1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Power Tools

Discussion in 'General' started by LennyRhys, 24 Apr 2021.

1. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I'm not expecting (or planning) to use all three tools at once, hence why with three batteries I can always have one on charge if needs be. Given that the drill and impact drivers are brushless, I might get one of the smaller batteries somewhere down the line. I have no objection to heavy / cumbersome tools, so the bulk of the 5Ah batteries doesn't bother me at all.

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm on the cusp of purchasing the DTW1002Z for ..Reasons, looks like a handy thing to have for car stuff, the diddy impact I have is mostly good for screws rather than anything meaty, although it did get wheel nuts off until the adaptor broke.

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Yeah that's the one I was looking at. I assume for similar, um, reasons.

LennyRhys and liratheal like this.
  4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I've the DeWalt equivelant (DCF899) and it's very convenient for working on cars. It's only been strictly necessary once or twice but it really does make jobs go a lot quicker.

liratheal likes this.
  5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Did some more organizing in the garage and sheds last night, and have taken a Makita inventory in the process:

DHP458 Combi drill
    DTD146 Impact driver
    DJV182 Jigsaw
    DHS710 36v Circular saw
    DHR242 SDS Drill
    DML812 Torch/Work light
    DUX60 36v Split shaft motor
    EM406MP Line Trimmer
    DLM533 36v Lawnmower
    DBO180 Random orbit sander
    DUB183 Blower
    DUH523 Hedge Trimmer
    DJR181 Reciprocating saw
    DUM604 grass/hedge shears
    LS1040 Mitre saw
    RT0700 Router/Trimmer
    5704RK Circular saw
    DC18RD Dual fast charger
    4x BL1830 3ah
    4x BL1860b 6ah
    1x BL1815 1.5ah

And a whole bunch of MakPacs that will probably end up FS at some point.

Non-Makita: angle grinder, planer, heat gun, 240v jigsaw, pillar drill, 38cm scarifier/dethatcher, oscillating cutter, dremel, vac

In the next week or so, LE400MP split shaft extension and EN401MP hedge trimmer

I'm not sure there's really anything on the wish list. A DTM51 and one of the LXT angle grinders would be nice to replace my corded ones and I'd pick one up if I ever spied either at a remarkable price. But I can get by with a cord otherwise. An angle drill would be really nice to have, and I may have to proactively start looking for one - it's never something I think I'll need until I need it, and then have to kludge something to work around it.

6. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

My thinking is that if I have a tool that will only ever be used / needed in the workshop, it will be corded. I will be doing fence and gate building pretty soon after moving, hence the necessity for cordless tools. One side of the garden runs about 35m, and thankfully I don't need to fence all of it. Oh boy!

Edit: just took delivery of the circular saw this evening. First impressions are fair - it's very heavy and surprisingly quiet. Not that it matters, but the blade guard is plastic and I was expecting a metal one as per the photos on Screwfix. The angle and depth adjustments feel extremely solid and the ergonomics are great.

Together with the battery it came to £175, and it should last me a good few years.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 28 Apr 2021
    boiled_elephant likes this.
  7. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

How's this for a power tool:

[​IMG]

A Singer 99K, I probably only use it once or twice a year but it runs sweet as a nut, my Gran bought it new and I've inherited it through necessity.

I tell you what, it scares me more than the table saw does :hehe:

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

That's one heck of a Singer for sure. My wife has a Singer overlocker, but nothing of that vintage.

Re. cordless power tools, I took the circular saw to B&Q today (as suggested by @ElThomsono ) and it really proved its worth, slicing down some 3m timber so that I could fit it into the big car. I only needed to take off about 30cm and I took the handsaw in case of rain but all went as planned and the job was done probably inside of a minute. I've also made far more use of the drill and driver than I thought I would with the work I'm doing in the attic, so it's as well I got them when I did.

This is the current state of affairs with the attic - all the plaster board and most of the studs have been removed, and all that's left to do now is to reinstate ties and struts as per original construction. It's been like this for at least 15 years, but with the purlins being (mostly) unsupported it's probably good that this is being rectified now.

[​IMG]

adidan and liratheal like this.
  9. TechBuggy

TechBuggy What's a Dremel?

It scaresd me the most, I didn't even know how to use it, last time I tried, I felt like the machine will eat my fingers if I continue with it lol.

10. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Picked up another nail gun today:

[​IMG]

It weighs more than my Hilti but doesn't feel it as it's just so massive :hehe:

Got a fencing project lined up so this should make it a breeze.

d_stilgar, Yaka and LennyRhys like this.
  11. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

LennyRhys and Arboreal like this.
  12. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Is that a 20V little saw? If so, I have its 12V baby brother.
    It's been great for cutting plywood and for all the load of feather board I cut up the other week.
    The only downside is that the guard needs manually moving when it hits an edge and trips up and binds otherwise.

13. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yes 20v, labelled as a plunge saw, I already have the batteries for it but bought another as the two I have tend to be reserved for my mower.

I'll keep an eye out for any potential guard issue.

Arboreal likes this.
  14. veato

veato I should be working

I heard Lidl/Aldi tools are compatible with Einhell batteries. Can anyone confirm?

15. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

It does have an issue with the guard not unlocking, need to see if I can tweak it a bit.

16. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Interested to see how that goes. I'm not using mine much, so using the manual guard lifter as I start my cut. Seems to work fine.

17. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Not the Parkside x20 ones.

18. jinq-sea

Just bought a brushless Makita LXT Multitool and an LXT worklight. I keep hovering over the random orbital polisher, too.

19. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

20. jinq-sea

I looked at that a couple of times. I wonder how 'acceptable' the coffee it makes is?