1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure this was tongue-in-cheek... I think?

But anyway - the wireless sub kit wasn't actually bought for the same run as the rest of the wires (the 6.0mm is for the fronts, and I could use the same path) - but for another sub on another system where running wires is totally impossible. I coincidentally got it on the same day as the speaker and HDMI cables, which reminded me that I didn't order a pair of 15M subwoofer cables so figured I would use it.

Having tried it out - no down sides so far, so might just carry on using it and pick up another for the other run.

2. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

how much is the wireless sub kit, and what does it give you as inputs and outputs? And you think it works well? I have a new sub in my home cinema and It can be in much better positions but currently limited by the wires.

3. Mister_Tad

The SVS one is £115. There are some that are cheaper, and some that are more. I got this one because...
    A) I have two subs, and this is stereo unlike some other wireless sub kits
    B) It's SVS - as are my subs, but more to the point I trust it to work, and work well, unlike a random ALLCAPSBRANDCO one from Amazon.

And it does just work. May as well be a cable.

Paired out of the box, but I re-paired it just for my own curiosity and it just connects and job done. There's little transmit and receive boxes, USB powered and a minijack and pairing button on each, nowt else. No problems with signal but never expected there would be as the transmit and receive are only around 8m apart (though there's a solid oak door between them as well).

In terms of drawbacks
    - it's 25ms latency - no issues with an AVR that will detect and compensate with video (mine pegged the subs at 9m away and they're more like 3, which makes sense). With games, I can't say I can tell or would ever be able to with low frequencies... might be an issue with full-range though.

- It's 2.4ghz, and this is probably the thing that will lead me to replace it with cables (if I do at all) rather than the latency. As a best practice if something can be wired, I like to wire it - particularly with 2.4ghz.

4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Mister Tad buying cheap...

Something doesn't seem quite right.:worried:

IanW, lancer778544 and adidan like this.
  5. legoman

legoman breaker of things

[​IMG]

32Gb of Der Der Rrrr Feer for build refresh

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I always go for Dee Dee Errrr Faw

7. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Bought to replace the 120mm AIO the system came with*:

[​IMG]

Slapped my existing ML120's on it and it keeps the 3950X around 7 degrees cooler with a much quieter fan profile whilst full tilt in CB R20 with PBO. Interestingly this is only 1 degree warmer than a Noctua NH-D14 but I simply prefer the looks of an AIO.

Not bad for £67.

*System came with a R5 3600 which now resides in my wife's machine. Overall spec was as a perfect candidate to just add my CPU and extra RAM to. Thought the cooler might be ok for normal use but a combination of noisy pump and fan (at least to me coming from the near silent H1) meant I had to replace it asap.

8. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

Finally had to say goodbye to my old Cherry G80-3000 after 15 years as it was 'too noisy' I'm told by SWMBO.

So I got a Cherry MX Board instead with reds rather than blues, nice and quiet! The backlight is also so bright that Blackpool council sent me a cease and desist :lol:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That's what I got. Same CPU as you. Does the job fine, without paying £50 for bling I didn't want.

10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Bought a cheap red frame (2004) for some parts I may have had lying around..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's the good thing about hoarding :D

Needed a few small parts (£30 tops)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

xaser04 likes this.
  11. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Yep, only negative I can think of right now is the lack of pump control. From what I can see the higher tier models have this but the H100x does not. No real Biggy as I can't hear it when using the PC normally (I can hear it if I literally sit still and don't interact with the PC at all). Also the SATA power cable was quite short which limited cable routing in my case *rant mode* (on that note, why is having a tempered glass rear panel even a thing on a "normal" case?! This one has bloody metal plates covering the cables anywhere meaning you can't see a damn thing anyway!).

*/rant mode*

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  12. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I'm so heavy handed that I make the loudest noises with reds as I bottom them all out! I like browns and tactiles, blues I find too light, but I have a keyboard with greens on and I quite like the greens - in fact, when I used the greens I liked them too much and had to stop using them as I have 10's of other keyboards all browns/linears and I didn't want to have to re-switch them all with greens haha

trigger likes this.
  13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

A handful of Premium Bonds, 'cos my savings account's going from an already-disappointing 0.5 percent PA to 0.4 percent.

Now I get to play the Lottery every single month! Just, y'know, with considerably worse odds. And a maximum prize of £1 million. But at least I get to keep the cost of the ticket when I inevitably don't win!

trigger likes this.
  14. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Good luck, but I strongly suspect your return will be lower than that 0.4% p.a. from your savings account!

goldstar0011 likes this.
  15. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I put my savings in premium bonds and won £75 last year but is way more than I woul don the interest rate

16. Mister_Tad

AC Infinity Cloudline T8 inline fan & control + some rubber mounts

[​IMG]

200mm x 6m Phonic Trap acoustic ducting and a couple of duct clips

[​IMG]

200mm grille and back box

[​IMG]

And probably a place on a list with the local police considering the most of the suppliers for this stuff are in the "horticultural supplies" business, and I'm not talking about tomatoes

17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Moneysavingexpert has a calculator so you can estimate what your returns would be :)

18. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yup. Average (mean) return is 1% iirc but the distribution of returns has a significant rightward skew!

19. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeah, I can't remember the exact amount, but at £50k it was £450 a year IIRC

20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

If that were true, I wouldn't do it. As @Bloody_Pete says, there's an odds calculator. As a higher-rate taxpayer (hopefully, haven't been adding up my profit for the last financial year), there's a 3.3 percent chance that a 0.5 percent savings account (which my Marcus account currently is, dropping to 0.4 percent in April) would earn me more than putting the same amount into Premium Bonds.

In other words, the money I've put in Premium Bonds is 96.7 percent likely to outperform my savings account, and at no risk to capital. I like those odds.

Plus, I might win the top prize of a million pounds!

(At odds of 1 in 288,518. Which, hey, is significantly better than the odds of a Lottery jackpot, and I don't lose the money I spent on the ticket!)

'course, it's also 88 percent likely to lose me money in real-terms when compared against the Retail Price Index - but my savings account is 100 percent likely to do the same, so there's hope.

EDIT: The odds to outperform my savings account go down to 89.6 percent if I don't make the higher-rate taxpayer threshold this year, which is still pretty good.

Last edited: 17 Mar 2021