1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I spent a couple hours meticulously running and tacking a mains cable from the consumer unit to the opposite corner of the garage for the server cab. It wasn't a long run and I could have taken an easy route and had it done far more quickly, but I went for the tidy route instead - behind and underneath things as and when etc. 6mm twin & earth not being the most compliant of cables made it all the more challenging, but I was pretty pleased with my effort by the end of it.

As I'm finishing up the socket at the end my wife comes in and says "Oh, I thought the rack was going to go there" -points to the totally obvious place where it should go, which also happens to be right next to the goddamn consumer unit-

So then I spent the next 30 minutes pulling it all down, and then had the socket in what was obviously the correct place to start with in 15 minutes flat.

Good use of time.

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Deleted

Last edited: 2 Apr 2021
  3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Yeah, I'd expected some weirdness from him - He is very deep into Christianity and the like, but what I've been seeing is way beyond what I'd expected in terms of meltdown. I don't fancy getting into the nitty-gritty, but it's on the verge of destroying his life personally and I dare say professionally. The lady's brother said that he hasn't even had chance to grieve yet because he's been dealing with their dad's behaviour the entire time that he hasn't been doing stuff with his newborn. It's been an unpleasant experience for all three of them, no doubt, but the dad has been making it worse for them all as far as I can tell.

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Death is stressful enough without family causing other issues, my OH's grandfather passed suddenly a couple of weeks ago, and already two of his children have had to try and cut off the 3rd as he was sneakily adding in costs going to him when he helped his mum sorting her finances....

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Lockdown ending because it means the little grots are out meaning we've had to have the fire brigade out to put out a fire in the field/trees.

Effin little shitebags, this place is a tinderbox right now and it was right by where the kestrels hang out.

6. Mister_Tad

I hate painting ceilings with a passion so intense that I would be insta-banned and possibly arrested if I were to put it into words.

That is all.

Bazz, yuusou, IanW and 2 others like this.
  7. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I now use a 12" roller on a decorating pole, it's a proper slog but it's over with quite quickly.

8. adidan

Pro tip - pay someone else to do it.

Edit: scratch that, they never do a good enough job.

9. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

My feet are ****ing killing me.

I feel a radox bucket is in order when I get back home

10. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

2 months on and mortage lender still not approving mortage despite seeing every transaction since start of Jan, having proof I've moved out of the house I sold to the ex, a letter stating I have, no finance or loans, no dependants, a quartre of house value deposit and a good amount of savings.

11. Mister_Tad

Noted... the pole might help just from the point of view of not being so close to it to get agitated about the finish. I kept second guessing whether I did certain bits, seeing roller strokes and uneven finish, especially where the cracks were filled... and now it's dried it looks excellent.

The main annoyance though is just having to cover eeeeverything. Takes as much time as the job itself.

This was one room and the whole lot really needed doing. For the halls I might see how I get on selectively patching/refinishing and feathering in with a mini roller though, saves me a few km of tape & drape.

Mainly this. I do know someone that would do a good job that we've used before, but also doing as much as I possibly can myself owing to the sheer number of jobs on the list. He's probably not available until 2023 anyway.

12. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Ah, no that does sound like a nightmare; I've only ever done it as step one of painting the entire room.

I kept notes when doing our bedroom, it took a total of 32 hours painting time. Ceiling walls, skirting, all the architrave (primer, undercoat, eggshell). Completely worth it though.

13. adidan

Uuggh. Thought i'd dodged anything beyond extra fatigue and a few aches post jab.

Then during the night it was "suprise mofo, you are now going to feel like a microwaved frozen apple pie while i kick the living daylights out of you"

Sleep and a pain free life are overrated anyway. So long as I can feel well enough to disappear into VR later that'll be fine. :thumb:

14. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

How are you doing now? I felt really bad the morning after my first jab, but after a couple of paracetamol things eased off a bit and I felt absolutely fine by lunchtime (other than a bit of a sore arm, but that was more bruised than anything vaccine specific).

adidan likes this.
  15. adidan

Thanks for asking, in bed.

My whole body feels likes it's had a kick im but it's easing a tad. Could be worse.

One odd thing, a side effect could be a loss of appetite and yet i've been stuffing my face. My stomach's been hunger rumbling like a thunderstorm rolling in over a desert. :lol:

Been knocking back the paracetamol since before the jab but my immune system is a bit of a bugger anyway so i'm not overly surprised.

I'm sure it'll be a bit better by the night/tomorrow.

The OH had a torrid time with the first jab but absolutely fine when she got her second so that's anecdotally reassuring.

16. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Bed is never a bad thing when the grots arrive. My wife had the Pfizer one (I had the AZ) and had a rotten headache for a couple of days but that was it. She has an autoimmune disorder as well (thyroid issues) and we thought that she might have a bigger reaction. We have both got our second doses in May so we shall see what happens there...

adidan likes this.
  17. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Ebay liars. I spent £60 on a paint kit for my bike. I bought this kit here.

[​IMG]

Noting the one in the middle. That was the important one to me. Only when it arrived it looked like this.

[​IMG]

"Hmm maybe they make custom cans with HOK in?". So I then spent a week stripping, sanding, priming the frame etc. Here it is with the "Shimrin" on it.

[​IMG]

Two days later after lots more prep I went to apply the candy. This is what happened.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then spotted it. Go back to the can that says "SILVER". If you look very carefully you can see underneath the hidey sticker it says "Wheel Silver". IE, that cheap, crap stuff you can buy at poundland for sprucing up your alloys. Only, it's crap. So as soon as I put anything even resembling professional on top of it it ate straight through it back down to the metal. Meaning not only have I wasted £40 (I have not opened the true 2k clear which was £20) but I have also wasted a week on prep and paint. Many man hours, basically. And the soul crushing part of it? is this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before I can even begin again.

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

PC has been running just fine for a while now... until last night when it started spontaneously rebooting. Almost exactly four ****ing weeks since I last saw this error:

[​IMG]

Luckily, I still have the CPU that @jinq-sea kindly loaned me, so hopefully I can at least now definitively confirm whether this is a CPU issue or not. What's irritating is that nothing I've done in the last four weeks - gaming, video editing/rendering, or even prime95 stress tests - has caused it to crash. All I was doing last night was watching bloody Mythbusters in a browser.

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Well, this board won't boot with an A6-9500, so RMA time it is!

20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Had four tyres fitted at the end of February... and assumed they'd done the job properly.

Went to top one up that was a little low, and discovered they'd lost a stem cover. Annoying, given it was the original cover for the Vauxhall pressure monitor, but whatever. These things happen.

Went to top up the rest, and it turns out they've swapped the pressure monitors on the passenger side. The front tyre has the rear tyre sensor in it, and vice-versa.

Rang the fitters and they said to go through Black Circles, which is closed today. Email sent, we'll have to see how long it takes them to send the mechanics back out to fix the problem...