1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Games Workshop

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by [ZiiP] NaloaC, 17 Jan 2011.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

It might dry the paint out eventually, but I've no long term evidence one way or the other.

Unrelated, if you ever fancy doing a Darth Talon model? Be prepared to paint a lot of tattoos. Damn is she covered in 'em.

2. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

Sorry for the lack of Progress reports, it appears Amazon have an inability to get Paint to me, so at the moment the Porp and the Reavers are both sitting around waiting for paint, as parts have to go different colours, im spray basecoating it before final assembly, so progress has been somewhat stalled out. ive got the Red midcoat, but no Black, white silver or Primer....

well... assembly progress anyways... the printer has now been turned to other Prints ( and a new cooling setup for the Ender 3 so i can use a bigger and better cooling fan which should improve print quality, once thats installed im starting the process of re-printing the warlord armour, in both Imperial and Chaos variants because im a mad man

Edit ordered from Wayland games, as they had it in stock, till they had my money, and now they magically DONT have it in stock, Nor do they have Wraithbone spray in stock EITHER

Last edited: 8 Mar 2021
  3. liratheal

I hate stores that do that "Yeah it's totally in stock. LOLNOITISNT" crap. Intensely frustrating.

4. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

"IN STOCK, BUY NOW!!!*"......

*ships in 3 to 5 months.

5. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Hot damn that new Be'Lakor model!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Almightyrastus likes this.
  6. liratheal

Yeah, that is a cool model.

Although holy hell will that take a lot to paint.

7. Almightyrastus

Finally managed to pick one of these fellas up. Been a nice model to paint so far, just need to finish the goblin off and neaten up a few bits here and there and he's good to go.

[​IMG]

8. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

I painted up one of them last year, lovely model. Though I do need to go back over it at some point, I completely missed the bad moon on the back of his hand.

9. Almightyrastus

Yeah I only noticed that when I looked at GW's painted example. I would have normally spotted it, but I had to undercoat this guy with black as I have currently run out of my favourite Halfords grey primer. Whilst black makes for a very solid base, it can hide some things that grey makes stand out. Mould lines are the big pain in the cunninglinguals for this.

10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

11. liratheal

God knows why but I'm thinking about painting up some catachans for some reason.

12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

DO IT.

13. liratheal

Is this payback for the encouraging of the Lego Rex?

Incidentally, I roughed out how I want my display shelf to look for the Templars. At GW prices, a cool 600+ notes.

..Which, of course, I have no intention of paying. I need eight floor tiles, and 150 wall "points". At GW pricing you can get four tiles for 55€, so there's 110 to start. The walls are the killer, though. You get eighteen "points" (I reasoned that each single wall segment counts as a 'point' for working out how many I need), and to make a display piece I need 150 points, roughly. Which is about nine wall packs (well.. 8.33 - But that assumes using all the doors, which.. No) from GW. Which are 65€ a piece.

I dug up some models for 3D printing a long time ago - Which seemed ideal now that I have a printer. But printing a long span of wall is ~30 hours in Anycubic grey. Which also won't do, as a "long" span is 3 points. Which would mean just printing those would take 63 days, assuming a constant print speed and perfect timing, so.. call it 70. Which is hilarious. And doesn't allow for much variation, which.. Also no.

Sooo now I've chopped some of the more appealing wall pieces, as I only really need one facing of the wall pieces, and some of the ruined parts so I can print as little as possible, make some moulds and just cast an absolute arseload of half-walls in relatively short order. All in all, probably about 200€ instead of over 600.

While pondering this conundrum, I also look at Catachans. I want to paint up Iron Hand, because he's a cool SOB. Some Heavy Weapon squads, because big guns never tire, and a Leman Russ because tanks are cool. Buuut, I want to make the Leman Russ more.. Jungle-y. What little I know of jungle-based tank warfare, the most successful tanks were the more agile tanks, and the ol' Russ does not look agile. I found someone who cut up someone elses model for the recessed side sponsons - I immediately downloaded those. I also grabbed some track guard models, but I'm not sure about those yet..

I kind of wanted some of the Death Korps of Krieg doodads that go on the back, I have vague recollections of them being for trench crossings? I can't remember, and nor can I find what I mean for sale.

I also need to ponder a dozer blade. I'm not sure if those are useful in jungle-based tank warfare, but.. They look cool and the first rule of GW seems to be 'cool', so..

Edit: Found the DKK things, although definitely not how I meant to. Regardless, the files are down.

I also can't find a dozer blade that really fills me with happy feelings, so I guess I need to try and make one myself.

Edit 2: Feeling better about this one so far;

[​IMG]

Loosely basing it on the M1X8B2 mine plough;

[​IMG]

Part of me really wants to add those .. Outrigger? Skid things because they look cool, but I'm at odds with the desire to make the tank look more suitable for jungle warfare than the standard Russ does...

Last edited: 13 Mar 2021
    Almightyrastus and Pete J like this.
  14. lilgoth89

[​IMG]
    Decided to let the printer stretch its legs again

15. liratheal

I can only presume he was promoted for his stout moustache.

16. Almightyrastus

That is a fine quality Kaiser-stache it must be said.

/*edit*/ - some thoughts on jungle warfare type tank additions

The Leman Russ and Sherman tanks aren't too different and the jungle Shermans seemed to go with one of two extremes. Either really slimmed down on external additions, so no machine guns, additional stowage, and so on, or the other way and equipped with things like hatch mount .50 machine guns, huge searchlights, fording snorkels, Russian style logs for getting out of mud, and so on.

I think I would lean towards a mixture of the two and consider removing the sponsons, adding a co-axial gun to the main cannon, putting a heavy flamer in the hull mount, big searchlight on the top of the mantlet (linked into the movement of the main gun), camo netting, logs, stowage (GW did loads of individual rucksacks and other stowage bits in the past, should be easy enough to find some models of those kicking about).

As for the dozer blade, GW have dome some pretty good variations depending on the intended final use, and I think that is the thing to do, work out what you want it to do and design to that. For example, they have the big old siege shield on the Vindicator, definitely an additional armour measure, then there is the simple row of spikes on the front, more for clearing wire. Your idea is definitely more along the lines of mine clearance, ie dig things up and move them to the side. I think I'd be more inclined to go with something that look like it could work for brush clearance and pushing trees over.

Last edited: 16 Mar 2021
    liratheal likes this.
  17. lilgoth89

[​IMG]

Size Comparison

[​IMG]
    New sentinel ( i may or may not have just printed 8 of these )

liratheal and Almightyrastus like this.
  18. Almightyrastus

Nice, always liked the current Sentinel design. Forge World did some great mods for them like the loader and the big over the "shoulder" rocket pod. Kinda liked the lightweight drop troops version too with the jump jets on them, they always seemed like a fun idea. Always fancied doing a low profile version too with the hips mounted higher up the body.

19. liratheal

Yeah, I looked into land clearing ploughs/tools, and a lot of them are much more bland than I'd like - Either a regular curved plough or what looks like an angry comb on its side, or even worse, those ones that farmers tend to drag behind the tractor.

That's where I started compromising and leaning towards 'cool' rather than '100% accurate.

FWIW, these are the recessed sponsons;

[​IMG]

So basically they pull right into the body instead of sticking out like the standard ones.

Whatever mods I make I need to make sure it's tabletop legal, since it'd end up on ebay after completion like a lot of my warhammer stuff does these days.

[ZiiP] NaloaC likes this.
  20. satisfiedwimp

satisfiedwimp Minimodder

I was pretty convince that it would be him being the 9th and this certainly helps.

The case before hand was already strong:
    undivided chaos makes sense
    the description of a power searching a champion
    he is probably the best know undivided chaos daemon

and now add to that, that GW just made a new model for him.