1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Valheim (Early Access)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Hex, 19 Feb 2021.

1. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

I figure we should really get a thread about this one!

Valheim's currently out in Early Access, though it's got a LOT for you to do already. It's not a bare-bones EA experience by any means!

BLURB:

Welcome to Valheim!

The valkyries have ferried your soul to the tenth Norse world as a custodian, where you must adventure to the ends of the realm, from the deepest forest to the highest mountain peak, slaying beasts of myth and legend feared by Odin himself. You will craft powerful weapons, build unyielding castles, and sail longships towards the horizon to prove yourself to the Allfather, and certainly die trying!

The worlds are procedural, craft to survive, fight bosses, co-op with friends, dedicated servers, level up your woodcutting... VIKINGS! I think this about sums it up! It's a lot like a Viking Minecraft with dashes of Old School RuneScape and Rust.

The building is incredibly addictive, you don't lose resources if you decide to take something down and change it. So you'll be trying to build the best Viking village you can! I'm loving this game even though I'm playing it solo, definitely fun with friends though.

site | steam | twitter | discord | youtube | bug tracker | reddit | facebook

Mr Happy likes this.
  2. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Been playing this too, solo and with a few friends. I'm enjoying it, though less so than how much the hype would suggest I should be.

Agreed on the building, being able to tear down stuff without being penalised it great, especially if the building doesn't snap to the correct place, or it's a bit janky. I like that you should have a smoke escape on your house too.

I'm not a massive fan of the art style, I don't think it's bad, because I can appreciate it, but it's not really to my taste. The lighting and environment is very cool though. Was running through a forest earlier moaning about the fog because I could see FA when I got to a ridge and got a foggy forest view with a sunrise hiding in the fog. Looked cool.

Music is nice. Left that on all the time.

Sailing is sloooooooooooow. Especially the raft. I was hoping my fellow vikings would be able to row, but they can't. At least not that I've seen.

Hex and Mr Happy like this.
  3. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

I have been watching this. Not 100% sure at the moment

Hex likes this.
  4. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

I think maybe the best endorsement of this game I can give at the moment is:

I have a friend, a streamer, who quits games when they do anything he deems as screwing him over. Sometimes justified, often not :hehe: The stream before last he died in an area he was going to really struggle to get back to. He had to end his stream (IRL stuff) before fixing it and knew he'd start the next full of salt. Started the next stream, got stuff back, went on an adventure to the swamp annnd his boat exploded for some unknown reason while he was roaming around. Came back to all his stuff at the bottom of the water, unable to reach it. He spent aaaaages building a ramp and a log to "dive" off. Jumping from a height that allowed him to quickly grab his precious cargo from the depths. Then his boat re-appeared again :eyebrow: and he. Kept. On. Playing. This is almost unheard of for him. He is loving the game that much he was able to just take the salt and swallow it for a while I'm suitably impressed! :lol:

I think for the EA price tag at the moment it is 100% worth it. They've now sold over 3 million copies :jawdrop: It's phenomenal really, so happy for them!

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

For an early access game, I thought it was pretty bug free surprisingly. I can't think of a bug I've encountered actually, unlike Mass Effect Andromeda which I've also been playing recently.

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It looks like the kind of game I could sink many hours into. My other half is doing exactly that, but I haven't jumped in yet - despite the fact that I spent a Saturday morning setting up a dedicated server for her and one of her work colleagues....

Hex likes this.
  7. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I jumped into the game to play a little earlier this afternoon.
    It seems okay... nothing about it stands out as overly excellent, but for a relatively cheap game it's fun enough to jump in and play every now and then.

8. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I've been getting involved with this in the last couple of days, and am really enjoying it. Solid mechanics, base building really good, and a really varied world. Stuff like needing chimneys in your base to prevent getting smoked out is super clever, leaves loads of scope of experimentation and quite funny to learn the hard way.

Mr Happy and Hex like this.
  9. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

This came onto my radar recently via Let's Game It Out. Not sure I have the stomach for another HD Minecraft (I played Ark and that was enough for me) but Josh does a good job of finding the limits of the game's tech. Edit - I should forewarn, if you're really into the game right now you probably shouldn't watch Josh's video, because he tends to 'spoil' sandboxy games (insofar as they can be spoilt) by mashing through all the available content and mechanics.

Dr. Coin likes this.
  10. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

I love the Let's Game it Out videos but can only watch one or two in a row as they get a bit samey. but yes, I love that he breaks the games... Watching him play The Sims with Keanu McDemshoulders was one of the funniest things I'd seen committed to YT!

I Abducted My Entire Neighborhood in The Sims 4 - YouTube

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

You don't have to worry about that with Valheim, it ain't a grossly tedious slog in a half barren sandbox unlike most of the "games" in the early access survival genre.
    The survival elements are pretty forgiving, so you can actually get stuff done without having to eat a whole cow every three steps.

Hex and boiled_elephant like this.
  12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'm on the fence with this one - I haven't gotten very far, so maybe I need to give it more time. I havent summoned the first boss yet - been focussing on upgrading armour and weapons first, but I dont know where to get bones to upgrade leather armour, so I haven't touched it for a week or so.

Some processes are really intuitive, but others just seem vague and awkward.

13. julianmartin

First boss should probably be on your radar prior to getting bones, I reckon. The difficulty curve is quite well navigated in this game.

14. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Gah this game has absolutely ruined my life last couple of weeks. 2 weekenders where I've done 16 odd hours each weekend. My fiancé hates this game.

I play with a friend and solo some bits, I'm about ready to summon bonemass, have upgraded iron gear.

Hex likes this.
  15. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Started playing this and really enjoying it feels a bit minecraft'y to me.

Sounds a good excuse for a bit-tech server if we had enough interest :)

16. julianmartin

I'm keen!

17. satisfiedwimp

satisfiedwimp Minimodder

Right now the relatively poor performance of the game seems to cause some dizziness to my friend after a long session. It could also due to he's being a bit under the weather, though.
    Otherwise it's a very refreshing style of survival game, great to play with friends.

18. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Can always join if you like we currently have a small 10man and looking for people to come help. DM me for password.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Mar 2021
  19. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

Just picked this up last week. Damb time gets away from you in this game, reminds me of vanilla wow mixed with Minecraft, been playing on a dedicated server with just me and a friend. The grind is real with this one. Enjoying it tho, been a while since I had fun playing a new game, watch dogs and cyberpunk being AAA titles were such a let down at launch and unplayable for me and i just haven't went back to them. There is so much right with this little game that you can easily forgive any small issues, well done to their dev team

20. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

what's progression like on the server? I can donate fully upgraded bronze sets to people if they don't fancy farming metric tons of copper and tin :D I'll dm you for pw