1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Watch aficionados in here...

Discussion in 'General' started by Pete J, 3 Mar 2019.

1. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

I had a Super Ocean Chrono as my daily watch for almost a decade. Agree on them being pretty much indestructible. It got bashed around, scuffed, and dropped more often than I care to think about. But, the only time it stopped working was when I got sand in the mechanism (not entirely sure how), and every time it came back from servicing it was polished up like new. My biggest complaint was that the thread holding down the crown kept stripping, then again, they kept replacing it for me. I only got rid of it after I got my Seamaster and realised I just wasn't wearing it any more.

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

It annoys me when decent watch brands decide to use fudge to make crown threads. I had two separate Tags where the crown threads stripped.

3. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

Oh dear I didn't know we had another enabler thread, lol!

I have a few nice watches and a bunch of bits and bobs watches. Like others have said though, it's a real rabbit hole and I often find myself wondering why I bother - my phone is more accurate than all of my watches (unless I get that The Citizen I've been eyeing :idea:), the technology is antiquated, needs maintenance, etc, etc. And yet still I collect!

Let's see, I have (pics lifted from interweb):

IWC Ingenieur
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nomos Minimatik
    [​IMG]

Zenith Elite
    [​IMG]

Seiko Alpinist
    [​IMG]

... pls an old King Seiko auto; an old King Seiko quartz; two cheap Citizen quartz jobbies, one for gardening, one for swimming; a Vostok Yuri Gagarin anniversary watch, and 4-5 other old Russian watches is various states of decline.

I'm very much contemplating The Citizen though which is super accurate and nicely understated, but with everything else going on there's just never quite the funds to justify it! I was hoping to see them in the flesh on a trip to Japan last year, then C-19 hit :waah:

Last edited: 16 Mar 2021
  4. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

Humm, internet is beating me today, images aren't working for some reason...

Zenith
    Seiko
    IWC
    Nomos

Scratch that, figured out the internet once more :rock:

Last edited: 16 Mar 2021
  5. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Mine gets worn more than my Citizen, I struggle with watches cluttered up with complications that I'll never use, so went old school.

6. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

That's nice, I like the 24h dial. To be honest, I'm with you on a less fussy dial, that was the biggest reason I moved from the Super Ocean Chrono to my Seamaster, the face is just so much cleaner.

7. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I have never seen that IWC before, it's really nice! I can see where Ball get a lot of their desing queues now.

I love the Zenith, I had a Zenith El Primero for a while, like a poor mans daytona (and I believe where Rolex got he movt. from for the actual daytona!)

trigger likes this.
  8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I had a colleague that had a fair few issues with his El Primero - lots of reliability and accuracy problems from what's meant to be an exemplary movement.
    The culprit? Travel and regular time changes.
    The dealer made an analogy to an F1 car's precision and performance... and fragility. The advice was to not change the time when travelling and just remember the time zone offset or wear something else... eugh.

It was always something I had fancied, but that put me off.

9. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

Oh I have one like that, it's a 24 hour Raketa, but doesn't have the world timer feature, I do enjoy 24 hour watches!

A perfect excuse for a new watch by the sounds of it! One for diving, one for racing, one for travel, etc, lol! I had been looking at the Ulysses Nardin GMT watches a while back which have the nice quick set +/- 1hr button, but really don't need more watches!

10. Margo Baggins

Can you guess why I got rid of my El Primero :D the daily swing of it meant I was forever correcting the time, forever correcting the time seemed to make it worse, the only time it kept good time was if i put it in a winder for ages and then it was the wrong time when I took it out but kept good time... I correct the time and the cycle begins again

BeauchN likes this.
  11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'm really happy to see the thread have some renewed activity!

No new watches from me* as the next ones I want to get - well, let's just say I expect to be nearer retirement age when I can easily afford them.

The SBDB015 is my daily wear and is an excellent tool watch. It has the signs of a few dings here and there, but I like that it is my wear and tear that's made it what it is. The SUN019P1 also gets worn once or twice a week to keep it running - A fun, chunky watch that has also picked up some dings. I haven't worn the SKX007P8 more than a couple of times and I want to keep it in pristine condition as Seiko have discontinued its line (as far as I know anyway) - not for selling on, just for my amusement.

I did come dangerously close to picking up an 'entry level' Grand Seiko Spring Drive a while back as I found it for 10% off, but common sense reluctantly prevailed. I was also keeping an eye on this:

[​IMG]

...but it looks like there are no new ones anymore, and I'm not really into owning second hand watches. Never mind, I'm sure a decent refresh will release in time.

* I tell a lie. I've been curious about monitoring my heart rate and calories burnt, so this is arriving tomorrow:

[​IMG]

12. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Anyone else beginning to develop a strap problem?

[​IMG]

I know I've got at least three more, somewhere. They really need to go in the wash but I keep just putting a fresh one on :worried:

13. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

This. I've a couple of nice watches which haven't seen the light of day for quite a while.

14. Margo Baggins

everything in life should be mechanical. heathans with your tech watches

Not that one, but a Spring Drive is on my list - I just love that sweep! and I really like the seikos, just not really a fan of their movements, spring drive is exception!

15. Shirty

Time for a revive! Secretly hoping it brings Margo back :clap:

My current daily is (shock, horror) a smartie:

[​IMG]
    TAG Heuer Connected 2021 Titanium

And for when I want to look more important and formal:

[​IMG]
    Tudor Black Bay GMT

The TAG was an impulse buy and is frankly ridiculous for an ultimately disposable watch, but I like it anyway.

POST MOAR WATCHES!

SuperHans123 and Pete J like this.
  16. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

@Shirty What makes the TAG "an ultimately disposable watch"?

17. Shirty

Smartwatches are like smartphones, they have a finite lifespan.

18. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Sorry, I didn’t realise it was a smart watch. I did wonder why a company like TAG might be making watches where you can’t change the battery.

19. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

A man of taste! :thumb:

20. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Tudor do some fine watches, and really high quality.
    I prefer their Prince Date Chronograph over the much revered Rolex Cosmograph Daytona.