1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yeah the nightly abrupt wake ups with the shoulder going "you're not doing that!" or "you've been in this position too long" and sending shooting burning pain through the arm isn't the best eh?

Thankfully it ain't as bad as last time, I have more movement than then and am back on the stretching regime.

It's down to not moving it enough generally during lockdown and when I have moved it it's been lugging things around or diy-ery.

Actually a bit like your frost dancing on ice I nearly threw myself down the stairs and it was of course my left arm and shoulder that grabbed out and stopped me. I knew then something wasn't right and bubbling up but I stupidly ignored it when lockdown kicked in.

But yeah, sympathies back at you dude - let me know how the arthroscopy goes. :thumb:

Bodies - they're nothing but trouble.

2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Thanks, I'll be back in touch on Friday I hope.
    Yes, the shooting/burning pain down the arm has been with me for months, so much so that I'm quite used to it as a constant companion!

I'm isolating at home, which feels odd. I was told that after my pre op tests I'd have to stay away from everyone until I went in.

Moved into the spare room, and going from there to the other spare room as my office in the day.

Ironically, my wife will be driving me to the hospital, it'll be masks and the widows open I guess.

Depending where I am on the afternoon list and how I come round, I can come home tomorrow night. Otherwise it's a night in the hospital.

3. adidan

@Arboreal I hope you make it straight back home, hospitals ain't great places to (try and) sleep at the best of times - let alone at the mo.

Yeah the self isolating from the person driving you to the blummin place seems weird eh? I guess it's just to reduce percentage chance variables.

Still far better than getting in a taxi that's had a bajillion different people in it.

Good luck and make sure your phone is fully charged before you go. Oh, and remember a charger :happy:

4. Arboreal

Thanks @adidan .
    Must remember power bank, papery book to read and maybe some earplugs?

You're right on the transport, taxi or bus? On this occasion, No thanks....

5. adidan

Definitely.

And an eye mask if you have one from a flight or somewhere. From what I remember of sleeping in hospitals they tend to stay pretty bright throughout the night.

I guess they need to see what they're doing :)

6. Arboreal

Earplugs, found.
    Eye mask, not sure if I have one.
    Clean black sock will have to do...

Vault-Tec likes this.
  7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Wow, what a masochist.

Bloody Americans and their fetishes :p

liratheal, IanW and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  8. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Found out my grandad has prostate cancer, he basically raised me ffs.

9. adidan

Ah ffs, really sorry to hear that mate.

I'd like the world to throw money at scientists to collectively work on cancer like they have covid.

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  10. Arboreal

So sorry to hear about prostate cancer @Weekly_Estimate. I hope it's slow developing and can be treated well. It's not great, but not the worst cancer.

In other news I'm in hospital feeling shredded. Will be staying in overnight to start the recovery.
    Op went well, was out for a longer time than expected.
    When I was conscious enough to ask, someone got my phone for me.
    Started to message family but note from my wife to say she fell down the stairs this afternoon and ended up in A&E with a broken foot /ankle.
    She's home with a boot and is in pain.
    I'm staying in overnight but feeling helpless as I'm partly immobilised for the moment.
    Bit of a mess :(

11. adidan

Bloody hell, sounds like your wife went a bit extreme so she didn't have to do nursing duties!

Hope you're both on the mend soon.

Damn, just thought does that mean you have to get a grubby taxi back home?

perplekks45 likes this.
  12. Arboreal

Thanks, not great she went in a dirty taxi...
    Typing sloow one handed
    My dad should be able to take me home. They're local
    The hangover stomach is the worst bit right now

13. satisfiedwimp

satisfiedwimp Minimodder

So sorry to hear that, be strong for your Granddad, he needs it now more than ever.

14. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Emptying dishwasher on my day off.

Back goes 'pop,'

Laid on floor next to dishwasher sobbing like a two year old who dropped his ice cream. Moving again now but Dear God that was a lot of pain from picking up a single empty drinks bottle.

15. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

At first I was like, don't cry you can buy a new dishwasher, they remebered I'm getting old and pop is the sound a back can make.

16. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Jeez are you being punished for something?! :p

So sorry to hear this. FIngers crossed for your Grandad. Cancer can go do one tbh.

Hope you and wife get on the mend quickly! :)

17. adidan

@Arboreal How are you and the good lady coping?

Has it got to the competition of who feels the worse?

I mean, of course you win that as it wasn't self-inflicted. :happy:

Arboreal likes this.
  18. Arboreal

Thanks @xaser04, and @adidan; gentle exercise and painkillers are helping all round

We have put a simple day plan together so there's no hurry and raid movement needed!

Mine was self inflicted to a degree, in as much that I overdid it digging the trench in the garden for the cabin electrics last summer... I didn't stop when it hurt, and did my hour long sessions thinking it would get better with more exercise.

Apart form the pain when I do the stretches, I'm pretty good. Disappointingly still washed out from the general anaesthetic but no longer queasy thankfully.

SWMBO definitely has it worst, as putting all your weight on on foot to move any distance is hard, even with crutches or a zimmer. Also, she has to keep the other foot not touching anything, which means the bot goes on for even the shortest trip.
    She's sore, frustrated and still a bit delicate understandably. I have never seen bruising like she has on her foot!

We'll settle into a better routine (both taken the week off sick) in time, and it will become easier. I should be able to drive again at the end of the week, thankfully I have no pressing engagements or placed to be.
    An online shop is coming tomorrow, and I'm able to bulk cook stuff for the freezer, which will pay dividends when we're tired.

Thanks all for the moral support, good to have you out there!

19. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Good to know you are both on the mend. As you say make sure you take it gentle and don’t push it too hard. :happy:

20. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Hawthorne, my cat, passed away from pyrethrin poisoning this morning. It appears Karen's brother got high, sprayed ant killer and she got in it.

12 years old. Last living link to my son. Don't know what I'm gonna do.

Looks like it was exposure over time. Still hurts like hell.

Last edited: 27 Apr 2021