1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

@Byron C my PC has been like this since new, passes all testing, could play games (mostly) fine but could just BSOD or lock up completely, depending on it's mood. The only thing I found that pretty much stopped it was to manually overvolt everything in the BIOS. No idea why it needed that or what component doesn't work at stock voltage but at least I've got it 99% stable now (up from not-a-lot%) and it'll do until I can upgrade it all.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Then I would say the CPU could be at fault. I've had rigs with bad RAM, and if you just run small FFT it shouldn't crash.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

My Dymo Labelwriter has decided that it doesn't want to print anything any more, a week after I spend £15 on a bunch of new labels!! It just spits out a blank label each time.

"check the sensing cable" not a problem
    "clean the label sensor" done that, six times already.

Arse.

4. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Partner just messaged me from work, asked her boss if he'd got the PCR covid test results back that week (She works in care)

"Yeah Tuesday, I haven't checked them though I'm sure you're all fine you've all done your LFT"

Explained to her the whole point of the PCR, the effectiveness of LFT and the fact he can go for 15 *** breaks per day but not check those results... He needs to do it and do it now!

I honestly can't comprehend somebody this thick is in charge of vulnerable elderly clients... Did I mention the last time he "forgot" to check the PCR results two care staff had tested positive?

Probably too busy planning his house party on Saturday.... I'm not even kidding :duh::duh::duh::duh::duh::duh::duh:

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I have a 16gb kit knocking about I can send you? I've literally no use for it, after all. Not the fastest, but might be useful for testing.

I also noticed recently that if I push the all core clock to 4.1ghz rather than 4.025 it does exactly what you're experiencing there - random, nonsensical reboots despite stability in all other stress testing.

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Well it turns out I was running 'Smallest FFTs' in Prime95, but 'Small FFTs' is actually the real torture test. Crashed repeatedly while running Small FFTs this morning and I was seeing errors in the Prime95 worker log window, so I'd say that safely narrows it down to the CPU...

Think I'm gonna just RMA the damn thing. I've been buggering about with BIOS settings, Ryzen Master, Ryzen Clock Tuner, and Dragon Centre (that UI makes me gag) and I can't get it stable... I only bought the damn thing at the end of Jan and it's been unstable since day 1.

Thanks man, but I'm going to pick up some RAM from a friend soon, so no need to go out of your way :). It's going in the other half's new PC, but the rest of her parts are a while away yet so it'll be useful for me to test with in the mean time. I can't be 100% certain, but my RAM seems fine anyway...

liratheal and adidan like this.
  7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I had a bit of a look around online and it seems a few others have had to rma their cpus.

It is an odd one. Infuriatingly odd.

8. Vault-Tec

I've not used it in a while but yes, that is how you test just the CPU alone. It was how I used to show I actually had bad RAM and it was that causing system instability.

And yeah, I've heard that AMD CPUs can be faulty too. A new phenomena really, especially when you are so used to never having a dud one. I guess it's part of the design. Seen a few 3000 series basically clock themselves to death, then not be able to run at stock clocks.

9. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

11. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm wicked smaht.

I split the Pihole and Unifi controller, as I need to VLAN off the Piholes so I can change the way I force all DNS traffic through the Pihole.

While I was at it, I changed some static IP addresses, because I was getting cramped and I like same-services to be sequential at home.

Of course, restoring the Unifi Controller backup to a new controller had the old DNS ip addresses in DHCP. So when the Pihole rebooted and stopped responding, poof goes the internet.

The wicked smaht part, though, is that I looked at the ipconfig/all result with the old DNS and thought "Well, that looks right, I don't know what's going on here..". Cue a bunch of faffing around with json files, yay unifi, firewall rules, and so on.

Oh well. Sorted now.

And I did learn a bit more about Debian in the process, so.. I guess that's good?

14. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Daughter got jabbed yesterday, and has spent all night and day so far, feeling like poop and barfing.

15. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Back to work today after 2 weeks off. Man I don't want to get up. :waah:

16. Vault-Tec

Lasted about three days for me. Did cause me stomach problems too. Last two days I've been totally back to normal. Been doing some restoring on bike parts too, so I guess that means normal.

I am pretty sure that comment about having Covid before has something to do with it all.

17. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Heavy handed government Covid legislation....

18. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Filling in the census for the nosy gits at the ONS.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Drove me crackers. "Job title". Err, technology journalist, I guess. "What do you do in your job?" Err... Technology... journalism?

Not to mention the wife having to fill out the employment section for her previous job... despite not having worked there for coming up to ten years now.

20. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Damn the census form - I keep forgetting we have to do that, and I keep remembering the envelope saying on it "it is a legal requirement to fill this out" or similar words. Must get that form filled out!

Last edited: 15 Mar 2021