1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education The weight loss thread

Discussion in 'General' started by mansueto, 25 Feb 2013.

1. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Ditto.

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Aye i'm still dodging them too :happy:

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  3. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

I'm less than I started the first lockdown back in March '20, but well up from my lowest.
    Just dont have the motivation to stop eating - its about the only comfort i have. And i dont have the time to exercise what with work & childcare - closest I get is the occasional family bike ride, so at the pace of a 5yr old.

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I'm 2 stone up since Christmas, do I win......:duh:

I actually had to go and buy some bigger clothes, what a state :nono:

5. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm now down exactly 2 stone / 28lb since starting this properly 13th July 2020. Here's the graph for the last year.
    Screenshot_20210424_120942.jpg

LennyRhys, legoman, yuusou and 3 others like this.
  6. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

That's an impressive level of commitment right there, and two stone is A LOT of weight. I reckon I've plateaued for the past 6 months or so, and my excuses are injury from weight lifting and also lockdown affecting my motivation to eat (and live) healthily.

7. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I can see it. The closer I get to my goal weight the more each 5 lb shows. Classic paper towel effect. You can see some drops around when I got my bike, Xmas and when I ****ed my ankle but other than that it's been good. I think the bike this was about putting on muscle but unsure. As often as its said it really is about a lifestyle change instead of a diet. I could see me eating the way I do atm for the rest of my life and would be fine with it. Although I've done 28 I still have 52 or so to go I think.

LennyRhys likes this.
  8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I know it's not strictly weight loss but it's related.
    Started a new program a day early to christen my latest purchase, completing the home gym (for now at least!)
    [​IMG]

Hoping this will take me back to my previous numbers so I can start hitting some new PBs!
    Will see how my weight reacts to a stricter workout regime for a couple of weeks, then food will get tweaked I think.

LennyRhys and MLyons like this.
  9. adidan

Finally weighed myself, after 163 days apparently.

I had put a bit on before that weigh in, not chonkers mind, and my lifestyle has been so bad i've given myself a frozen shoulder.

That said i've gained 1lb. That's before a dump so i'll take that!

So hopefully as my shoulder eases and I start moving my backside more things should improve.

Reckon I fancy knocking off about a stone, without dieting though - I don't do them.

Just eat a bit less and move a bit more generally works for me.

10. MadGinga

Weighed myself this morning, and it confirmed i'm pretty much back to exactly where I started last lockdown - oh well time to try again; gonna aim to get back to fighting weight (sub 100kg - ideally low-mid 90's) by my birthday (October) and then focus on fitness.
    ~20kg in just shy of 5 months, gotta be doable right?

Shame i snack when i've stressed, and thats pretty much my life at the mo :(

11. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Surely choosing to eat less is still a diet? :lol:

For myself, my weight is pretty similar to pre-lockdown but I have lost quite a bit of muscle - before Covid I was commuting to the office on my bike every day, so racking up 60 miles a week, every week, at a minimum. Now I am lucky to have time to get out on the bike once a fortnight and my legs are like sticks :( But despite that I weigh pretty much the same as I did before, which suggests that I have replaced that muscle with fat. I wouldn't say that I look fat, particularly, but I am definitely not as trim as I used to be. Now the weather is turning nice again I really, really need to start making the time to exercise more, as much for general fitness as anything else.

Who knew that sitting on your arse all day wasn't good for you? :idea:

12. adidan

:happy:

I guess, although i'm meaning more in terms of just having one helping rather than going back for more. :happy:

13. MadGinga

I know what you mean, yes cutting out excess eating is a kind of diet (i probably hate the word more than most people seem to hate moist) but its not the whole count your calories, only eat protein after 7pm, shakes for breakfast and lunch shenanigans that are sold as diets...

But its the only way that works for me, anything extreme will just make me want to snack more and what little willpower i have with regards to food quickly crumbles.

14. adidan

It's the 'doing more' I really have to come to grips with.

It's a balancing act with other ailments - never been that great at saying no to my stubborn headedness and doing myself more harm than good.

I will learn one day :happy:

15. TechBuggy

TechBuggy What's a Dremel?

Hey man, just asking, where did you buy that equipment?

16. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Bunch of it from Mirafit including the bench, bar, some of the plates.
    Some of the other plates are from extreme fitness (the 25kg bumpers), also got a pair of 15kg bumpers from strength shop at the moment.
    The rack is from primal strength, but I managed to get it 2nd hand, definitely overkill for what I'm using it for at the moment but liked the idea of getting something that would last :)

The rubber mat was from a local company.

17. oscy

oscy Modder

I've had to rush to town to try to find mens' trousers in 'lockdown fat' sizes because now companies are doing in-person meetings and interviews again. What has society come to, making me wear trousers?

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  18. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Now well past any previous weight peaks, currently around 18st, 3stone more than what i would say is "suitable". Considering going back on intermittent fasting, which will be tough as last time i did it i hadn't really eaten lunch much in years and smoked, but it worked and meant it wasn't so absolute and restrictive that i would be craving things. Just wanted to see if anyone had heard/read anything negative about it in recent years, like exploding spleens or something. Last I heard it was considered to be quite healthy and even possibly regenerative.

19. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I'm pretty sure humans are designed to go considerable periods without food, from back in the day when it wasn't so abundant. So I reckon a bit of intermittent fasting isn't going to do anything physically adverse.

20. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Methinks, spleen explosion is something I would want to avoid!