1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Humble to limit charity bundles split to 15 per cent

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 27 Apr 2021.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

I don’t mind a minimum 15% going to HB.
    I don’t mind giving money to international charities.

But I won’t be forced to fund specifically American charities. I just won’t buy bundles if they try to do that. It’s like google always throwing up American ads and American search results.

Thanks yanks, but no thanks.

ModSquid likes this.
  3. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Yep, I've often thought this as the reason for the decline in quality of the bundles themselves. Whenever I bought something off HB, I've always allocated everything to the charities, though like @monty-pup said, not being able to choose which charities isn't great.

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I'll definitely be using them less if they do this.

I don't think this is an improvement. I could accept a minimum set (say, 10% minimum for publisher/charity/Humble) but this will make me look harder at things before actually hitting that pay button. There are some charities I simply refuse to support. And some publishers, too, despite previously liking a few of the games they make.

ModSquid likes this.
  5. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Completely agree with all of the above. I set my preferred charity to Guide Dogs or RNIB but it does often get overwritten.

Also paused my Humble Choice for the last year or so, because the quality there has fallen considerably. Occasionally there might be a single bigger name title I'll be interested in (think it was Control recently), but it's going to be no more expensive to wait for it on gutter sale, plus I get to defer that cost until I've finished some others. The rest of the monthly offerings are increasingly filler.

6. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

It's a bit tragic that the wheels seem to be coming off - I wonder why publishers have started to cool on their model?

Worse will be that some people see this story reported across the gaming press and trot off to other storefronts that give 0% of their income to charities. Perhaps a fitting outcome for our stupid reactionary age.

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Partially, the other reason is that humble squirrel away the good stuff for the subscription.

8. loftie

loftie Multimodder

True, but at the same time I've rarely felt the sub was worth it most month too - though that's entirely subjective.

9. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

Sooooo I’ve just checked HB tonight to see what’s on offer and there is a Lego bundle.

7 Lego games. Which I may never get around to playing due to massive backlog of games; lots of other priorities like BAFTA games, and multiplayer commitments.

£7.26 for tier 3 unlock beat the average price. 7 games. Reasonable. I’ve never played a Lego game before.

I scroll down and the charity is defaulted to an American one. I try and change it to a UK based RSPCA and on my phone (iPhone 11 Max, latest update) the scrolling selection for the charities is screwed up and won’t scroll past the first one listed. I change it to Oxfam and it’s the same.

I then tap to show the defaulted split:

£4.72 … Warner Brothers Games
    £0.37 … Oxfam UK
    £2.17 … Humble Tip

I cannot change this split.

I’m not happy with how they seem to be giving a small fraction to the charity - 5.3%?

The way I’ve worked these bundles in the past; AAA publisher; applied to this Lego bundle would have been:

£1.00 … Warner Brothers Games
    £5.72 … Oxfam
    £1.00 … Humble Tip

or if it had been an indie bundle:

£5.72 … to the indie collective
    £1.00 … Oxfam
    £1.00 … Humble Tip

I won’t be buying this bundle.

Paradigm Shifter likes this.
  10. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I've bought a lot of games on Humble that I would never have even thought about buying, even if 90% off in a Steam sale, simply because the Humble Bundle meant I could give something I was curious about a try while just shrugging off, "Well, the money has gone to charity anyway, so if I don't like it..."

I usually find there is a great game once every three months or so. Some of the afterthought games that are thrown in also end up being a distraction for a while, so I'm not too upset.

loftie likes this.
  11. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

This is pretty much the way I've split it too.

Seeing the loss of options is a big disappointment. While I can see that the company needs to survive and that this might be the only way to get "good" games, it's a disappointment nonetheless.

monty-pup likes this.
  12. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

This month's Choice is a good example - Metro Exodus as the headliner, Darksiders (Genesis?) which looks like another generic top-down shooter and the rest are of no interest at all. And a US charity.

Tags: Add Tags