1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia 3xxx series thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 6 Jun 2020.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Wha?! That's what you took from that post?

I paid via CC on the off chance something was off. I never claimed the credit card company could bully someone into shipping something quicker/earlier/at all.

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Exactly. If the deal is bogus then you can get your money back without undue hassle. And even if it's legit but the delivery date keeps getting pushed back then you can still pursue a refund from your CC company even if the retailer doesn't want to oblige.

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

TBH, they've not taken the money yet, so its not really a problem. It'd only be annoying because delayed mining time...

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Congratulations on misunderstanding every single word in my post.

If the shop for example promised to ship the card by 17th April and you received nothing by July you would have a perfectly legit case to get your money back via the credit card.

But since the shop isn't making any promise whatsoever to begin with then you can never claim on the credit card because it is impossible for the shop to breach their promise (as there never was a promise to begin with).

5. el2k

el2k Modder

Monday morning is going to be hilarious for Viking, the cards 3060ti/70/80 were all put up yesterday around 1pm... and they are still taking order now.

They have no stock but shipping direct from supplier, dropshipping so to speak.

I can only assume someone didn't set a stock level?

They could have had say 10 of each card but by now surely have 1000's of orders for each card.

Great stuff.

6. David

It looks like you misunderstood my post - both of them, in fact.

My point, which is fairly obvious, was that I paid by credit card in case there was some kind of masquerade or scam. Clearly unlikely, given the payment was received by Office Depot, who owns Viking. At no point did I say that I was holding them to timeframe.

Yeah, fully expecting either a cancellation email or the increasingly common baiting delay emails so they can draw things out. The transaction is still showing as pending, so they haven't taken the money yet - so cancellation seem the more likely outcome.

7. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Actually, they have to ship within 30 days unless agreed otherwise prior to sale:

https://www.gov.uk/online-and-distance-selling-for-businesses

Customers also have a right to cancel for full refund until 14 days after receipt of goods. Proviso being you have to return goods at your cost unless faulty. If they've never been dispatched you get a full refund.

If they refuse, you're covered by the credit card anyway for breach of regs.

8. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

You'd be covered mostly the same on debit card as credit card as well. Credit card only adds extra protection when section 75 comes in to play, which is extremely rare. Normal chargeback procedures which are available to both credit and debit card transactions are sufficient in all but the most unusual or extreme of circumstances and is a legal procedure, costly for both sides (retailer/acquirer and your cc provider), which is why it's rarely called upon.

9. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

you will get to try it out anyway, its such an obvious scam, maybe not from the host site but really? MSRP? not in stock? 3rd party shipping? it will never show up

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'd be very surprise if a company as big as Viking was scamming people...

11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

So an 8Gb 3070Ti and 12Gb 3080Ti due in the next couple of months then.

I can't care less, there'll either be none or overpriced. Or both.

Intel Xe HPG may get a showing in the next week or so too.

It's a shame, it's a bit like when a goal is scored then it goes to VAR - you have to wait to see if you can be excited.

12. David

Intel's GPU could be a huge success, initially at least, if it isn't terrible and is released in suitable quantities capitalising on lack of available alternatives. Am I right in thinking they licence TSMC's fabrication process but manufacture mostly in their own fabs? It could give them scope to hit the market with higher quantities of GPUs, assuming their fabs aren't completely swamped with CPU/chipset production.

13. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

No idea tbh mate but, yeah, I think anybody releasing even a potato gpu at the moment will see good sales.

Intel may just provide a nice surprise.

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

How can that apply to a speculative preorder where no date is ever promised to begin with?

Yep, as evidenced by AMD GPUs all being out of stock as well despite sucking donkey balls at Raytracing, VR and most non gaming tasks.

15. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

It just means they can't hold onto money indefinitely, where a date is not provided they have to deliver within 30 days. If they don't have stock it does nothing other than put them in breach of contract so any dispute should be quicker to resolve in favour of the customer.

Edit - this is why pre-ordered usually state a release date at time of purchase.

Viking are now saying "in stock, delivery 2-5 days" though. :hehe:

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Nice:thumb:, cause I'd have been worried they'll magically find stock a week or two after the mining boom ends when the cards will be worth a third of their current price.

17. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Looking at 3080s, they've tagged everything "temporarily out of stock" now.

18. David

I haven't looked since I placed the order - it's just a roll of dice.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  19. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

This is how I'm looking at it. Not been cancelled either though...

Last edited: 22 Mar 2021
  20. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Its showing my order as "Confirmed" on the website.

Not that it means anything, but its not cancelled. Paypal payment is still "pending" so no cash taken.

Bloody_Pete likes this.