1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

2. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I started rewatching all of those on DVD recently, that show's aged like a fine wine.

LennyRhys and David like this.
  3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Throttlebottom Johnson?

5. Nexxo

6. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Yeah, who would have thunk it - Brexit got done though.

Brexit, the cluster**** that just keeps on giving, but hey - we can increase our Nuclear arsenal /s

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Thanks for delivering one of the most succinct single-line summaries of Brexit. :thumb:

8. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

If you're wondering why this is posted in the Brexit thread you haven't been paying attention

boiled_elephant and Nexxo like this.
  9. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Thanks for posting that link. It's awful.

10. Nexxo

It's Britain's future. It's one of many reasons why I am leaving this country next year.

(Also why, despite earning over £70k a year, I've got a refurbished cheap laptop, a used mobile on a SIM-only contract and an 10-year old used car, and have nearly paid off my mortgage by now on a modest Victorian red-brick terrace, and why I am getting into growing and making my own stuff.)

11. boiled_elephant

Holy moley.

I also didn't know about all this remote shut-off stuff in hire purchase cars and smartphones, that's absolutely insane.

Ditto on all of that except having paid off the mortgage. edit - and the wage.

Last edited: 6 Apr 2021
  12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I paid off my mortgage by dint of having a house worth less than the deposit for most southern properties. Hooray for the north!

Elsewhere:

13. boiled_elephant

I have limited sympathy, despite knowing people in this predicament. I'm not very nationalistic in most respects, but when it comes to property and land ownership, I do think that allowing non-citizens to buy that stuff is bonkers. C.f. the London mess with most of the city centre being sat on by random Middle Eastern oil tycoons. I'd never buy a house in Spain and assume I have an indefinite right to access it. It's still someone else's country. If I want to live there I take it as a given that I'll need to get citizenship there.

Ooh I hate how BNP I sound when I start talking about foreign ownership of property. I swear I don't wear those colours on other occasions :worried:

14. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Of those people, the ones who voted to leave the EU, of which there were many, have only their idiotic selves to blame.

15. Nexxo

Just ensure that the buyer has economic ties to the area: will the home owner permanently live and work in the city/town/village where they buy the property? Otherwise you still have Brits coming down from the City of London to picturesque seaside villages in Cornwall, prizing locals who actually grew up there out of the housing market, forcing them to move away and live and work in industrial shitholes while their native villages are turned into pseudo-nostalgic pastiche theme parks that are dead outside of weekends and holiday season.

boiled_elephant and adidan like this.
  16. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Rocket surgery it ain't.
    Regardless of whichever way these expats voted, if they didn't understand that they needed to apply for residency they really shouldn't have been allowed a crayon to vote with.

But I suppose it wouldn't be headline tabloid news if they did a bit of research and set wheels in motion to look after themselves.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  17. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Indeed, the time to invest in rural land/property is now. The reason people moved to the city is two-fold - infrastructure and economic opportunity. Now that green technologies can replace centralised infrastructure, and automation replaces job opportunity, all we're left with is poor quality, cramped housing stock. The raison d'etre of urbanisation is increasingly obsolete.

18. Nexxo

Which is why my next home is going to be rural, with a decent plot of land and a substantial barn for a workshop.

perplekks45 and VipersGratitude like this.
  19. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

This thread is increasingly more depressing than the demote thread. @Nexxo I can't blame you for choosing to leave the country - one of my best mates is a consultant anaesthetist and he took his family to live in Australia in 2019. They were open to returning to the UK in the future, however as the situation has developed it seems less likely that this will happen.

We're currently moving house and have put an offer in on a rural property, however we're duly informed that we'll be competing with people who want a "nice second home." I have two keyboards, and two dogs. Can't quite get my head around the idea of having more than one home, even if I had enough money for it.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  20. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Meibion Glyndŵr had the right idea!

Nexxo likes this.