1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I dumped Farcebook 2 years ago, not regretted it.

Pete J likes this.
  2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Why the hate for Facebook, I find it a great way to keep in touch with people I wouldn’t get the chance to see day to day, and I like the memory jog (bit of a journal of my life) I can look back on.
    Just ignore the crap and use it for its original intention.

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I can't delete Facebook!
    (I never signed up for an account)

Mr_Mistoffelees and Pete J like this.
  4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

This.

I've closed my original account with 800 friends, given nearly all of them were people I didn't even like. Opened a new one, kept it strictly family (we have a family memories page which is super ace) and new real friends and BMX buddies. It's so much better. I've not liked or followed one single thing, and the ads don't really bother me much.

Due to the rat race of modern life I would never get to see my cousin's kids grow up. Which is important to me, as I don't like being around children (they make me nervous as my friend's baby died of MS) but I do like to watch from afar. Plus my friends all have terrible SOH so I get constant laughs on there (and of course WA with my besties).

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Mine turned into people that I barely remember much less care about spouting their ideologies and sharing political memes alongside posting photos that try to convey just how awesome their life is.

I starting removing people, but then realised that everyone left I would prefer to stay in touch with through alternate means anyway.

6. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

This perfectly mirrors basically every customer's experience that I've encouraged to migrate away from BT. Instant savings.

The email accounts never actually get turned off - I have many ex-BT customers and have never heard of an email account being unplugged. I can intuit why. If they leave it open, you may one day return out of a sense of loyalty, obligation or goodwill. If they kill the account you will 100% definitely never return.

As you say, though, it's fairly trivial with a decent email client to just IMAP migrate all the contents to another email provider. And BT's email service is shite.

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I switched to Talktalk. Actos in about 5 days, so a nice treat when I get home.

I signed up for BT back when I was in my old flat because nobody else could fit the line my wife had removed (biyatch). Any way, I wanted a new freeview recorder so I opted for their £48 a month plan where I get the "free" recorder. I didn't even watch the TV I was paying for which was £15 a month. The TV box contract ended so I requested they cut my bill by the £15 a month. They got all petulant and made me send the box back. I was effing furious about that. Talktalk and others don't do that. I would have been better off not getting their shite TV pack and just buying a recorder for £150 !

That was it for me. It did bring the bill down to £34, but I was "only" on 48mb. Oh, and they pulled a rotten trick too when I moved in saying there was no fibre (when there was) so I had to go on copper for the same price for two months. Then all of a sudden they have fitted fibre and I had to sign a new contract to switch. Crafty buggers.

I've now signed up for Talktalk on the 67mb or whatever it is. It's about £32 a month with the unlimited calls etc (I use my house phone a lot), yet it's 20mb faster. A service BT want £55 for.

I know a lot of people don't like TT, but as long as you know your way around a router and don't need to rely on their customer service (which is crap) then it's an otherwise excellent service for a unbeatable price.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm paying BT £20.50 a month for line rental and unlimited 60/20 (gets about 74/20 on a good day) FTTC. When it asked me if I wanted to renew for another 18 months, you better believe I said yes!

In other awesome news, Uber Eats screwed up and delivered "Ella's" order to my neighbour. Didn't hang around for him to answer the door. We rang for him, but they couldn't send the driver back and told him to keep the food - but he doesn't like spicy stuff.

So, free Big Mama Burger, eight chilli cheese bites, half a peri-peri chicken, spicy rice, and chips from Frankie's for us. Score!

9. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I wish we had an alternative to Virgin here. I mean a viable one, we can get BT, Sky, TT, and the rest, but as they all come over the phone line and the exchange is around 2 miles away, BT's "superfast" expected maximum speed for us around 4 to 8Mbps... We get a 30 day average of 108Mbps through Virgin (at least according to the Google mesh routers), but we have been with them so long now that the price ain't exactly low, but we have no alternative to "threaten" them with.

Thankfully there is a load of new fibre being laid in the area, had a chat with one of the guys putting it in and it is proper extensive fibre, not just a bit here and there to link up the major nodes, so fingers crossed we may be able to get something that we can at least bargain with.

10. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

They don't know that, lie to them!

I mean, what are they gonna do, put the price up for fibbing?

11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I'm sticking with Sky FTTC as I'm out of contract at the moment.
    I'll reconsider when OpenReach finish furtling round with inspecting & clearing every inch of their ductwork & poles in town, and begin "blowing in" FTTP.

12. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I'm with PureBroadband who run on the OFNL network. 120/20Mbps for £36 a month. No issues other than a planned early morning maintenance which affected things for all of 30 minutes.

13. Mr_Mistoffelees

We're on 20/4.3Mbps with Plusnet and FTTP is supposed to be on the way but, likely years away.

There are numerous upsides to living in the countryside here and not very good BB is the only downside. Not enough to spoil it.:grin:

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I hear Musk's Starlink now covers most of the UK. Pricey though.

15. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

We've been on Vodafone fibre for a while now, £45 for 500/500 but they'll do 900/900 for £50, if I recall correctly.

My biggest gripe is that they ran the fibre overhead like a traditional phone line, and didn't bury it like I would have expected?

16. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

Dependent on where you live it can be more cost effective to string up a couple of poles that to dig up miles of road to get the fibre in. Usually rural areas get that, not sure if that applies to you.

17. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

The extremely residential Bournemouth. No doubt it was to save cost but I'm surprised it was allowed, it's a lot of extra street furniture, and they had to dig up all the pavements to get the services in for their cabinets.

As it stands, we're the only people on the pole so it goes 4m up in the air, 2m across to the house then 4m back down to ground level :eyebrow:

18. Mr_Mistoffelees

Muskylink just costs too much. The Independant say Ookla tests have yielded 11 to 60Mbps, so it could actually be slower.

19. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

It's not meant to compete with a viable fixed line service.

If your next best option is 2mbit DSL or even less, the price probably isn't that much a factor.

That's interesting on the speed though - I cancelled my preorder but would have been mighty disappointed with 11mbit. I'm sure the speeds will improve massively once satellite density is increased, but that could be years (and will no doubt be coupled with a customer density increase)

20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I miss English internet and it's pricing.

I pay more here in Germany for less. Its still fine, but it's kind of depressing.