1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Some family has moved in a few estates along from us, we have a park directly outside our address they’ve started to frequent, kids playing is not the issue.

problem is during that 3 hours of play its just constant never ending blood curdling screams... not loud playful fun. It actually sounds like they’re killing each other. Beating each other half to death, The first day it happened I physically went to look if someone was hurt... I presumed a fight had broken out.

Not only does that mean if I want peace and quiet I can’t be in the garden, more importantly, my 3 year old is terrified of the park.

It’s not just the kids that spend the time screaming either, clearly they’re a handful because the parents also scream at the top of their lungs for them to stop doing something...

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Kids scream when they play, dude. Not just loud play - that's the older ones - but full-on blood-curdling OTT screams. I think you've just been lucky up until now, if this is new to you. About ten years ago, we had a primary school playground at the other side of the back garden fence - it was hella loud, but you get used to it. Now, the kids in the neighbouring back gardens are just as loud, but I barely bat an eyelid.

Last edited: 11 Apr 2021
    Weekly_Estimate and bawjaws like this.
  3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

There are things in life I just don't want to get used to.

theshadow2001 likes this.
  4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Just did a quick 20 minute shakedown ride on my big boy bike (Boardman Road Team Carbon (stupid name, I know)). Just 20 minutes and I'm utterly ****ed.

It taught me several things:
    • Seat needs to tilt forward to spare me plums
    • Front derailleur is not quite right
    • The shakedown was for me, not the bike
    • This bike wants to go fast and I am not ready for that!!

goldstar0011 likes this.
  5. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Streaming Destiny 2 last night on my PC at 1440P with framerates in the "perfectly cinematic" 40-50FPS range.

Looked over to my wife's machine achieving over 80FPS at 3440x1440 on a 2070Super...

AMD / BUNGIE, sort your **** out please!

6. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Careful with that as too much and it can tip your body weight forwards and hurt your wrists.

Byron C likes this.
  7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Juuuuuust a smidge is all it needs, just to take the edge off.

New saddle would be nice, too. I don't want something all plush and smooshy, but the stock saddle on that thing has never been very nice...

8. Cookie Monster

The seatpost has notches within it, just move it by one and give it a test. If you to my half a dozen you may find you go from one extreme to the other.

Byron C likes this.
  9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Seems relevant:-

Arboreal and Byron C like this.
  10. Cookie Monster

That bike is far too big for that kid.

And keep it t weekend, pft, not a chance of that anymore.

Byron C and Arboreal like this.
  11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That COCOT ain't going to be an easy fix. Had a look inside, and there's nothing obviously wrong. There's a click in the handset when you work the hook, but no dialtone - and dialling anyway doesn't work (so it's not just a blown speaker or damaged handset cable.) It can receive incoming calls, interestingly - in that it rings, but if you take it off-hook the ringing stops without actually picking up the call; put it on-hook again and the ringing restarts (which means it's not just a damaged line cable.)

Going to desolder and replace the 3V internal battery, but I can't imagine that's critical to operation. After that, it's going to be tracing and testing. Bah.

12. Cookie Monster

I’ve no more Fox’s Party Rings.

IanW and ElThomsono like this.
  13. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Neither the estate agents or my solicitor know if the tenants of the house I'm buying are aware they need to move out........
    Am sure it's fine but it's got me fairly nervous.

I'm currenly living in a room smaller than the average prison cell, 4 months now.
    Just need some blooming space!

14. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

That sounds like a disturbing euphemism. :confused:

IanW and liratheal like this.
  15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

And we can never be sure that it isn't.

IanW and adidan like this.
  16. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Tested positive for the damn Rona. No symptoms. Doc reckons it's a false positive. Getting retested later in the week, because our health infrastructure has collapsed. Yay.

17. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

One of my colleagues has just properly screwed over a report template that represents a good couple months of work. Just so happens that nobody else uses that system enough to know how to repair it.
    So, it's up to me.
    Again.
    There may be a back up this time though, Mr butterfingers is checking now.

I dislike people.

IanW and perplekks45 like this.
  18. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Frozen shoulder still frozen. Not as bad as a few years ago but still.

Not fun times.

19. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

You have my full sympathy, I have had shoulder problems since the end of last summer, which have deteriorated into a frozen shoulder.

I overdid it digging (and refilling) the trench all the way to the bottom of the garden for the electric cable for the garden office we put in.

At Christmas, I had a slip on frosty ground and wrenched my shoulder avoiding a fall; that really messed it up and undid all the physio had done.

My range of movement with my right arm is pitiful for my age, and the pain at night has not helped getting a good night's sleep for a long time.

I've put my healthcare plan from work into action and am having arthroscopy to sort it tomorrow afternoon.

I had an MRI a few weeks ago, and was offered a range of options, including 'it will sort itself out i 12-24 months...'

I'm relieved that my surgeon has had a frozen shoulder on both sides, so knows what it's like.

See you on the other side, hoping for a normal range of movement and to be able to go kayaking again.

adidan likes this.
  20. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

[​IMG]

WTAF was I thinking.

Yes, that’s over 100 boxes of IKEA.
    Yes, I hate myself.

Weekly_Estimate and Goatee like this.