1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Watch aficionados in here...

Discussion in 'General' started by Pete J, 3 Mar 2019.

1. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

What you have there is what's known as an "integrated bracelet", where the end links are part of the case. This makes replacing the strap quite difficult as it a non-standard size.

If you can flip it over and upload a photo there might be something to work with but I expect you won't have any real options other than a custom leather strap?

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

^What he said.

There is an alternative, which I expect you to say no to, but it's a solution my Grandfather (rest his soul) used: wear your watch over a wrist bandana!

3. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

[​IMG]

That's the second pic from @legoman 's post - any help?

ElThomsono likes this.
  4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

How did I miss that, yes it's very helpful thanks!

Unfortunately it confirms that you're pretty out of luck. If you like, look into how NATO straps work, you could cut two indents into one and fit it around the narrow pins you have? A decent heat sealing with a lighter of soldering iron could make for a passable solution?

5. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I was thinking I put both sides up, I may see if about that, like I said I like the watch an I'm getting fed up of smart watches so thought this would be ideal but wearing it for a couple of days it keeps snagging on my wrist hairs (joys of Southern French ancestry). Maybe I'll just laser said hair off :lol:

6. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Get the measurements and compare to the size of the custom straps you can get for Oris as they also use a similar fixing method. You can usually find a lot on Etsy and a few on eBay, they're not cheap though. It's also possible one of the artisans on Etsy will make a custom one for you but again it won't be cheap and I'd guess a starting price of around £100.

Alternatively buy a cheap strap from WatchGecko and have a go at modding it.

7. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

What's the daddy in the smart watch world nowadays (non apple)?

I thinking of seeing what comes up on amazon prime day, with an eye maybe on the Galaxy watch 3 or Huawei GT2...

8. Ajbod

Ajbod Minimodder

Last edited: 14 Oct 2020
  9. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

[​IMG]

From left to right...

CK - ETA2824-2 A guess a dress watch but I don't really wear it, I bought it as I got it for about £110 which is less than I could buy a genuine ETA 2824-2 movement for, and that's what it has inside. Worn it maybe twice.
    Breitling Navitimer World 2014 - I have this on a blue croc strap but I also have the steel bracelet for it (I bought the steel bracelet from the Breitling shop for £850 and have never worn it as it's so shiny and I don't want to scratch it haha)
    Deep Blue Master Chrono - Valjoux 7750 - this I wear most days, I love love love it.
    Heimdallr MM300 - ETA2824-2 - I think this has a cloned movement in it, which is why I bought the CK, as when it stops ticking I will get a watch maker to put the CK one in it. Amazing watch though, monoblock case, I wear it a lot. has a rubber strap and also has the diving adjust on the strap.
    Seiko SKX007 - 6R15 movement - this is heavily modified, I think really only the case is original, have engineer strap (strapcode), old school domed sapphire which is the bluest sapphire I have and I love that, ceramic bezel, has a face from a different seiko in it. Oh - original hands too! the Lume stinks!

I wear the seikos and the deep blue the most. I wish the SK had a high beat movement, I don't really like 21600 on the seikos.

I am waiting for a Paul Dupuis DMS|001 which looks a bit like a Richard Mille (but 100th of the price :D ), I got on the kickstarter so you can't buy them for a while yet. has selitta SW-200 movement in it, really excited for it's arrival, is made of damascus steel and has 3 sapphires (one is the dial, rear case and front).

10. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

That's an interesting collection, I love the idea of the Navitimer but I think the reality is just on the wrong side of practical. And I wore a Deep Blue Master 2000 for years, the size you get used to very quickly then it's a pleasure to have on the wrist.

11. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

Where do people go to get batteries replaced or general servicing in the UK?

I have a TAG that needs a new battery and I'm hoping to find somewhere that is respected but doesn't charge what feels an extra premium markup to the official servicing. Do I have alternatives?

Equally I have an old Seiko SKA267 with some sentimental value that no longer charges and needs a good service. Hoping I can get both fixed :thumb:

Any recommendations?

12. Margo Baggins

Do you know what, I think I agree. it's apparently 30m water resistant.... but I would never show it any water for fear of it breaking. The sapphire is MASSIVE. though the workmanship and the finish are supreme (and a tasty 800 quid of servicing every 4 years). you can feel it even just manually winding it. I like the seiko divers and the deep blue because they are rough and ready and feel like they would be ok doing anything. I just wish I could say that about the breitling.

I often only wear the breitling when I'm going to sales meetings so I can fit in :) I am a list for a Rolex but I think I'm going to come off it, as I really don't like them. It would be an investment or instant flip though which is the only reason I think I want to stay on. I want an AP Royal Oak, not offshore, and if I flip a GMT Master II I'm much closer to realising that dream!

also on the Deep Blue - I paid 600 quid for mine, and I would pay it every day. It doesn't look or feel like a 600 quid watch, the finish on it is really great. 500-600 seems to be abour right for a cheap 7750 watch, and it doesn't feel like a cheap watch.

Last edited: 15 Mar 2021
  13. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Noice little collection Matt. I'm a Breitling man for my day to day wear, this SuperOcean is indestructible and the genuine rubber straps are "only" £60 to replace when I inevitably catch them on something whilst reaching around in dark places :worried: Plus don't care too much if it gets little surface scratches, it's dead easy to polish out:

[​IMG]

Pictured with the Cougar for old times' sake :lol:

For a TAG or Seiko just take them to your nearest indy watch place - models like these are bread & butter for them to work on. If you don't care about deep sea diving you can probably do the TAG battery at home, but get it pressure tested before jumping off a boat...

14. Margo Baggins

Do you like the super ocean? I think it's awesome watch. I kept nearly buying one last year and talking myself out of it. I really really like the super ocean. I like the chrono heritage one as well especially as they do a 46. I really like the one with more yellow on the face and a blue rubber strap. Gah I always knew you were a legend!

Your keyboard <3 wow what a looker.

15. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I love the SuperOcean. It's great for when I descend into deep undersea trenches in my bathysphere...

I was looking for a watch that was relatively cool and unusual, but that I could wear every day working a busy job that's a mixture of getting my hands dirty and high-level meetings. I was wearing a Seiko Flightmaster homage before but it didn't feel like it would last on my clumsy arm.

16. Margo Baggins

I love the flighty! the best Quartz watch going I reckon :D You can still get one for about 200 quid but I reckon those days are numbered.

17. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Seeing this thread again has reminded me I've not worn any of my "proper" watches once since getting an apple watch 15 months ago, which I have mixed feelings about :/

18. Margo Baggins

haha you monster.

My Fiancé bought me one christmas before last and I wore it for 2 days and then put a mechanical watch back on. she was livid for most of last year about it (I'm not even joking)

19. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Conversely, I'm not sure my wife has worn her proper watch once since getting an apple watch of her own in September.

20. Margo Baggins

I had to sell mine and use the proceeds to buy one for her, she wears it every day and it's rose gold, only then was I no longer in trouble. It's the charging and millions of features I don't use. I barely use apps on my phone as it is, I don't know why I need an extension of the phone on my wrist, I try my hardest to miss calls, all sounds like I'd be trapped :D Wow how old do I sound.