1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Need advice on new genres/games to explore

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by SuperHans123, 25 Apr 2021.

1. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I have been gaming for around 40 odd years now, right back to the hand held electronic era, pong etc (52 yrs old)
    Over time, my tastes have changed and I only really enjoy 'immersive sims'/stealth games like Deus Ex, Prey, Alien isolation, Splinter Cell series, Hitman, Fallout, Dishonored etc and have lost interest in most other genres.
    I used to love shooters but they leave me pretty cold these days.
    GTA, ok for a casual pick up but nothing to really look forward to playing whilst grinding through the work day.
    Racing games? They all seem the same to me now. Used to love rally games but they are also all the same..'flat left, easy right, don't cut' etc
    No real interest in Warcraft or anything with orcs and trolls or 3rd person games like The Witcher (Apart from Splinter Cell, no sign of a new release there)
    Indie games that look like they were made for the ZX81 or a mobile phone, not interested.
    Fighting games, dungeons and dragons, anything like that, forget it!
    Tried a 'walking simulator' the other day...I was surveyor inspecting dams etc...jeese that was boring very quick.
    Multiplayer? Forget it. I still play the original Half Life online now and then but anything else..insta death from unseen foes does not really do it for me.
    Strategy games? Feels like 'work' to me after sitting at a computer all week. Not interested in anything too deep, just some gentle challenges along the way.

So I realise I am massively pigeonholing myself here but its best to be honest.

Does anyone have any advice on how to break out of my self imposed gaming prison?

Cheers.

Last edited: 25 Apr 2021
  2. loftie

loftie Multimodder

So that we're clear
    • no FPS
    • no RTS/TBS
    • no fighters
    • no 3rd person games
    • no orksies (remove Fallout, supermutants are basically orks)
    • no multiplayer
    • no indie games
    Not asking for much :p:
    I suspect these will feature on your no list, but

Subnautica
    Some form of space sim (is Elite solo play anyone? Or maybe rebel galaxy outlaw I think is SP)
    Mirrors Edge
    Dying Light

Curiously, which of the Fallout games did you like and what about it did you enjoy/what did you enjoy doing in it?

SuperHans123 likes this.
  3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

In light of this:
    [​IMG]

adidan, Hex and SuperHans123 like this.
  4. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I realise my post was more than faintly ridiculous so cheers for trying to help.
    I enjoyed Fallout 4 for the exploration, setting (post nuclear world) and low level weapon crafting etc
    I tried Mirrors Edge a while back and while it looked amazing it got old it pretty quick as did SuperHot and Dying Light.

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I think you've been playing games too long and the novelty has worn off.

I have a hypothesis that game reviewers are a bit like that. They have seen so much of more or less the same thing they tend to swoon over things that bring the slightest bit of novelty, even if the game isn't particularly fantastic over all. Where as a game they would find dull and pedestrian could probably appeal to many gamers who simply aren't as jaded.

So maybe its just time to hang up the keyboard and mouse, and find some new pursuits?

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Alternatively, they've played and analysed so many games of varying type and quality that they garnered some knowledge (expertise, even) about games and are possibly better tuned to pick up nuanced differences that can set some games apart from the pack?

7. loftie

loftie Multimodder

No problem! Reason I asked about Fallout was it didn't seem to fit in the immersive sim or stealth categories - and I generally play Skyrim, FO3, FONV and FO4 in a stealthy way. So you do in fact like games that aren't just immersive sims or stealth :winking:

Now I had orignally written, that maybe you're suffering from apathy towards gaming in general, in which case I'd probably agree with @theshadow2001 in that a break is probably in order. Temporary or otherwise. Or that you're just fed up with the games that you've, as you've put, pidgeoned holed yourself into. So, something to think about.

Leaving the above aside, the elephant in the room is obviously Skyrim....
    since it's Fallouts fantasy cousin. And while I know you've said no dungeons and dragons, you've already been sold orks (supermutants), different races (ghouls), odd wildlife, and dungeons (vaults/caves). Also magic (wazer wifles). Ok the last one is more of a stretch.
    But it has the exploration, and weapon/armour crafting. So something to think about if you've completely avoided it until now. (It took me 4 attempts to enjoy FO3 over a few years originally)

So, onwards!

I mentioned Subnautica before, I think the fact you mentioned exploration reinforces that pick for me.

So in addition to the ones mentioned in my previous post

Mass Effect. N.B. the 'legendary edition' comes out soon IIRC.
    TBH, I've assumed most people have played it. Now lets get into the cons. It's 3rd person, it's a shooty game (mostly). Original game is a bit rougher IMHO in terms of gameplay. That said, different worlds/environments to explore and an overarching story. I'd throw in Dragon Age too, but considering it's fantasy I feel that it might be a stretch on top of the Mass Effect 'stretches'. ME:Andromeda, exists. Different people like different things, and while I don't dislike it, it hasn't grabbed me like ME1,2+3 did

Ones I've not played...

The Outer Worlds.
    I've not played, I've not seen much beyond the trailers, I just know that fallout is mentioned whenever I've seen it talked about - and I don't think that's just because of Obsidian. So while this isn't a recommendation, it's more of a look into it if it's slipped under your radar.

Titanfall 2
    Our local Bit-Tech review mentions it's the best single player campaign since HL2 IIRC. Sure it's shooty, but if the story is that strong it may grab you.

Metros and Tomb Raider get a mention too.

Everything I've suggested are complete shots in the dark TBH, and I assume you've probably seen/played them before, but if not hopefully something will hit. But I suspect you'll have to compromise on one of your Nos. Heck, maybe something so far removed from what you're after might end up being a complete breath of fresh air.

8. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

+1 to Subnautica, also maybe give No Man's Sky a look, you can play it just about any way you want. Astroneer is also a lot of fun. It sometimes looks like Elite is the grown-up version, NMS is the more relaxed version and Astroneer is the kid's version of the same space sim. I think they're all great though and Humble has NMS & Astroneer in their Earth Day sale.

How about puzzle-type things? Outer Wilds (not to be confused with Outer Worlds - why they released at the same time with names that similar - who knows?!) is a lovely little game, it is Indie, but the graphics aren't pixels. Really should not be judging games on looks though :grr: If we all did that, people would be accomplishing things and not addicted to OSRS!

Another one is The Sexy Brutale, which does have the worst name ever - but is a really, really great game! In fact, if you can get over the no indie games thing, all Tequila Works games are worth playing. I really loved RiME.

My final suggestion, I've deliberately gone for things I don't think other people will suggest - so I know they're a bit "out there" from your list :hehe:, is The Talos Principle. Great puzzle game, gave me motion sickness - but it's still good!

Goatee, SuperHans123 and loftie like this.
  9. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Played all the Metros and always felt there is ‘something’ missing from them, tried Subnaitica, hated it, Titanfall 2 was great t absolutely zero compulsion to play it again, TOW, horrendous colourblind colour scheme put me right off as did the seaside arcade grabber toy enemies, Mass Effect series, dialogue, skip, dialogue, skip, dialogue, skip.. tell the bloody story through gameplay!!
    A break is needed I think.

10. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I was tempted to suggest NMS, but it always feel too sandboxy, so didn't. Was gonna suggest Talos Principle, along with the Witness, but then gentle challenges put me off doing so.

:hehe:

Sounds like you might be right. But I feel better that I got a hit with Titanfall 2, even if you have played it already and don't want to again.

SuperHans123 and Hex like this.
  11. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

If you hated Subnautica for any reason other than "it's underwater", then NMS may not be for you either. Though NMS has come a long way and does have many different ways to play now.

Yeah, Talos puzzles are not that gentle, it's true! :lol: The 'Circular' (Quarantine Circular and Subsurface Circular) games from Mike Bithell are much more gentle on the challenge front, they're point and click stories at the heart of it. The games are really short though. So even if you like them, you'll be back at this question again pretty swiftly!

loftie likes this.
  12. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I think a sabbatical is called for. I think I am going to knock it on the head for a few months until Deathloop comes out as that looks promising.
    Appreciate all the considered words of advice and lack of judgement!

Mr_Mistoffelees, loftie and Hex like this.
  13. slimithy

slimithy Minimodder

That just narrowed it right down to first party Nintendo games:hehe:

Maybe some pick-up-and-play games, Streets of Rage 4, Hearthstone, any Lego game, Worms, Pacman 256, and so on.

Last edited: 25 Apr 2021
    SuperHans123 likes this.
  14. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Old school but revisit the Lucas Arts games (Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island, etc), From Dust was good (don't know if it still holds up - think Populous), LA Noire, Bioshock series (story), Don't Starve (although Indy). I'm stuck on Ark Survival as my go to game at the moment... although I do get severe burn out and need a week or so break after long sessions... and I only play PVE so it's not as if it's a real challenge.

In the same vein as Lucas Arts, try The Walking Dead series - first time (and last) I've ever cried at a video game ending...

For quick gaming, I like a session or two of Tower Defence games (currently Rush Royale on iPad).

15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

OP has already said it, but taking a break (even a year or two) does wonders for refreshing interest in gaming.

Currently lining up Horizon Zero Dawn myself...

boiled_elephant and SuperHans123 like this.
  16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Just started this 'cos Sony's giving it away for free. It's pretty good, though the NPCs often decide to get partially stuck on scenery and start bobbing up and down in mid-air like a flying fish...

17. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Time to invest in VR?
    Quest 2 is only £300 and they recently release "Air Link" to enable wirelessly play PC VR

Lone Echo, Stormland, Asgard's Wrath, Vertigo, Virtual virtual reality, Vader Immortal and last but not least, Half life Alyx

This change may also give you a newfound interest in flat-screen games after a while.

Oh yes, if you are a Star Wars fan, Jedi Fallen Order and Squadrons are must-play.

SuperHans123 likes this.
  18. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I wish there was a tickbox in the Steam client settings that would permanently tell them this exact thing. Search by tags: co-op, casual, local multiplayer. Results: 9,000 items, all of them crappy 8-bit sidescrollers. Grr.
    I feel this so much. Personally, and in reference to reviewers too. It's why Heavy Rain was lauded. It is a good story/film, but it isn't much of a game. But middle-aged guys who grew up playing shooters and RPGs are burnt out on shooters and RPGs, and an interactive digital film is a pretty exciting idea then.

However, @SuperHans123, before you take flight and discover the outdoors, you should probably break your 3rd-person rule once to try Mass Effect 1 or 2, or The Witcher 3. Cos dayum.

edited to remove the loathsome Mass Effect suggestion, just seen you don't like dialogue heavy stuff!

Edit 2 -
    I am deeply offended.

Last edited: 3 May 2021
    SuperHans123 likes this.
  19. creative

creative 500rwhp

Red Dead 2.

You sound like me tbh. games these days just dont grab me. I also enjoyed F4 for the exploring and witcher 3 and I was apprehensive about RD2 initially but geeze, the game hooked me bad! There is so much to do and see and the story is amazing!

boiled_elephant likes this.
  20. oscy

oscy Modder

It sounds like you've just been trying random games, like the walking simulator. Gaming can seem formulaic or not so fun if you play a few 7/10 (or worse) games. This is a trap a lot of people now fall into as they redeem all these free games, so are playing stuff they wouldn't have otherwise bothered with. You can discover games this way, but there's a lot of 'meh' too. If you're trying random stuff, maybe this is you.

Even if games get suggested to you, some you'll like, some you'll hate. I love RDR2, some hate it. wyx087 says Jedi Fallen Order is a must play, yet I consider it one of the worst Star Wars games ever made.

Don't you hear about games that you get excited about like Cyberpunk, Resident Evil, Call of Diddly etc? Are there any really recent games you wanted and loved playing? Hitman 3 I'm guessing is one.

And what about replaying old favourites? Maybe get the Nintendo or Mega Drive out!