. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Yeah but if Crypto carries on like this there will never be an end to it. And im watching the price on Coinbase all day long .By pure luck someone in my company overheard i needed a crappy GPU for 2nd PC and come up with a GTX 950 which i gladly gave him £30 for. I just cant understand how they can profiteer so much from this. Can they just ask what they like when guided MSRP is this far off?

If Argos / Currys started punting out PS5 / Xbox for a £1000 a pop surely theres some sort of law they breaking? .. Either way its the real shitty end of the stick that CCL are offering its customers and i hope people dont buy from them :( its outright taking the piss out of peoples.

17. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

The old familiar conundrum is that if they put them up for RRP, their competitors would snatch them all and resell for this price anyway. Supply and demand is a double-edged sword.

18. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

The Vision OC is the most expensive card in their range. However, that's still far too much for which is nothing but a 2070.

19. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I hate that I'm going to say this but I understand the increased prices by retailers.
    Imagine going from selling 100 GPUs a week to selling 5 a week (I don't have specific numbers from anywhere, just theoretical) because of short supply. The business has to try and make up that shortfall somehow.
    To make it worse, both AMD and Nvidia have shortages in GPUs, as does AMD in CPUs.

20. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yup, need the same but i'll be sticking with the igpu until silly season stops.

Looks like at 1440p it's no better than a 1080Ti.