1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Wait..we can summon MiNiMaL_FuSS with just an injection? Why did no one tell me!?

2. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

My wife has an autoimmune disease (Hashimoto's) and has had her first jab of the Pfizer vaccine. She ended up with a heavy sore arm for a bit the next day and a headache for a couple of days and that was it, nothing too scary or out of the ordinary for a vaccination.

I had a more severe reaction to my AZ vaccination, woke up the next morning feeling proper grotty, took some paracetamol and I was all clear and fine by lunch. However, having said that, the two vaccines do work differently so the side effects shouldn't really be comparable.

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Wow I haven't been in here in nearly 3 weeks. I should really come in here more often as hearing about others good fortunes does raise the spirits. But maybe that's my current mood.

After failed attempts at engaging solicitors to sue the surgeon who butchered my groin through an insurance policy (being told forgetting to do a crucial part of the procedure is a "common and recognised complication", but with a sub-text of "we don't get paid enough by the insurance for this, go speak to someone else), I had put off contacting no win no fee type people's as it was my last hope at any sort of redemption from this shitty situation (bar getting 5 minutes alone with the surgeon and a blunt rusty implement in hand). But there are time limits to these things so I'd got in touch with one and they had initially seemed positive about my case, but things had been suspiciously quiet the last couple of weeks and I had been dreading a letter dropping through the door telling me to do one. But this morning an email came, funding approved by senior partner, all systems go. I know there are no guarantees, I could still end up with nothing at the end of it, but it's something. Hope survives.

In other news a little project I've been working on should be wrapped up within the week. Much excitement.
    [​IMG]

Goatee, Arboreal and adidan like this.
  4. Almightyrastus

It works!!!!

[​IMG]

Got my old Technics kit all hooked up and working again after not using it for around 13 years. It's not all lined up and neat at the moment as I am waiting on a lead to hook up my PC to it. That should be arriving today, fingers crossed that I ordered a long enough one. Grabbed some squidgy isolation domes for the speakers as well as they are sitting on my desk.

Quick question for anyone who has used those rubbery domes under speakers, do you use 4, one under each corner, or 3 (thinking 2 front and one at the back) to prevent wobble? I have a pack of 12 on the way which would lead me to think that they are packed as 3 each for 4 speakers.

5. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

3 each seems logical. I got serious childhood nostalgia from all that Technics stuff, how much is that kind of oldschool hi-fi gear worth these days?

Almightyrastus likes this.
  6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

How do stranger.

Good luck mate, something needs to be done considering how much pain you've been through. :thumb:

As for the project, looks (literally) cool. I've heard about those things, you know that thing you have horizontally under the cpu.

Gropics card or something?!?

My other rig needs one of them, don't have a spare kidney

The_Crapman likes this.
  7. Almightyrastus

I ended up putting 4 on each speaker as the domes ended up coming in a pack of 20 so 4 each for a set of 5 speakers seemed logical. They do sound sooo much better with them. Got my PC all connected up to the aux input on the amp now and everything is working great.

As for the value on a system like this, I have seen everything from about £250 to £500 and given the condition of mine and the fact that I have the whole set including the later linear arm turntable and the upgraded speaker option, I would be edging towards the higher end of that range. Wouldn't mind getting and hooking up the surround speaker option that was available for this amp, but I have never seen a set of those speakers for sale. I don't think that many people went for them, back in the late 80s it was all about the big stereo, hence the somewhat large set of "desktop" speakers that I am now running.... (excuse the mess, in the process of sorting out my painting and EDC gear at the moment):

[​IMG]

The Creative T40s will be going elsewhere until I get everything sorted and I can have a crack at fixing them, the power board in the right hand one is known to fall over after a while and I have been running these for about 12 years now.

Fizzban and boiled_elephant like this.
  8. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Dear lord man, that desk!

It's like it was sponsored by Kershaw and grime.

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I can't stand the sight of it but I can't stop looking at it! And I thought my desk was messy :grin:

10. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

...is that an EDC toffee hammer?

11. Almightyrastus

Of course, proud hank-carrying member of the TTHAS - Tactical Toffee Hammer Appreciation Society:

[​IMG]

In the case of my recent HiFi tinkerings it was used to "persuade" a somewhat reluctant broken FM aerial pin out of it's housing, never underestimate the usefulness of a small jeweller's size hammer...

Oh, and as for the state of the desk, very much a work in progress at the moment (promise...). It was a LOT worse. Going to be picking up a cabinet for all the EDC gear so patches, knives, hanks, and other assorted shiny things will have a home. Most of the painting gear is already sorted into a cabinet under the desk. Going to be (maybe) selling off a load of the miniatures (31 years of collecting, got a LOAD of stuff that I can sell).

Last edited: 26 Mar 2021
    ElThomsono likes this.
  12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

France 23 - 27 Scotland

What a match! I was huffing and puffing like I was still playing.

13. boiled_elephant

Are...are there pictures?

Almightyrastus likes this.
  14. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

First jab of the Moderna done. Got my appointment for the second one as well.

Isitari, spolsh, IanW and 1 other person like this.
  15. Almightyrastus

Haha, thankfully no (sorry). It all used to be pretty good until I started trying to sort things out then it just became a interim dumping ground between other areas that were getting cleaned. I have managed to get some boxes for stuff sorted out so things shall be getting cleared and sorted over the weekend, kinda looking forward to having things be clear again (and wondering what I might find along the way - already found a couple of knives and a bunch of stickers that I knew I had somewhere - a couple of which will be added to the cabinet that I have yet to get...)

[​IMG]

16. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Wotchee mate Dan!

Tis very cool indeed. Really please how it all came out, especially after having a bit of a crimping disaster. Should be unveiled soon.

The geepeeyoo is one of the mythical ampere ones and is both a really nice cars and really **** at the same time. Had looks really nice but the LEDs are a bit naff and have to be reminded what colour they should be on every boot. The backplate looks really nice, but is plastic and a total heat trap. Parts of it have started to change colour from the hot components beneath. :rollingeyes: could still probably sell if for a 50% profit :hehe:

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

This

[​IMG]

Just a week or two ago I thought it was totally knackered:

@jinq-sea helpfully pointed out that the DVI ports are dual link - I was positive I'd read that the DVI ports were dual link connectors but only wired for single link!

I was kinda looking forward to the idea of having a 144Hz monitor, but the sensible grown-up voice in my head keeps telling me that there are sensible grown-up things I should be spending that money on instead...

18. boiled_elephant

Yeah ditto, I recently bought a 27" qhd from eBay and initially thought it was duff til I googled it and realised it actually required dual link. I've never been over 1080p on dvi so had no idea what the difference even was. Luckily one of my bajillions of dvi leads happened to be dual link.

Today I got bored and cheap and this happened:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still needs the edges tidying up and all sanding and treating, and braces on the legs and some kind of latching brace to hook across both pairs. But for my second wood project ever from knowing bollocks all about it, I'm rather happy so far.

Fizzban, Pete J, Isitari and 3 others like this.
  19. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I tend to enjoy those projects the most, when there is an immediate need for something and it just has to function. But now that you have a lump hammer and chainsaw I hope to see you posting more carpentry projects :thumb:

20. boiled_elephant

I don't even know where I'd post them! I guess this thread? I want to try making raised beds and storage boxes next (we have a lot of spare wood from tearing down a big shed) but it's perhaps hyperbolic to say that a raised bed or storage box is making your life awesome.