1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Features Video: CNC Machine Unboxed!

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 20 Apr 2018.

1. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

For rigid machining (i.e. cutting metal rather than plastic/tree carcasses) this looks like it might be an interesting option. Aluminium structure/ways rather than cast iron, but that gives you half a chance of actually being able to ship it for less than the cost of the machine itself, and for hobby milling/turning rather than production, 'just do it slower' is always an option to reduce vibration.
    My main concern would be the price being too low rather than any issues with the machine itself: they mentioned on Reddit that they made their prototype on a $2000 budget, and the Kickstarter is selling it for $4700 + shipping. $2700 is a pretty small margin to work with, and they may end up struggling with business costs more than any trouble actually making the machines themselves.

2. Jimsocks

Jimsocks What's a Dremel?

I’m wondering if we can get an update on this machine and your thoughts now that you’ve had it for awhile. Pros and cons? There isn’t much information out there on the High-Z S-1000 T from users like you!

I’m thinking of picking one up, as I am not very keen on rolling the dice with a Chinese model or a scratch-built. A post from you covering your experience would be amazing!

3. zogthegreat

zogthegreat What's a Dremel?

Hi edzieba,

Do you have a link for the Reddit article that you mentioned?

Thanks!

zog

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Here.

zogthegreat likes this.
  5. zogthegreat

zogthegreat What's a Dremel?

Thanks!

6. Timstone

Timstone What's a Dremel?

Hi all!

What kind of milling motor does Alex's machine use?
    I surfed to the Dutch site for the High-Z and looked at the possible motor choices, but none look like the one on Alex's machine. From the tube about the fixture plate upgrade I could glance "... matron", but nothing more.
    Can someone help me out?

7. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Heyo, sorry for the late reply, I have email notifications turned off thanks to having to follow a lot of different threads. I'm using an 800W Mechatron air cooled spindle in my machine, although I would get a larger one if budget permits.

Timstone likes this.
  8. Timstone

Thanks for the reply!
    Kind of ruled out an (forced) air-cooled motor, but it has advantages. Maybe I should adjust my plans. :)
    It's also pretty weird there is such a gap between the three available Mechatron spindles (800 W, 4000 W, 7450 W).

9. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Oh wow is that the selection now? There used to be 1.5KW and 2.2KW when I was choosing. Heads up though, I would choose a Sorotec machine over the one I currently have, the cost is fairly similar but you get a much more rigid frame and proper supported rails.

Timstone likes this.
  10. Timstone

Thank you for the reference to the Sorotec machine, hadn't come across that one yet. I will check it out. Many thanks!

11. Timstone

I've taken a brief look at Sorotec. And I must say I really like the Alu-Line 1107 (with two spindles). Although the Alu-Line 1107 Heavy is also very attractive due to the higher stiffness of the gantry (Y-axis).
    I think you can judge far better what is required to mill Aluminium. So, if I may be so bold, which machine and options whould you choose?

Tags: Add Tags